Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rich F demo the Kronos at Novamusik
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kandarv

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Rich F demo the Kronos at Novamusik Reply with quote

New video, with a very detailed demo of the Kronos with Rich F.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKnSqARidMQ

This one really makes me wonder, Should I skip Nord Wave and go directly to the Kronos? Though choices and I can't justify both. I'm getting the Tempest too, so that's a lot money, to me at least, on music gear.
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rich F demo the Kronos at Novamusik Reply with quote

Thx for sharing this info, and many thanks to Rich for this excellent demo!
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones
robinkle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Says, all of the Kronos Synthesis engines run as a plug-in in your favorite DAW. Does it mean that you have one plug-in for each engine? Or a plugin incorporating all synthesis engines? could mean the same thing, or maby not. Someone who is good in english might get the right answer for me. Smile
Jon Lord

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice demo, don't know how you found it, has not yet been indexed in youtube (atleast when searching for kronos and sorting by date)

Last edited by Jon Lord on Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
Rich Says, all of the Kronos Synthesis engines run as a plug-in in your favorite DAW. Does it mean that you have one plug-in for each engine? Or a plugin incorporating all synthesis engines? could mean the same thing, or maby not. Someone who is good in english might get the right answer for me. Smile

Based on what Rich said in the video, it sounds like the Kronos will offer something similar to the M3's editor -- a single plug-in that streams both audio and sysex to your computer DAW. You can create and edit programs/combis through the editor interface, and save them to a file on your computer's hard drive. Load the file at a later time, and the Kronos automatically updates to reflect the file's contents.

It would be cool if the plug-in functionality went deeper than that, but I'd say the above is what we can reasonably expect. It's still pretty nice to be able to program the synth from entirely within a DAW project.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it's YouTube or my connection, but it kept stalling. I'll try later
robinkle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citizen Klaus wrote:
robinkle wrote:

Based on what Rich said in the video, it sounds like the Kronos will offer something similar to the M3's editor -- a single plug-in that streams both audio and sysex to your computer DAW. You can create and edit programs/combis through the editor interface, and save them to a file on your computer's hard drive. Load the file at a later time, and the Kronos automatically updates to reflect the file's contents.

It would be cool if the plug-in functionality went deeper than that, but I'd say the above is what we can reasonably expect. It's still pretty nice to be able to program the synth from entirely within a DAW project.

Rich says in the Video that when you save the project in your DAW, and come back to it, the kronos will be reset back to where you left off. That sounds more like the Access Virus TI integration to me.

edit
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
sounds more like the Access Virus TI integration to me.

My thoughts exactly.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
robinkle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rich F demo the Kronos at Novamusik Reply with quote

kandarv wrote:

This one really makes me wonder, Should I skip Nord Wave and go directly to the Kronos? Though choices and I can't justify both. I'm getting the Tempest too, so that's a lot money, to me at least, on music gear.

I think Nord Wave is a good addition to existing gear. It's not a standalone workhorse like Kronos. My bet is that you get more bang for the buck with Kronos actually. But I had a Nord Wave, and it's incredible. It can produce a huge variety of sounds. It's 3 operator FM capabilties are massive and simple to use, and you can use PCM samples in there like you can with Kronos.

Personally I sold all my gear to finance a Kronos. After that I will build my studio around Kronos with gear that can be a good addition. Like an Analog Modular synth, microphone and drum pads/Tempest. I'm actually building my own Studio Desk that will fit perfectly for a Kronos on a drawer, so I can push it under the desk, when I'm not doing music.

Sharing my plans my help you decide maby. Smile
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rich, I hope you left that Kronos behind so they can ship it to me!!! Smile
Lando

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really great demo, thanks for posting it!

Kronos sounds absolutely amazing, release it allready!!
KapnKrunch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: RTAS too? Reply with quote

Great video.

I noted with interest Rich's comments about the DAW plug-in editor (at 14:09), where he mentioned VST and Audio Units compatibility.

What Rich didn't mention was RTAS compatibility. Was this just an oversight, or will Pro Tools users be left in the cold?
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent video...!!!
Well done Richard. Impressive work as always.

Regards
Sharp.
kandarv

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rich F demo the Kronos at Novamusik Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:
kandarv wrote:

I think Nord Wave is a good addition to existing gear. It's not a standalone workhorse like Kronos. My bet is that you get more bang for the buck with Kronos actually. But I had a Nord Wave, and it's incredible. It can produce a huge variety of sounds. It's 3 operator FM capabilties are massive and simple to use, and you can use PCM samples in there like you can with Kronos.

Personally I sold all my gear to finance a Kronos. After that I will build my studio around Kronos with gear that can be a good addition. Like an Analog Modular synth, microphone and drum pads/Tempest. I'm actually building my own Studio Desk that will fit perfectly for a Kronos on a drawer, so I can push it under the desk, when I'm not doing music.

Sharing my plans my help you decide maby. Smile

Thanks for sharing your plan robinkle. I'm not sure about making Kronos the center of my music studio. If the onboard sequencer is similar to the one on the M50 definetly is not going to happen. The M50 sequencer and me, well to put it this way, we're not friends anymore, in fact, we're not speaking to each other now.

About the Nord Wave, I've been drooling about it since the first time I saw it, wanted the Nord Lead 3 before but with the Wave's sample capabilities and the Nord Sample Library available, I changed my mind. The Nord Wave is a very compaq and flexible unit. A single nice tool for a single task.

About the Tempest, well this could be my first drum machine, it's analog and Roger Linn was involved and is also a sequencer, etc. Has to be a great machine.

Rich F's demo makes me wonder, nevertheless, about the Kronos. It looks like a powerful machine, but it tries to cover a lot of ground.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the plans Kronos center nord second. I like the tempest but prefer the more tactile way of the Korg wave drum. Korg pay attention here, the WD needs midi and more knobs for control instead of the menu driven way to set parameters like the tempest has! I can't even imagine how much fun I could have if I could midi a couple wavedrums to a Kronos! I would never leave my music room!

And back on topic that is a great vid! Thanks for it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: