Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got one! First impressions, questions.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panason

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Got one! First impressions, questions. Reply with quote

So i got a silver WD.... it's better than I expected!
The dymanic range is crazy....

The only issues so far: the volume level from either output is too low to work without a pre-amp or DI box. As it is I can only enjoy playing this with high-sensitivity earbud headphones. I can only get enough level for my speakers if i put it through the computer first.

Even applying the 2x volume boost as described in an extra sheet that came with the manual doesn't seem to improve the situation . It just makes the louder sounds distort (which can be good!)

As for sounds, djembes and snare simulations aren't that hot, definitely better than sample-based drum pads but still lacking in dynamics and playability.

The congas are better, the tabla sounds great, but it seems impossible to apply much pitch bend to the bass sound, it is muted as soon as you press down on the drum head.

The best are the industrial and other metallic and banging sounds, especially with pitch bending.. The Udu sounds pretty good too...

I haven't checked ALL the presests yet.

Another issue is that a few times the WD switched to one of the favourite presets (assigned to buttons1-4) while I was playing , but I definitely did not hit those buttons. It has happened about 3 times since i started playing with it yesterday.
Anyone else ever had this? Do i need to return the WD?

For those reading this considering a WD, if you want an electronic percussion instrument you can perform with, do not think further, GET A WAVEDRUM!
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am going on a year now with my silver one. I love it. Only twice has it switched patches on me, I was being most aggressive! I do have mine set to x2 output and haven't really noticed much distortion but I don't play drums to start with so maybe I am missing it. I also turned my sensitivity up, I don't remember exactly but I think I have mine up to around 20 but I'll have to double check. I notice this way I have more variation in location tones on the head and get less bleed by to the rim. Maybe it's all in my head but wherever it is set, I'm thinking 20, it works for me. I did have it down to 3 for awhile and liked it but I noticed a lot of crossover from rim to head. I also tune the head per WaveDrummers recommendation and it works well for me. I do use some Sony studio headphones with it mostly but since I picked up the QSC K10's it has been run through them exclusively. I did not have much for volume with my KRK rp5's but the K10s really blast it out, Loud! I put them on the floor and get some better bass coupling.

Good Luck and have a blast with that thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: