Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rich F demo the Kronos at Novamusik
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjames4208

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niice!
a want to work for KORG!
NeKo LX5, Liquid Saffire 56, Motif XS8, Kronos61, A-70, Motif-Rack, FantomXR, MPC5000, R8mkii, Komplete5/6/7/8, Trilian, Total Workstation 2, EWQL Complete Composers Collection, Arturia Mini Moog V, CS-80V, ARP2600V, Jupiter-8V, Oberheim SEM-V, Analog Laboratory, Vienna Ensemble Pro, Yamaha Montage, Epic Orchestra, Flugelhorn, Sonar X2, FW-1884, MIDI Express 128, MPC Renaissance, MachFive3, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Korg Legacy Collection, Machfive 3, Jupiter-80, Moog Sub 37,
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rich F demo the Kronos at Novamusik Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
kandarv wrote:
New video, with a very detailed demo of the Kronos with Rich F.

This one really makes me wonder, Should I skip Nord Wave and go directly to the Kronos? Though choices and I can't justify both. I'm getting the Tempest too, so that's a lot money, to me at least, on music gear.

I think Nord Wave is a good addition to existing gear. It's not a standalone workhorse like Kronos. My bet is that you get more bang for the buck with Kronos actually. But I had a Nord Wave, and it's incredible. It can produce a huge variety of sounds. It's 3 operator FM capabilties are massive and simple to use, and you can use PCM samples in there like you can with Kronos.

Personally I sold all my gear to finance a Kronos. After that I will build my studio around Kronos with gear that can be a good addition. Like an Analog Modular synth, microphone and drum pads/Tempest. I'm actually building my own Studio Desk that will fit perfectly for a Kronos on a drawer, so I can push it under the desk, when I'm not doing music.

Sharing my plans my help you decide maby. Smile

you are not the only one selling off multiple boards, to make Kronos
the base to build from. I have sold 3 out of my 4 boards, so far.

True, many need to sit down with the Kronos, to sort it out. Everything I have seen & heard of the Kronos, reinforces that my sell off/transition is a good move.
robinkle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rich F demo the Kronos at Novamusik Reply with quote

kandarv wrote:
robinkle wrote:
kandarv wrote:

This one really makes me wonder, Should I skip Nord Wave and go directly to the Kronos? Though choices and I can't justify both. I'm getting the Tempest too, so that's a lot money, to me at least, on music gear.

I think Nord Wave is a good addition to existing gear. It's not a standalone workhorse like Kronos. My bet is that you get more bang for the buck with Kronos actually. But I had a Nord Wave, and it's incredible. It can produce a huge variety of sounds. It's 3 operator FM capabilties are massive and simple to use, and you can use PCM samples in there like you can with Kronos.

Personally I sold all my gear to finance a Kronos. After that I will build my studio around Kronos with gear that can be a good addition. Like an Analog Modular synth, microphone and drum pads/Tempest. I'm actually building my own Studio Desk that will fit perfectly for a Kronos on a drawer, so I can push it under the desk, when I'm not doing music.

Thanks for sharing your plan robinkle. I'm not sure about making Kronos the center of my music studio. If the onboard sequencer is similar to the one on the M50 definetly is not going to happen. The M50 sequencer and me, well to put it this way, we're not friends anymore, in fact, we're not speaking to each other now.

About the Nord Wave, I've been drooling about it since the first time I saw it, wanted the Nord Lead 3 before but with the Wave's sample capabilities and the Nord Sample Library available, I changed my mind. The Nord Wave is a very compaq and flexible unit. A single nice tool for a single task.

About the Tempest, well this could be my first drum machine, it's analog and Roger Linn was involved and is also a sequencer, etc. Has to be a great machine.

Rich F's demo makes me wonder, nevertheless, about the Kronos. It looks like a powerful machine, but it tries to cover a lot of ground.

I forgot to mention I will use Kronos with a DAW (Logic) computer software and won't be using the onboard sequencer. I've actually never used an onboard sequencer before to be honest. Smile.

For those who sell all the gear to get a Kronos: take your time to plan your future studio. Smile
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rich F demo the Kronos at Novamusik Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
you are not the only one selling off multiple boards, to make Kronos the base to build from. I have sold 3 out of my 4 boards, so far.

I'm dragging my feet on this myself. If Kronos came with the same 73 note keybed on the M3, I'd sell mine in a heartbeat. I have a Fantom X7 I'm considering, but I know I won't get what I want for it, and I really need a few of those sounds which would be a pain to make on another synth. I always need more sounds. Wink

I still might sell the X, but most likely I'll just save up and see if I can get the Sweetwater deal. But I have to say that after living with a Triton and then an M3 for years, and lusting after an OASYS since it was "announced" in 1995, I have no problem buying a KRONOS sight unseen.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rich F demo the Kronos at Novamusik Reply with quote

synthguy wrote:
GregC wrote:
you are not the only one selling off multiple boards, to make Kronos the base to build from. I have sold 3 out of my 4 boards, so far.

I'm dragging my feet on this myself. If Kronos came with the same 73 note keybed on the M3, I'd sell mine in a heartbeat. I have a Fantom X7 I'm considering, but I know I won't get what I want for it, and I really need a few of those sounds which would be a pain to make on another synth. I always need more sounds. Wink

I still might sell the X, but most likely I'll just save up and see if I can get the Sweetwater deal. But I have to say that after living with a Triton and then an M3 for years, and lusting after an OASYS since it was "announced" in 1995, I have no problem buying a KRONOS sight unseen.

I have had the Roland sound, for quite a while, from the JV880 to the 1080
to the Fantom XR, sold all these in the past. ( I still have the Rd700GX1).

After awhile, it seemed there wasn't a dramatic change in the Roland sound over the years, and its not as fresh sounding to my ears.

Oasys was out of reach for me, too.

I did sell my M3M and Extreme ( and the XS7), as I expect the Kronos to
far surpass these romplers.

My Kronos 88 is on order.
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rich, nice vid, when is the tutorial vid coming lol

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rich F demo the Kronos at Novamusik Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
I think Nord Wave is a good addition to existing gear. It's not a standalone workhorse like Kronos

I fully agree.

And a rackmount Nord Wave would be an even better addition to existing gear.

Unfortunately, Clavia don't plan to release a rack version of the Nord Wave like they did for all the previous Nord Leads, which is a shame

I don't have space left in my studio and I don't want to pay for an extra useless keyboard!
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nord will simply not get by with their latest policy of denying rack versions.
Either they reconsider or they will be in trouble. Simple as that.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:

wow, in trouble ? Like in trouble with the Rack Police Smile
robinkle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:

The reason I sold my Nord Wave, was the lack of arpeggiator and no total integration with a Daw. I only buy gear I can integrate with my daw from now on. Once it's integrated, I could use a rack version of Nord wave myself. It's a fantastic synth. Access Virus TI started a nice trend and many are following now. Novation Ultranova is a nice "TI" synth as well, too bad it's monotimbral.

After seeing Rich on the novamusik video I'm almost convinced that the Integration system is how I want it.
Kronos does it all. Very Happy
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
jimknopf wrote:

No, like in trouble for having a hard time selling enough Nord Wave, Elektro 3 and Stage 2 keyboards with one(!) velocity sampling, besides something like the Kronos, and at the same time ignoring those who would still buy a rack version of one of the mentioned devices. Wink
kandarv

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rich F demo the Kronos at Novamusik Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
kandarv wrote:
robinkle wrote:
kandarv wrote:

Thanks for sharing your plan robinkle. I'm not sure about making Kronos the center of my music studio. If the onboard sequencer is similar to the one on the M50 definetly is not going to happen. The M50 sequencer and me, well to put it this way, we're not friends anymore, in fact, we're not speaking to each other now.

About the Nord Wave, I've been drooling about it since the first time I saw it, wanted the Nord Lead 3 before but with the Wave's sample capabilities and the Nord Sample Library available, I changed my mind. The Nord Wave is a very compaq and flexible unit. A single nice tool for a single task.

About the Tempest, well this could be my first drum machine, it's analog and Roger Linn was involved and is also a sequencer, etc. Has to be a great machine.

Rich F's demo makes me wonder, nevertheless, about the Kronos. It looks like a powerful machine, but it tries to cover a lot of ground.

I forgot to mention I will use Kronos with a DAW (Logic) computer software and won't be using the onboard sequencer. I've actually never used an onboard sequencer before to be honest. Smile.

For those who sell all the gear to get a Kronos: take your time to plan your future studio. Smile

I use DAW at the end of my music creation process. I'm a software designer so I'm stuck in front of a computer monitor all day already.

Also I like to easily record patterns and store phrase ideas in the onboard seq of my XS for future work. I can just turn the seq on and practice different scenes switching between parts. The curious thing is that I switch the XS on, play the song on it and sometimes, when switching patches is not necessary, use my M50 to play. There are really good sounds on the M50 and is very powerful when making new ones too.

I'm not to convinced in selling my M50 and save up some more to get a Kronos, to me it's too early. The M50 is light and very portable and that's a nice thing when I want to play on friends parties (this is where the Wave comes in). So probably I'll wait till end of year or maybe next NAMM after hearing/watching more reviews when all the hype is over. I don't know if I can stand the urge and GAS till end of year but I'l do my best Confused

jimknopf wrote:
GregC wrote:
jimknopf wrote:

No, like in trouble for having a hard time selling enough Nord Wave, Elektro 3 and Stage 2 keyboards with one(!) velocity sampling, besides something like the Kronos, and at the same time ignoring those who would still buy a rack version of one of the mentioned devices. Wink

I hope they last for long. I don't know if velocity switches can be implemented via software my guess is it can, according to the owner's manual, you can program some modulation based on velocity.
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video and demonstration of the 'editing' power of the Kronos.... how the piano can be customized... BUT, is it possible to do it during a performance from Combi or Song? Do I have to stop the combi and song and get into program mode to close the lid a little?
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rich F demo the Kronos at Novamusik Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

True, many need to sit down with the Kronos, to sort it out. Everything I have seen & heard of the Kronos, reinforces that my sell off/transition is a good move.

Very likely a good move. If I were going the Kronos route myself though, I would consider approaching my bank manager and increasing my LOC if it would help avoid losing some cherished gear.

The worst mistake I made in this regard was selling off my Yamaha DX1 years ago to a friend for $600, so I could scrounge up the down payment for a Kurzweil PC88 I thought I needed for a production of South Pacific. I kick myself in the ass every time I thing about it. Poor Chris - who bought the DX1 from me - was killed in a car accident after we had finished the South Pacific gig and I didn't have the heart to approach his dad to ask about buying back the DX1 as they were not well off. I told him what it was worth, and he put it up for sale to help pay for Chris' funeral.

So maybe it was meant to be.

Anyway, I'd think long and hard about whether Kronos will be able to truly replace the instruments one may be considering parting ways with.

No doubt Kronos has mighty capabilities as we've all seen and heard (in compressed form) - and surely the real deal will be the workstation to beat... for the time being. As OASYS owners know, it will inevitably "be beat". It's just a matter of when... maybe a few years from now, or maybe in only a few months.

Now I try to hang on to my "old faithfuls" if at all possible. The Kronos siren is difficult to resist though, even for die hard mac dudes like me!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rich F demo the Kronos at Novamusik Reply with quote

rrricky rrrecordo wrote:
GregC wrote:

Very likely a good move. If I were going the Kronos route myself though, I would consider approaching my bank manager and increasing my LOC if it would help avoid losing some cherished gear.

The worst mistake I made in this regard was selling off my Yamaha DX1 years ago to a friend for $600, so I could scrounge up the down payment for a Kurzweil PC88 I thought I needed for a production of South Pacific. I kick myself in the ass every time I thing about it. Poor Chris - who bought the DX1 from me - was killed in a car accident after we had finished the South Pacific gig and I didn't have the heart to approach his dad to ask about buying back the DX1 as they were not well off. I told him what it was worth, and he put it up for sale to help pay for Chris' funeral.

So maybe it was meant to be.

Anyway, I'd think long and hard about whether Kronos will be able to truly replace the instruments one may be considering parting ways with.

No doubt Kronos has mighty capabilities as we've all seen and heard (in compressed form) - and surely the real deal will be the workstation to beat... for the time being. As OASYS owners know, it will inevitably "be beat". It's just a matter of when... maybe a few years from now, or maybe in only a few months.

Now I try to hang on to my "old faithfuls" if at all possible. The Kronos siren is difficult to resist though, even for die hard mac dudes like me!

I hear you about the DX7. In my case, I was rompler heavy( Extreme, M3M, XS7). IMO, none of those boards are going to be 'vintage collectibles' in 10 years. Sure , I really liked them but I would surprised if they became
highly desirable in 10 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: