Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A fresh track made on MS1
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cos

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korglee, sampling is the only part i usually use a PC for. I use sources such as songs (loops or auto next to sample drums), hydrogen for drum samples, youtube videos and some random sample libs found on the Internet for the rest.

After sampling all is done using Microsampler's internal sequencer.

I'm a software developer and Microsampler gives me time off computer. Of course it would be better to use some PC sequencer but not using one is a decision I've made. Also I know that before 90's software sequencers were not commonly available and a lot of good tracks have been made with much simpler tools than MS.

I have to admit that I've bought an Amiga 600 and experimented with it as a sequencer. It's not a PC so i'm not breaking my own rule Smile
So far I've been unsuccessful, but the Amiga's midi interface might be broken.
Korglee

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. It's very helpful to know how everybody uses their microsampler. The first thing I noticed was how quick it was to use compared to hardware samplers I used in the 90's.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korglee wrote:
Thanks. It's very helpful to know how everybody uses their microsampler. The first thing I noticed was how quick it was to use compared to hardware samplers I used in the 90's.

Agreed. I've achieved more successful sampling with my microSampler than any previous sampling platforms (M3, etc...)

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a PC sequencer with the microSAMPLER is quite easy and could really speed your work flow with it comes to working out patterns. What I do is load all my samples in first, open up Ableton and just use a blank MIDI track to draw in all the notes for triggering the samplers. After you have a song ready to go, just save the MIDI file and load it into the microSAMPLER with the software editor. It plays it back flawlessly.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-Member wrote:
Using a PC sequencer with the microSAMPLER is quite easy and could really speed your work flow with it comes to working out patterns. What I do is load all my samples in first, open up Ableton and just use a blank MIDI track to draw in all the notes for triggering the samplers. After you have a song ready to go, just save the MIDI file and load it into the microSAMPLER with the software editor. It plays it back flawlessly.

Thanks for the tip. I can definitely see many bonuses to doing it that way.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
Re-Member wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I can definitely see many bonuses to doing it that way.

No prob. The MIDI file import feature is awesome to experiment with. I downloaded some MIDI files containing Bach, loaded them into a pattern with the editor, then burped into the mic. The end result was pretty damn funny.
Darkside

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again! It's good to be back, with some bass of course. Here comes the promised stuff. Main body of the track is made on MS1 and synch lead is played on MK over the top while recording. As you bang this one, get ready for some electro for next.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8311580/Hellfire.mp3
cos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a new track from me:

http://soundcloud.com/vranki/hailii-happamii

Making this one took a lot of time. The original track is from 1969 and seems to have changing tempo so i had to adjust pitch of each sample. This is also first time MicroSamper ran out of memory so all things i wanted to do didn't fit in. The song uses 13 patterns.

For making the beats match, i used this technique:
- Use TAP TEMPO to get average BPM for the original track.
- Sample some loops and/or other parts.
- Make a pattern long enough to loop the sample at least 2 times. Add a quantized bass drum and the sample.
- Play the pattern and use START POINT, END POINT and PITCH to match the sample to bass drum and pattern length. Much like beat mixing on vinyl.
- When the sample sounds good and loops properly it's ready to be used. Hopefully the pitch change is small enough not to be noticed.

I also tried using BPM SYNC function but it didn't work too well.

Let me know if you know a better technique for this.
mojofunk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow gentlemen - amazing tracks!
Darkside

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again! Time has passed and now it's time for the promised stuff. It will be my last track for this topic. No, it's not that I'm going to stop making music, I just think it's a bit pointless to give it all away just like that. All in all I have prooven my point, that Microsampler is not a toy, but as serious composing tool as any other instrument.

So here it goes: an oldschool electro breaker again: 808 drums from MM6, melodic patterns and sfx from Micron, orch hits, electric guitar chord, radio-like noise and hoover from friends Fantom G6, other stuff from Korgs samplebanks and pc. Vocoder comes from Microkorg again. Recording, mixing and mastering/optimizing is done using Adobe Audition 1.5, Audacity and various free vst effects.

Keep on enjoying and loving all the technology that they give us!
Happy breakdancing!!!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8311580/RockIt.mp3
StudioF

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome tracks. Great job
Darkside

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Status of my tracks Reply with quote

Hi all. Now you can check me out on soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/dRxId so I would like the mighty moderators to delete this topic or at least the links to my tracks as they will soon be removed from dropbox. There is also one new track on my soundcloud page.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: