Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wavedrum sound set up?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwdrums

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Wavedrum sound set up? Reply with quote

Hi, I just ordered the 2nd Gen WD. I'm not a sound guy but I do have a few pieces of gear I can use for sound. I have a 15" mackie powered sub and 2 non powered monitor wedges w/ cables. What additional gear should I add to have a good set up for live gigs?

I'm sure I'll need...a small mixer and amp but which ones and how big? Or should I scrap this and get a nice keyboard amp??

Thanks for any help!

JW
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you're off to a good start with what you've described above. A sub-woofer is always a plus. If those wedges you refer to have a 12" or 15" speaker in them, you may be good-to-go already!

As far as a small mixer with your current setup, it really won't matter too much if you're just running a Wavedrum through it. The only reason to get anything with more than four channels would be if you're running other devices through that same system (or more than four Wavedrums at once!).

If you need an amp for the unpowered wedges simply match the recommended power rating for those speakers. Any decent dealer should be able to assist you with this. (Remember, a little more power is never a bad thing.)

We covered some of this in the "Speaker suggestions" thread so I 'll just share what I posted there, in a slighted edited version. I hope this is useful. Smile

I've had the opportunity to hear the Wavedrum through many, many different sound systems in the various stores I have done training in.
From low drum sounds to explosive atmospheric sounds, there is a whole other dimension taking place in the low-end! Traveling across the country gave me the chance to hear the Wavedrum through several different systems that were designed specifically for electronic drums. In all honesty, the all sounded great--Yamaha, Roland, Simmons, etc. I found the Wavedrum sounded very convincing through all of them.

Some will offer a sub-woofer/satellite combo, whereas other will be one, standalone, self-contained unit. It really comes down to personal preference and your own specific requirements. Remember, the Wavedrum has a tremendous dynamic range! From high-frequency to low-end; from soft and subtle to devastatingly powerful!
This is what makes those sound systems that are designed with electronic kits in mind so effective. Anything that can properly handle, and accurately reproduce, everything from a kick drum to a hi-hat, should more than suffice for the Wavedrum.

There are some very affordable options out there, but don't compromise too much. A little research at your local dealer will be worth the time. You don't even have to test speakers with a Wavedrum specifically. If any decent electronic drumkit sounds good through whatever systems you try out, the Wavedrum will be just fine through that same system.

I've used the powered JBL eon series at a couple of trade shows and those always performed quite well (15" version). At NAMM 2011 I was running through a pair of powered speakers from HK Audio. They were also very impressive sounding and surprisingly light-weight when it came to move them. I believe these were 2-way cabinets with a 12" speaker in each. With both of these setups, the Wavedrum was always going into a small four or six channel mixer first (to accommodate the multiple instruments on display) then directly to the powered speakers.

There are lots of options that work well, so take your time, consider your own needs and budget, and...crank it up!
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took mine in to the mom and pop, they carry the QSC K series. The 10s and 12s sounded great with out the sub. The 12's naturally had more bottom and the wave drum sounded best with them set to deep and the other switch set to vocals. I didn't realize how wide a range the WD has! Anyway I think i'll go with the QSCK12's. Whatever you do if you don't have the money don't try one with the sub! For a lot of sounds it didn't matter but on some it really kicked in the magic WaveDrummer is talking about. I didn't know what he meant till I heard it. Now I am tossed up. I can't afford it all at once. So it will be one QSC K12 then a need to decide on wether I go for a sub for the extended bass or a second 12 for the stereo. I do like the slight stereo I hear in my headphones. Your lucky you have most of what you need already!
jwdrums

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks for the info...this is what I have in mind for a set up...will it work?

Wavedrum into...
Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer 6 channel mixer
Mackie M-1400I FR amp, 700 watts per channel into 2 ohms, 1400 watts bridged Mono
2X Community Sound MVP12M 12" Monitor Loudspeakers
Mackie SWA1501 Active High Output 15" Sub 500 -- 700 W peak

I don't know jack about setting up the MACKIE 402-VLZ3 mixer with a sub...does this one even have the input for a sub? I'm such a drummer;)

Thanks for any help...

Last edited by jwdrums on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume the sub has it's own crossover? How many line outs does you board have or do the speakers have a line through? Some subs take the signal first then pass it to the speaker. Probably best to download the sub and board and speaker manuals to see how to hook them up?
jwdrums

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
I assume the sub has it's own crossover? How many line outs does you board have or do the speakers have a line through? Some subs take the signal first then pass it to the speaker. Probably best to download the sub and board and speaker manuals to see how to hook them up?

There are 2 line outs, here's the manual.

http://www.mackie.com/products/402vlz3/pdf/402VLZ3_OM.pdf
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then you'll have to check your sub and main speakers there will be one that gets the signal first then sends it to the other.

Last edited by Bertotti on Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
jwdrums

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Thanks Bertotti! Reply with quote

Looking deeper into all the manuals I can run the signal out of the WD, into the mixer IN, OUT to the sub, IN the amp, OUT to the monitor wedges.

I'm probably gonna piss my neighbors off big time. Twisted Evil
jwdrums

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: I’m making some progress with this setup: Reply with quote

I'm gonna add a DI box between the Wavedrum and mixer to eliminate any chance of noise. I run one monitor wedge per output from the amp so it will be presenting an 8ohm load to each side and getting 300 watts output per wedge. The sub has a built in crossover, so the hi-pass is turned on so the monitors don't waste energy trying to reproduce the same lows. I'll get it all put together this weekend...I'll post a vid or pic!

Shocked
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which box? Did you already notice any noise? Running to just my near field's I noticed no noise.
jwdrums

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't added the box yet...I've just seen direct boxes used this way with live Vdrum setups. I might not even need one...we'll see when I hook it all up this weekend.
jwdrums

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Here it is Reply with quote

Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool how does it sound now? What kind of snare stand is that?
jwdrums

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: WOW Reply with quote

It sounds amazing with tons of control and sensitivity! I can literally make the floor rumble with a finger tip and I barely have it turned up! The snare stand is a PEARL DRUMS model from the 90s. I added the 3 clamps to the basket arms (also made by PEARL) a few years back to better fit my 10" and 12" snare drums - fits the WD nice and snug!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: