Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why are you buying a Kronos when you did not buy an Oasys?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rderderian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Why are you buying a Kronos when you did not buy an Oasys? Reply with quote

All the posts I have read state that the Oasys was/is a great machine with great sounds and that the Kronos is very similar. Was it only the price that held you back from buying the Oasys?

So, why did you not buy the Oasys in the past when now you have decided to buy the Kronos?
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much money for relatively untested (imho) technology back then.

And too much money! I'd invested in studio toys rather than workstation technology back then.

Even now the workstation aspect isn't what I'm going to (potentially ) buy in to....
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Teh Mick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it costed more than 8000$CAN not counting the price of the expansions instruments: MS-20/Polysix, MOD-7 and EXs3.

Also for me, because I was a student when the OASYS was still available.
Roland JD-990
Novation Remote SL Compact
T7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cost, included instruments, over the top size and appearance of OASYS.

Last edited by T7 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OASYS cost too much for mere mortals to gig.

Set List mode
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
rderderian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if the Oasys was the same price as the Kronos is now with all the adds, you would have selected over the Motif or Roland?
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure. It is a BIG instrument - not very enticing as a gigging tool imho.

That said..... Laughing
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oasys costs too much.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For most people the answer is simple -- cost.

There is a huge difference between paying $8500 for an 88-key keyboard versus $3800, especially when the normal price for other manufacturer's products are around the $3500 level.
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Size is a big thing too. The OASYS comes at it's smallest in 76-keys which is still pretty big for me to carry around as often as I have to lug a keyboard around. a 61-key keyboard fits perfectly in the back seat of my car, with a 76-key version, i'd def have space issues. tOne time i was able to get a Triton LE-88 into my car but i had to lay down the back seats and use trunk space. the width of the OASYS is much greater than the M3's, that's another problem. Also, some of the new M3 features made me cry a little less at night that I couldn't afford an OASYS... like the PRV mode, and I honestly like the M3's pianos better than the OASYS's.

Don't get me wrong... if someone came up to me and told me they'd trade my their OASYS for my M3, i'd totally take them up on it... i'd find a way to deal.
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the OASYS was first released, I wasn't yet into keyboards. I still fancied myself a guitarist, and GASsed for custom hollowbody with hexaphonic pickups. Never got it, but I started getting interested in the whole guitar-to-MIDI thing, began to check out synths, and eventually found out that I felt more comfortable with them than I did with the guitar.

By the time I was ready to buy my first serious keyboard, the OASYS 76 was already pretty much unobtainium on the new market, and $8000 for a first board (with 88 graded hammer-action keys, at that) seemed a bit too tony -- not that I could afford it, in any event.

I wasn't ready for an OASYS during its production run. Now I'm ready, I've budgeted for a new board later this year, and the Kronos announcement came just in time to divert my attention away from Nord's Electro 3. And the Kronos-61 is not that much more expensive than an Electro 3, even though it brings much more functionality to the table.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Why are you buying a Kronos when you did not buy an Oasy Reply with quote

rderderian wrote:
All the posts I have read state that the Oasys was/is a great machine with great sounds and that the Kronos is very similar. Was it only the price that held you back from buying the Oasys?

So, why did you not buy the Oasys in the past when now you have decided to buy the Kronos?

I thought it was obvious.

ozy and rrrrickyrrrricardo gave me that advice
Smile
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Why are you buying a Kronos when you did not buy an Oasy Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

I thought it was obvious.

ozy and rrrrickyrrrricardo gave me that advice
Smile

RICKY: Hey Lucy! Tonight we conga, honey! Ethel is bringing up the OASYS, apparently Fred is still on it, and she can't get him off (yas honey, that's what she said har har har)

CUT TO THE RECARDO'S FRONT DOOR: Cue frightening thunderous splintering sound as the Mertz OASYS crashes through the door, followed by Fred's head.

FRED: What are ya, crazy, Ethel? You coulda left me KARMAtose!

ETHEL: I could have left you years ago, Fred, way back when you were a naive young moogerfooger. But nooooooooo. Tonight I sing "midnight at the OASYS" and next thing I know I'm carrying you both up the stairs!

LITTLE RICKY: Aw mom, why can't Uncle GregC be here? Sure, he sold all his stuff, but he still makes a lot of noise, and he's funny!
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[double post]

Last edited by CfNorENa on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea $$$ Idea
Idea $$$ Idea
Idea $$$ Idea
Idea $$$ Idea
Idea $$$ Idea
Idea $$$ Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: