Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW of PA3X
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MACG

Location: South West Scotland PA3X:SV1:Roland Atelier AT900c:Roland BK7M

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: REVIEW of PA3X Reply with quote

Well known U.K. organist and musician Michael Wooldridge has published a review of the PA3X in Organ and Keyboard Cavalcade magazine,April issue.He appears to be VERY impressed!Still no UK price.Korg also have a full page ad. in the magazine.

www.keyboard-cavalcade.co.uk

James
MACG

Location: South West Scotland PA3X:SV1:Roland Atelier AT900c:Roland BK7M

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: PA3X UK Premier Reply with quote

On Saturday 2nd April ,the PA3X will have it's UK premier at Keyboard Cavalcade's "Spring Spectacular" at Pakefield,Suffolk-details in magazine mentioned in my previous post.

James
Pepperpotty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell me you're joking. Korg make this amazing new (and probably amazingly expensive) arranger, and they decide to debut it at what can only be described as some sort of OAP festival. Now I've never been to this "festival" before. I'm just basing my opinion purely on their own website where they show pictures of silver haired couples being entertained by 80's styled keyboard players who are likely signing songs by Frank Sinatra and other such nostalgic acts whilst sipping their cocktails.

And don't get me started on Pakefield. I'm from Suffolk so I can comment on the type of people who visit and live in this area. Recent surveys have discovered that in Lowestoft and the surrounding areas OAPs out number the general public by 4 million to 1.

So my question is. Korg, what on earth are you doing? You have chosen to debut your keyboard at an event that can only be accessed by buying a ticket to stay at this festival for a whole week! I can't imagine many people will part with £300 of their hard earned cash just to catch a glimps of the PA3X.

Not to mention that I am now re-thinking if the PA3X is really the keyboard for me now that I know who your target audience are!

P.s. Sorry if I have offended anyone who goes to or organises this festival. I'm sure it's really great but just not my kind of thing.
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepperpotty wrote:
Please tell me you're joking. Korg make this amazing new (and probably amazingly expensive) arranger, and they decide to debut it at what can only be described as some sort of OAP festival. Now I've never been to this "festival" before. I'm just basing my opinion purely on their own website where they show pictures of silver haired couples being entertained by 80's styled keyboard players who are likely signing songs by Frank Sinatra and other such nostalgic acts whilst sipping their cocktails.

And don't get me started on Pakefield. I'm from Suffolk so I can comment on the type of people who visit and live in this area. Recent surveys have discovered that in Lowestoft and the surrounding areas OAPs out number the general public by 4 million to 1.

So my question is. Korg, what on earth are you doing? You have chosen to debut your keyboard at an event that can only be accessed by buying a ticket to stay at this festival for a whole week! I can't imagine many people will part with £300 of their hard earned cash just to catch a glimps of the PA3X.

Not to mention that I am now re-thinking if the PA3X is really the keyboard for me now that I know who your target audience are!

P.s. Sorry if I have offended anyone who goes to or organises this festival. I'm sure it's really great but just not my kind of thing.

Maybe Korg UK couldn't find any other dealer to "step up to the plate". Wink

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Pepperpotty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, that's what I was thinking. It's so frustrating that all we're hearing about is the Kronos. They're throwing all their money at promoting it instead of the PA3X. And what's more frustrating is that the PA3X is probably going to be more expensive than the Kronos. So surely we're just as deserving of a launch party and a free microstation!
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys, it seems Korg is really following the Yamaha model now.

First it's no upgrades to OS 2.01 on the PA2x (remember when the PA2 was released, at least Korg gave a token upgrade to the PA1x porting some of the new stuff back down), forcing users to buy a brand new hardware keyboard to get any upgrades or fixes = the same method Yamaha use when upgrading...it works as they sell millions each release.

Second, Yamaha usually make a big showing and have official launches at the Pakefield Festival. They sell millions of keyboards, so it obviously works.

Anyone else seeing a pattern here??

My tip is you might see a small "bugfix" OS update during the life of the PA3, but that will be about it. If Korg introduce more features, it will follow the same path. Release them ONLY in a new hardware package.

Oh well, such is the way of big business.

Dennis
Frans N

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a crystal ball Miden.
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly it, Dennis. Korg must look at Yamaha in the arranger department and think to themselves "what are we doing wrong". We know that Korg are doing the business in the synth area, but are well behind in some markets when it comes to arrangers. It's tough to beat Yamaha's business model in this regard - their sales confirm that.

The target market that Pepperpotty alludes to is, in the case of Yamaha arrangers, very strongly in the older demographic. That's where a lot of disposable dollars reside. And showcasing the Pa3X at a do like Pakefield is surely an indicator of where Korg, for their western market, is headed.

Most arranger players tend to be folks who, like myself, used to play in bands in their earlier years or are former organists, but that doesn't mean they HAVE to be playing Great American Songbook stuff to the blue rinse set. That's the beauty of arrangers, they can be what you want them to be - especially in the case of Korg.
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giner wrote:

Most arranger players tend to be folks who, like myself, used to play in bands in their earlier years or are former organists, but that doesn't mean they HAVE to be playing Great American Songbook stuff to the blue rinse set. That's the beauty of arrangers, they can be what you want them to be - especially in the case of Korg.

Amen to that brother, I hear you TOTALLY!!! In my case accordion player to keys player in bands (rhodes, roland et al) for years, and now finally OMB.

I agree with you also on Korg looking to take a chunk of that Yamaha market. As you say Pakefield could be strong evidence for this. They have never showcased at this festival before, AFAIK.

Dennis
derek bradburn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: "Pepperpotty" and the Pakefield festival. Reply with quote

Hello,
Just a correction to one of "Pepperpotty"s comment on the Pakefield Festival.
I'm an OAP and it is not my thing either however when I found out that the PA3X was being announced there with John Pacey of Korg, I decided I was going to go for the first time ever. I contacted the organiser of this festival, and no Pepperpotty- you don't have to buy a ticket for the whole week coting £300. They have an open day on the Sunday where the ticket costs £25 for the 10.a.m. start or £20 after 1.p.m.!.
When I was younger I was advised always to make sure that I had my facts right before I opened the orifice below my nose !!.
regards,
Derek B.
Pepperpotty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Derek,

Point taken. However I am only going by the facts as they are presented to me. They chose not to mention the day pass on their website which is a very poor show as far as I'm concerned. They also chose to advertise the event in such a way as to only attract the older generation. As I mentioned above, I'm not slating the actual event, simply the way it has been advertised.
derek bradburn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: pepperpotty. Reply with quote

Hello,
Thanks for the reply.
When I was enquiring about the festival, I rang them to find about the possibility of attending for the day only. It was then I was told about the "open day".
Even so it is still to my mind an expensive day out. I wsa going to go with my wife and make a day of it but when the tickets will cost me £40 - that is an awful lot of dosh just to see the PA3X as I'm not particularly interested in anything else thats going on.,
regards,
Derek B.
Pepperpotty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I feel the same. I would be going there purely to see the keyboard and would want to take a friend and £40 is a lot to pay just for that priveledge. Plus I don't drive so getting there would be an absolute nightmare.
My annoyance stems from the lack of interest that Korg seem to have in the PA3X. Have you seen the thread in the Kronos section about the Kronos launch parties? I'd be more than happy to pre order my PA3X and receive a free micro station! Although I suspect that the PA3X will be more than I'm willing to pay. I'd be happy to pay about £2500 for the 61 keys but I have a feeling it will be closer to £3000.
keysman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patience is a virtue Wink

Why all the eagerness, once the PAX3 is officially shipped to these shores you can bet your bottom dollar the majority of the stockists will have open events & promotions to whet your appetite.

It always amazes me that the latest model is a must have. The PA range is simply fantastic & i'm sure the majority of owners haven't even scratched the surface on what they can do & achieve on these beasts.

I certainly wouldn't buy a new PAX3 for at least a year as it will probably take this long for some of the bugs to be ironed out by using the punters to report OS problems etc.

If it is going to be £3000.00 that is a lot of dosh so it has got to be something exceptional rather than just trowing in some gimmick functions i.e sounding like the doobie brothers or vocal remover etc.

I guess you pays your money & takes your choice as Korg are still the tops when it comes to professional arranger keyboards for gigging Cool
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I certainly wouldn't buy a new PAX3 for at least a year as it will probably take this long for some of the bugs to be ironed out by using the punters to report OS problems etc.

+1 Very Happy

Quote:
If it is going to be £3000.00 that is a lot of dosh so it has got to be something exceptional rather than just trowing in some gimmick functions i.e sounding like the doobie brothers or vocal remover etc.

+1 Very Happy (Where are the demos Korg?)

Quote:
you can bet your bottom dollar the majority of the stockists will have open events & promotions to whet your appetite

-200 Sad

That's a bet I would definitely lose !! We are still waiting for open events and promotions for the PA80 here!!

Pete Twisted Evil
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa3X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: