Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone seen the Set List NOTES page?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Anyone seen the Set List NOTES page? Reply with quote

I've pretty much decided I'm going to get the Kronos once it lands in the UK. I'm currently using an M3-88 and a Roland Fantom X7 for live work... I can see me replacing them both with a 73 key Kronos (nice to finally have the option of a 6 octave weighted keybed!) and an extra synth action MIDI controller keyboard. It seems Korg have taken up the baton of offering the kind of live performance features live performers really need whereas Roland seem to have dropped them. I really rely on the "Live mode" of my Fantom-X and am really pleased to see that I can now replace that feature with what seems like a better specified one on the Kronos....

but...

what does the "Notes" page with it's 512 characters of free-text look like? Can the text be formatted in any way? How do you get the text in there? Can it be imported from a PC? How do you access the individual Notes screens from the Set List screen?

It may seem like a small feature, but when you're a gigging musician playing 3 hour sets with a vocalist who regularly calls the songs at random, you either need a brain the size of a planet, or you need to be able to create and store "aide memoires" to remind you of that tricky keychange after the 3rd chorus, or the backing vocal lyric you never remember when you come to sing it for the 1st time in 6 months!
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen the Set List NOTES page? Reply with quote

DaveBoulden wrote:
what does the "Notes" page with it's 512 characters of free-text look like? Can the text be formatted in any way? How do you get the text in there? Can it be imported from a PC? How do you access the individual Notes screens from the Set List screen?

I've mentioned elsewhere that I'd love to be able to bring up a scanned PDF or JPEG, whatever, associated with each song, for chords, lyrics, whatever... but the 512 characters is better than nothing. It appears to be something that is displayed at the top of the Set List screen. In this image, it appears that someone selected the first entry in the slot list (top left, Slot 0); and then the name of the selection appears in the big bar on the top; and there is an area for associated text directly under that big bar.

EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it'll be a great area to remind you of important song info; key, BPM, MOD wheel assignment notes, etc... Maybe opening lyrics to assist the brain Smile

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear... I definitely seem to have misunderstood what it's for... though to be honest, a bit of tiny text as some sort of description for the associated combi is not particularly useful in a gig situation. That's a shame. a new tab with a bigger full screen version of the notes text would be more useful, something with larger text that can be read on a dark stage in a live situation. Perhaps we can persuade Korg to add this at a later stage.
Devnor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice feature. Little reminders never hurt.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveBoulden wrote:
Oh dear... I definitely seem to have misunderstood what it's for... though to be honest, a bit of tiny text as some sort of description for the associated combi is not particularly useful in a gig situation. That's a shame. a new tab with a bigger full screen version of the notes text would be more useful, something with larger text that can be read on a dark stage in a live situation. Perhaps we can persuade Korg to add this at a later stage.

It will be good to see it in person, I think. The font used for the comments is relatively large and bold; it's pretty easy to read, in my opinion. When it's released, check it out for yourself!

Best regards,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, have you seen the large "performance notes" screen on the Roland Fantom X's Live Play mode? I was hoping the Kronos was going to have something like that. I realise this is a small feature, and I'm already sold on everything else the Kronos does, but a full screen view of the notes for each slot in the Set List would be a very useful addition for a releatively small amount of development resource IMHO. Perhaps this could be considered as a feature to be added... it could be implemented as an extra tab in Set List mode so that there are "Play", "Edit" and "View" tabs where a new "View" tab shows the notes field of the currently selected slot in a larger font, or better still, as formatted text.
Jon Lord

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveBoulden wrote:
Dan, have you seen the large "performance notes" screen on the Roland Fantom X's Live Play mode? I was hoping the Kronos was going to have something like that. I realise this is a small feature, and I'm already sold on everything else the Kronos does, but a full screen view of the notes for each slot in the Set List would be a very useful addition for a releatively small amount of development resource IMHO. Perhaps this could be considered as a feature to be added... it could be implemented as an extra tab in Set List mode so that there are "Play", "Edit" and "View" tabs where a new "View" tab shows the notes field of the currently selected slot in a larger font, or better still, as formatted text.
Or perhaps a setting to instead of showing 16 patches per page to just show 4 and the top part being dedicated for the text(Most giggers use pedal to switch sound anyways so 4 should be enough), or perhaps even settigns to customize the livemode UI to your liking would be even better. But this on the other hand would cause more pages

danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveBoulden wrote:

I agree. A full-screen view with an even larger font size could be useful.

Best regards,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really would love this feature. I could use it for things I forget (like changed endings, or controllers I have to use (or not), but I could also misuse it for chords Smile

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
I agree. A full-screen view with an even larger font size could be useful.

Definitely. And I suppose that might be easier/quicker to implement than displaying scanned images (PDF or whatever), and I'd love to see it... but ultimately, the thing about scanned images over entered text -- even if the text is large and full-screen -- is that a lot of useful stuff is very awkward to enter as text. Like chord names over lyrics. Superscript and size differences to make complex chords easier to pick up at a glance. Bar and repeat indicators, or for that matter, full music notation. Or my favorite, big curving arrows drawn for where to go at various points. Wink
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I could get by on just large text as that is what I've been using up 'til now , but would really like to have the option to format the text, ideally as HTML (even a subset would be good), but at a minimum the ability to set formatting like bold, italic, underline, foint choice/size and tabs or tables.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: