Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

korg t3 backligt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tarek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: korg t3 backligt Reply with quote

hello guys iam going to change the el foil in my t3 screen and replace it with led emitters ..since they are better and live for almost 50000 hrs !! while el foil max for 10000 hrs..i just dont have and idea about the voltage coming up from the power supply to the el foil ..any body have an idea how much the volt is ..?and if its AC or DC?..thx

software: korg legacy collection digtal edition,cubase5,sonar7.

past gear:yamaha A3,gem WS1,korg pa50/80,i30,triton le,pa800,ketron vega
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EL takes 100-200V AC (@400Hz, roughly) depending on the type, LED takes between 2-5V DC (maybe up to 12V DC) depending on the colour and implementation of the circuitry. LED backlight display is thicker, you'll need to be careful when fastening. I can send you pictures and hints as to the PSU modification, I suggest you buy a display which operates its backlight at 5V DC as this is the easiest to obtain from the T3's power supply.

Also, you might want to keep an eye on this thread.
tarek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi thx for the usefull details Smile and sure ill be very greatfull to you if you can send me some pics about installing the led lights on the screen..thx

software: korg legacy collection digtal edition,cubase5,sonar7.

past gear:yamaha A3,gem WS1,korg pa50/80,i30,triton le,pa800,ketron vega
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarek wrote:
hi thx for the usefull details Smile and sure ill be very greatfull to you if you can send me some pics about installing the led lights on the screen..thx

After some consideration I decided to put the pictures and some text into a document and upload it to the files. I'll ask Sharp whether it would be possible to include 'T-series' in the title of the M1 download section - it should go there.

Will take a couple of days (hopefullly no longer), let me know if you need more help/information.
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sent the document to Sharp but no reply yet, in the meanwhile you can download it here

Last edited by synthjoe on Tue May 28, 2013 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
mondovermona

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: what type of LCD? Reply with quote

following your reply with interest I wonder what type of LCD display is to be used in a T3EX to replace the original? There are many types around and I have missed the hints in the LCD type so far here in the forum.

Thank you for your help.
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the link in post #2 above. Also, a number of other synths have the same display unit, so you might want to search the net or other forums for replacement recommendations.

Korg 01/w and Wavestation has the same display (off the top of my head I cannot recall other Korgs right now), Yamaha SY-77, SY-99 and TG-77 as well as quite a few Kurzweils (K2x00 series). The original display is Optrex DMF5005N, that's what you need to find a replacement for.
scaremi

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: File Tseries_LCD5VDC_PSUmod Reply with quote

Hello synthjoe,
ill be very greatfull to you if you can send me the file Tseries_LCD5VDC_PSUmod.pdf about installing the led display on the screen of my Jorg T3.
The link you posted is dead.
Thanks in advance for youe help.
Regards
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will update the link. Thanks for raising it!
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthjoe wrote:
I have sent the document to Sharp but no reply yet, in the meanwhile you can download it here

Link updated.
cdtmbu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to use a display which is a little bit thicker than the original one?

The original one is 5.7mm and the one I found which is available is 16mm thick.
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdtmbu wrote:
Is it possible to use a display which is a little bit thicker than the original one?

The original one is 5.7mm and the one I found which is available is 16mm thick.

I think 'little bit' is quite an understatement. That's a massive difference...
Not sure - would the original really be only 5.7 mm thick? I'm surprised there can be such a big difference between two modules.
jhulk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the originals are 9-10mm thick

the leds are about 4-7mm thicker

try and find the thinnest one you can

i get mine from rs but last time i cheacked they only did the white versions as all others were on back order

and you need to check the amp rating of the backlight as some some are 5v and they go down to 2.9volts so you need to use a current limiting resistor to reduce current and drop the voltage to the correct rating

you need to add washers so that the front of the led display does not hit the front display protective glass theres plenty of room under the hood unlike the sy77/99

so if its 16mm thick thats from the furthest part of the bottom components to the top off the lcd glass

the glass its self will only be about 9mm where as the original is 5-6mm
cdtmbu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last weekend I updated some parts of my T3. First I replaced every switch. They become very hard to press during the last years. Second I changed the display due to the dying EL-foil.

I choosed the YL#24064-27SW8FHS-R10 from www.lehnerdabitros.de. It was a little more expensive as the others but I know the company and they sell it to normal customer (which is not common in Germany).

It does have LED backlight but it does have a slightly larger outline and is nearly 17mm thick. Due to this the display has to be set on distance bolts. This is not a problem since the T3 has enough room in it and visibility in not impacted very much.

To get the backlight functioning I had to tune the power supply as described by synthjoe (thanks for the good document). But instead of adding a bridge I had to add a resistor of about 22Ohms due to the fact that the backlight uses only 3.3V as a supply.

I also had to a 1kOhm resistor as described in synthjoes document for getting a good contrast at the display.

I would like to thank all of you helping me solving my problems.
T3-MAZTER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fthumbs.picclick.com%2F00%2Fs%2FNTkwWDk4NA%3D%3D%2Fz%2FuDcAAOSwKfVXLlkr%2F%24%2FKorg-01-W-01R-W-T1-T2-T3-Wavestation-EX-_1.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fpicclick.co.uk%2FKorg-01-W-01R-W-T1-T2-T3-Wavestation-EX-152194549540.html&docid=ZBaDPfqiW8RHTM&tbnid=KeX4aOkMHeIkYM%3A&w=400&h=239&itg=1&client=ms-android-sonymobile&bih=512&biw=360&ved=0ahUKEwirk-mvxLDPAhVIKx4KHRJNAjUQMwgqKA4wDg&iact=mrc&uact=8
YouTube: Jose Depaz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: