Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DX7 to MOD7
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: DX7 to MOD7 Reply with quote

What is the format that MOD7 takes to import a DX7 program? Does it also accept DX7II programs?

I have a number of libraries I'd like to try, but it will be a challenge to get them to work since they are in my old Galaxy librarian format!
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: DX7 to MOD7 Reply with quote

aron wrote:
What is the format that MOD7 takes to import a DX7 program? Does it also accept DX7II programs?

I have a number of libraries I'd like to try, but it will be a challenge to get them to work since they are in my old Galaxy librarian format!

Some excerpts from the manual:

The MOD‐7 can load sounds created for the vintage DX7. There are thousands of these sounds available on the internet, providing a massive pre‐existing library of timbres (in addition to the many sounds created exclusively for the MOD‐7!). Try searching for “DX7 SysEx download.”

Once loaded, you can bring these vintage sounds up to date using all of the MOD‐7’s unique features, layer them with other EXi, and process them with KARMA and the KRONOS effects.

The conversion works by reading .SYX format System Exclusive files. This format is supported by programs on all major computer operating systems.

Supported file types

In order to load a file, it must meet the following requirements:

• The file may contain multiple System Exclusive messages, but only if the main DX7 bank dump is the first of these messages. All subsequent messages in the file will be ignored.

Note: some instruments, such as the DX7II, may transmit multiple System Exclusive messages when doing their program data dump, with the main DX7 bank dump coming last. If this set of messages is stored into a single .SYX file, the KRONOS will not be able to load the file.

• The System Exclusive must be in the original, first‐ generation DX7 format, which was supported by all of the classic 6‐operator FM synths as well as the DX9. System Exclusive files from later‐generation FM instruments, such as 4‐operator “baby DX” synths and the TX81Z, SY77, etc., cannot be loaded.

Hope this helps!

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: DX7 to MOD7 Reply with quote

aron wrote:

Practically speaking, that may be a problem unless you have a DX7II.

When I was working on my Challenger Tribute project, I was able to import some of my DX7II sounds into Mod-7 and I got the whole process to work. I was searching for my notes and couldn't find them yet, I may have backed them up onto the back-up DVDs of the whole project. But I remember I had to do some "work" to make it work.

I think what I did was:

1. Bulk Dump the data from the DX7II into the SNoize SysEx Librarian on Mac (free utility), which allows you to save it as a .SYX file.
2. The tricky part was, I had to open the resulting dump in a hex editor, and edit out part of the data, resaving it before the Kronos would read it (after I moved it there on a USB stick). I think there was some header information that needed to be removed. After that, though, it did work perfectly. Wink

EDIT: oh, and then, if you want, you will have to tweak some of the velocity response settings in each of the 6 operators, because the DX7 series had a max high velocity of 96 I believe, whereas when you play it from the Kronos, you'll be whacking it with higher velocities, and the sounds will be "overdriven". Alternately, you can record a MIDI track and then scale all of the velocities down so that the highest is 96...

Last edited by StephenKay on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:44 am; edited 2 times in total
iixorbiusii

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: DX7 to MOD7 Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:

I think what I did was:

1. Bulk Dump the data from the DX7II into the SNoize SysEx Librarian on Mac (free utility), which allows you to save it as a .SYX file.
2. The tricky part was, I had to open the resulting dump in a hex editor, and edit out part of the data, resaving it before the OASYS would read it

PC users should be able to use Midiox to edit HEX data from .syx patches (www.midiox.com)

I own a site called The DX7 Resource Centre... Lots of DX7 patches can be found there.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Well, I remember I wrote the .syx part of Galaxy a long time ago, but I forget how it worked.

Thanks for the help!
danatkorg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: DX7 to MOD7 Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
EDIT: oh, and then, if you want, you will have to tweak some of the velocity response settings in each of the 6 operators, because the DX7 series had a max high velocity of 96 I believe, whereas when you play it from the Kronos, you'll be whacking it with higher velocities, and the sounds will be "overdriven". Alternately, you can record a MIDI track and then scale all of the velocities down so that the highest is 96...

Yes, the conversion is designed to preserve the MIDI velocity response of the original DX/TX sounds, so that a velocity value of (for instance) 80 will produce the same timbre on both the original instrument and the MOD-7.

When we worked on this conversion, we had to choose between preserving the sound as played via MIDI, or trying to duplicate the response from the local, velocity-challenged DX keyboard. We chose the former, since it is/was fairly common to control the DX from an external keyboard (and is the only way to play the TX modules, of course - personally, I only used the modules, so this is the sound I'm used to!).

This is an issue when controlling actual DX series instruments from an external controller as well; for instance, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_DX7:

"Additionally, the maximum MIDI velocity value that the DX7 will transmit is 100 (of the 127 maximum value defined by the standard). The DX7 will, however, respond to the full range of velocity values when sent from an outside MIDI source. This means that when using the DX7 as a MIDI controller to play external sound modules, the patches on these modules will have to be adjusted to be more sensitive to velocity. It also means that when playing the DX7's own sounds using an external MIDI controller or sequencer, the velocity values will have to be rescaled before input to the DX7, or the DX7 patches would have to be adjusted to be less sensitive to velocity."

A tip: if you feel that the response is too bright, you can use the Macro Edit "Brightness Vel Sens" parameter to reduce the velocity sensitivity to taste.

Hope this helps,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
danatkorg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
I see. Well, I remember I wrote the .syx part of Galaxy a long time ago, but I forget how it worked.

Thanks for the help!

Aron Nelson, perchance?
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Dan. I'm looking forward to this keyboard!

Aron
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note I have an archive of 200,000 SYX format DX/FM programs I posted free for download for OASYS before and I'll place back up on the web in a week or so (just revamping that particular web page as it was a bit sloppy). So that'll be essentially every DX/FM program ever programmed available for MOD-7. I accumulated them free so they'll be free to all. I'll post separately when the file is back up for download - give me another week or two.

Kevin.
Jon Lord

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Note I have an archive of 200,000 SYX format DX/FM programs I posted free for download for OASYS before and I'll place back up on the web in a week or so (just revamping that particular web page as it was a bit sloppy). So that'll be essentially every DX/FM program ever programmed available for MOD-7. I accumulated them free so they'll be free to all. I'll post separately when the file is back up for download - give me another week or two.

Kevin.
With these amount of patches i don't see where i will have time to play the actual machine Wink Do you perhaps have any page where you list your favorite sounds, there is noway a normal person will have time to go throught them all to look for the golden ones Very Happy

CfNorENa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
So that'll be essentially every DX/FM program ever programmed available for MOD-7.

You should make that your signature! Laughing
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:

Kevin.

That would be awesome, thank you!
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thank you for uploading those files soon. I will be looking forward to them.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Note I have an archive of 200,000 SYX format DX/FM programs I posted free for download for OASYS

If it takes you 5 seconds to load a sound into your Oasys or Kronos, to call it up and to play it, it would take you 35 days, 8 hours a day, to listen to all these sounds
mymusic42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: 4 Operator Patches in MOD7? Reply with quote

I understand that MOD7 only reads 6 operator DX sysex

FM8 will read 4 operator sys, but won't export sysex

I had a Yamaha V50 with lots of patches I created and would love to have in the Kronos. I have the sysex.

Is there any way to convert 4operator sysex into something the Kronos will read?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: