Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wolf-Ray - Charlie's Passion - Non April Fool's submission

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Wolf-Ray - Charlie's Passion - Non April Fool's submission Reply with quote

I've been on the meme bandwagon as of late which lead to this song. It's a Charlie Sheen Dub-Electro piece.

There are some drops in volume that I never smoothed out. I've been getting impatient with songs lately and just finish them after a few days when I should really take my time to make something more listenable.

http://soundcloud.com/wolf-ray/charlies-anger-passion
Pumpkin King

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Charlie Sheen is quite a character. His interviews are ridiculous. You can literally pick out anything he says, and be like...what!? He's in his own world.

Anyways, great creativity. I'm not quite fond this style of music, so I'll never understand exactly how people make those crazy sounds/effects and whatnot with the bass. I definitely say my favorite part was at 1:30. And I think it'd be cool if you made it so one of his phrases would come in panned on the left side, then the other would come in on the right side...and just keep repeating that pattern. And then you could go from there. And as the music keeps building up and up...and more intense, you could then have the final phrase that comes in, panned to the center, act as a breakdown for the upcoming section. And maybe add like a cool distortion effect or something on the voice to make it sound serious.

What you did worked well, but I just like to throw in some ideas anyways. Good work. Smile
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it sounds good except the kick doesn't rule like I expect it to in this genre. Actually the whole drums/percussion sound buried. But what is upfront sounds good. I like these kinds of synthetic sounds and could imagine them in a house or rave setting. I do like how you've used the voice sample; it reminds me of how Ministry took George W samples etc and made metal music out of it.
album cover
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Pumkin King,
Bass wobbles are easy enough. The basic formula is a sustained overdriven saw sent through a modulated band-pass filter which is what I did with a steinberg vst for this one.

In fact this was my first song with Cubase 6 and likewise my first time programming with the synths that come with the software. I still have a lot to learn about the program.

I already trashed the project because I like to keep files meticulously organized (no stagnant information), but if I could go back and do it again I would do the vocals the way you suggested. The idea would have definitely added to the atmosphere.

@2loose,
I agree with your comment on the drum programming. I should have done a lot more careful craftwork with the equilization on each track. Kick needed a boost in mid as well as a general boost in percussion overall. I meant to add an effect on the fade-in percussion section during the dream sequence but put it off till i simply forgot.

----

I'm going to refer back to this thread for the next time some deranged actor or 13 year old sensation begs to be parodied.
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just sample yourself or a friend saying weird things, then that way you could license it for yourself and keep it all legal.
album cover
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

georgeinar wrote:
You could just sample yourself or a friend saying weird things, then that way you could license it for yourself and keep it all legal.

haha that sounds like it would be fun especially if alcohol were invited, but i think the song would lose its novelty since i made it just to poke fun at charlie sheen.
joet63

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charles, What a good piece of work you've made here, at first I was a bit unsure of the song, but the more I listened the more I liked it. I liked your synth sounds and the drums do need some input (boost) I did like them a lot they blend well with the track. The mid section was a nice transition from the main part and sounded really good. Thank you for making a fun but really good song!

joe
Reason 5, Record 1.5, KLC 1.2v, Korg MS2000, BR, Korg Electribe Series Mk11, Roland JV1080, Novation A Station, Novation Bass Station, Evolution 49 M/Controller, Yamaha PSR295,300,DSR 2000, E/Acoustic CPX900, Epiphone Sheraton, Suzuki Acoustic Guitar,
Washburn RB2500 Bass Guitar, Akai Pro ME30PII, Fostex Mixer, Korg DS-10, Korg PadKontrol.

www.myspace.com/joethompson63
Dee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Charles

This made me laugh! It's very creative indeed, and even though I don't understand all that stuff about a sustained overdriven saw going through modulated band-pass filters, I loved the bass wobbles..!...

You got Charlie Sheen spot on - well done,

Regards from
Dee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: