Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iMS-20 Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covertswitch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: iMS-20 Questions Reply with quote

Just discovered this app , gotta say i never would have thought the ipad was capable of this!!
Have searched this forum but due to my total lack of MIDI knowledge i really wasnt getting anywhere.

Ok, what i would like to achieve with this setup is trigger samples via midi from my Roland Octapad SPD-30 using usb midi.

Thus my questions are-

Does anyone know what type of midi signals come from the SPD-30?(the manual has a midi table with some values as 1-127 and 1 to 16 and 9nH etc etc).

Does the iMS-20 only respond to CC MIDI transmission? (say to control patterns/loops).

Is this a straight up USB MIDI(the SPD has it) to USB Camera kit hookup?

Can you import sounds into this app?(does the ipad have external mic input?).

Sorry for so many questions, but after seeing the iMS-20 on you tube i am intrigued to say the least.

Thanks in advance.
roxxx303

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: iMS-20 Questions Reply with quote

I don't know the Octapad but you can connect any hardware Keyboard with Standard-DIN-Sockets using an iPad-compatible Midi-Interface (for example LOGILINK USB to MIDI Adapter) and the camera connection kit to play notes and send CC's to the iMS20 (for the CC-mapping look in the iMS20 manual).

- trigger samples via midi
No! The iMS20 is a softsynth no sampler!

- Can you import sounds into this app? -
No!
Korg Gadget, iM1, iMS20, iKaossilator, iElectribe, Korg DS-10, Korg Volca Keys, Minimax ASB, Roland TB-303, TR-606, Novation Drumstation, x0xb0x alu, Yamaha CS2x, Ableton Live 9, Les Paul Cherry Sunburst.
Past Gear:
Electribe MX-1, Kaossilator Pro, AIRA TR-8, Novation Bass-Station, Roland JX8P, Roland Alpha-Juno 1, Roland MC-303, Yamaha RM1X.
Covertswitch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, helps my research.

I was considering this or the Kaoss Pro and KP3 combo.

I know the Kpro only does actual notes (receive) in CCMIDI but i recently learnt (via Sonicstate review) that it will recieve standard midi notes for turning the loops on and off.

This is all i need it to do so i may head down the Kpro track.
Covertswitch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before i abandon the ims-20 idea just for clarification,

-with this app you create sounds from the preset base sounds using the effects and note/key changes etc?

-you then arrange a song using these.

On the Kaossilator you would-

- arrange the on board sounds using some effects and key/note changes and save them as much shorter loops which you can send to the KP3 for further manipulation via effects and resampling?

Sorry for the newbie questions, just gotta narrow my choices down as i just cant afford to buy both options (yet).
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, if I had to choose between the iPad2 with iMS-20 or the Kaossilator Pro, I would definitely pick the iPad2 first, and I own them both (and the KP3, DS-10+, miniKP, EMX). The iPad2 with iMS-20 is much more versatile, and you can get a whole lot of other music apps for cheap on the iPad. The iMS-20 is like a fully programmable Kaossilator Pro, and it's not limited to 4 audio loops, since it has more control with midi loops and multiple patterns that you can pick on the fly. Not that I don't like the KoPro too, but you can't load apps on it.
Covertswitch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly value your opinion as you are obviously speaking from experience.

Problem is if i cant trigger samples via MIDI the iMS-20 seems kind of stand alone.

Also as per previous posts, you cant load your own sounds into the ipad for manipulation by iMS-20 which i would really like to do.

Am i correct in my assumption of how the iMS-20 operates (prev. post)?

Would buying a first gen. iPAD be a bad move?
I have checked the specs on the iPAD2 looks the goods but i would have to wait on that one.(raise funds)

My hunch is with the processing power of the iPAD2 we are on the way to big things in virtual/touch synths and even VST's.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you definitely can trigger samples via midi on the iPad2, just not with the iMS-20. The iMS-20 is a synth, not a sampler. There are plenty of samplers/sample players on the iPad. There's a lot of midi controllers that you can connect with the Apple camera connection kit and a battery powered USB hub. You can hookup a number of different USB midi controllers that have pads and assign each pad to a different sample.
Covertswitch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After much deliberation i just unloaded on an ipad, all these music apps are the only reason i went down this road, plus it has other uses.

I like the idea of creating music ideas in a mobile package.

The iMS-20 is on the list as is Nanostudio/iElectribe but what about these sampling apps you speak of, whats the top picks keeping in mind i need to trigger samples from my drums.

My drums have USB Midi out, is it just a case of buying the right lead?
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at Nanostudio. Besides being a nice synth, it has pads that can be loaded with samples. There seems to be plenty of other apps too, and I haven't really even begun to explore them all.
terryvu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Korg iMS-20 - Modifying sounds between pattern changes Reply with quote

Hi,

When I play a 'song', and it switches between patterns, the knobs on the synth changes back to their last position when it switches patterns. How do I keep these knobs from changing back when I'm switching patterns? I just want to keep the sound patches the same when changing sequences.

Thanks

Terry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: