Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pumpkin King - Drifting Away - February 2011

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pumpkin King

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Pumpkin King - Drifting Away - February 2011 Reply with quote

This is another song I finished for my class the other day that I'd like to share. After this, I'm hoping to be able to finish two more songs in my Triton Extreme next March. Cool

We'll see.

Anyways, I was again supposed to make a soundtrack for a series of pictures. I used Garageband and SoundMiner. For the pictures, I used iphoto. I have a video uploaded on my facebook, but not anywhere else. I don't think I have the rights to be uploading the video with pictures I don't own.

It's called Drifting Away. The concept is a bit confusing, but I suggest putting on headphones and imagine being hypnotized by the ticking clock in the beginning of the song.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10326741
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do find this a bit confusing, though interesting. I'm not sure this piece knows yet what it wants to be. I think you have something to say here, but not sure that it's completely developed. Or maybe it just needs a bit more focus. These excersises are really good to do though, and not all need to be taken to the nth degree. I know I brainstorm for about a week doing loops on my m3 before a song begins to form.
album cover
Pumpkin King

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yeah, again I think it's only really confusing since I don't have the video uploaded.

Basically, I have a series of photos that i found on the internet. I used the ken burns effect on all of them, zooming in and out of the pictures. The idea was that you are the main character in the song, and you slowly drift away by being hypnotized by the ticking clock (picture). You can hear the breathing and everything else get quieter, as the piano kicks in and such. I used a lot of automation on the reverb here.

Without going into too much detail, I used a series of weird distorted landscapes, and also some relaxing, dreamlike landscapes, and used certain melodies and sounds to represent them. Then, you can hear footsteps, representing the fact that you are slowly walking towards the bright door, back into consciousness. The ticking and breathing kicks back in and the static sounds fade away, as it finishes on the last tick.

Thanks for the comments, George.
joet63

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe, again you've come wth another good tune. I do think it needs some more development, I liked the drums coming in like they did, maybe you could add some bass guitar to it.
The ticking clock, Pink Floydesq, maybe.
Reason 5, Record 1.5, KLC 1.2v, Korg MS2000, BR, Korg Electribe Series Mk11, Roland JV1080, Novation A Station, Novation Bass Station, Evolution 49 M/Controller, Yamaha PSR295,300,DSR 2000, E/Acoustic CPX900, Epiphone Sheraton, Suzuki Acoustic Guitar,
Washburn RB2500 Bass Guitar, Akai Pro ME30PII, Fostex Mixer, Korg DS-10, Korg PadKontrol.

www.myspace.com/joethompson63
Pumpkin King

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joe.

Yeah, as a song in general, I'd say it needs more development. Bass guitar could work. But the song worked well overall for the slideshow I put to it, so it will stay as is. I may use the piano melodies or chord progressions for one of my compositions in the future though. I've been playing around a lot with the simple structure of this song on the piano lately.
ronbo27
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey King.....I`m still awake....missing the visuals makes a difference.. bit of a heartbeat going on in there....still an effective piece....keep at it!
Cheers!
Ron Laughing
Pumpkin King

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ron. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: