Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A short report from Musikmesse
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GiantSonicRobot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: A short report from Musikmesse Reply with quote

I visited Musikmesse yesterday, and would like to share some impressions.

First of all, I finally got a chance to actually play a Kronos! They had three units (two 61 and one 73) placed in front of the entrances to their demo booth. What was a bit weird was that all of them were powered up, but none of them had headphones attached. (My guess is that this was probably just yesterday, because on saturdays Musikmesse is usually so f***ing crowded.) Lucky me, I brought my own pair of headphones, so nothing could stop me. Wink
Overall, it sounds fantastic. Especially EP-1 is simply stunning. I have to say I like Nord, but this is better. It is just as authentic (if not more) but in comparison it offers a much wider palette of characters. And playing this thing feels so natural -- quite different from sampled pianos. In my current rig, I am using the Scarbee Rhodes and I was a bit concerned if Kronos could replace that. As of yesterday, these concerns are just gone.

Regarding the actual hardware, my opinion is a bit divided.
Pros: It looks better in person than in all the videos or photos on the web. The casing seems very sturdy and well built. (Mainly metal construction and even the plastic cheeks don‘t bother me.) Also, I like both key-beds. Having never played the RH3 before, I was a bit skeptic at first (judging from various opinions on this forum), but I have to say it has a nice grip to it, just the right weight and is quite responsive. (I like it much better than the PC3K8 e.g.) Of course this is a highly subjective matter.
Cons: The display, even though being clear and bright, requires good eyes. This has been reported in other threads before and I agree that some of the text displayed is ridiculously small (almost like reading the fine print at the end of some contract).
Regarding the controls like faders and knobs, I am a little disappointed. They all bend and wiggle a bit. Particularly the data entry wheel has a cheap and flimsy feel to it. Don‘t get me wrong -- I have seen worse and it certainly isn‘t a deal-breaker, but considering the estimated price tag, it is a bit of a letdown. If you know e.g. how solid a VirusTI feels, that is simply in another league.

Besides checking out Kronos myself, I also got to see some demo sessions. They did a really good job on these! There was a show by Tom Coster playing exclusively on a Kronos plus a bassist and a drummer. Great musicianship by all three of them! Tom didn‘t exactly explore new sonic territory, but it was good to see and hear Kronos in an actual live band context. Luckily I got a chance to tape this. Very Happy

Then I also attended the demo session given by Andreas Gundlach who did an amazing job! He is such a fantastic player and I thought his demo was by far the most musical yet. (I liked it way better than the all demoes we know from Youtube.) For once, he showed the CX-3 in a more jazzy/funky context as opposed to those prog-rock-ish demoes from the NAMM videos. Very much appreciated. By the way, I also taped this session. Very Happy

One thing has to be said about the overall sonic qualities of Kronos: None of the videos on the web even come close to doing it justice. Being in the same room, hearing it directly through the PA without any compression in-between is quite an experience.

Last edited by GiantSonicRobot on Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-
Thanks Robo for the review.
Actually, even just looking at the controls of the Kronos on the net they look flimsy, especailly that rotator wheel, just looks cheap.

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the report GiantSonicRobot. I have a 61 on pre-order and you have made me even more excited to get it. Smile
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So tell me more about the organ sounds, PLEASE! Laughing
GiantSonicRobot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
So tell me more about the organ sounds, PLEASE! Laughing

CX-3 is difficult to describe, because it seems to be very deeply programmable. While other clonewheels like e.g. the C2 have one clearly defined personality, the CX-3 has many faces. To be honest, I didn't like the organ demos from NAMM too much because they conveyed a more midrangy and compressed character, obviously to show off the "screaming" qualities of the organ.
But "screaming" and "ballsy" is not always what you want. My impression from Musikmesse is, that the CX-3 can equally well be "juicy" and "woody". Seems like it depends much on the programming which goes far beyond pulling drawbars).

One thing that surprised me in a positive way is the quality of the Leslie sim. It may be not the best I've ever heard (currently the Ventilator is king in this respect), but it is definitely very usable.
zahush76

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: A short report from Musikmesse Reply with quote

GiantSonicRobot wrote:
In my current rig, I am using the Scarbee Rhodes and I was a bit concerned if Kronos could replace that. As of yesterday, these concerns are just gone.

Can you say the same about the Kronos's clavs (wether coming from the str-1 or the vintage keys expansion)?
How are they in comparison with scarbee?
Rocness

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: A short report from Musikmesse Reply with quote

GiantSonicRobot wrote:
I visited Musikmesse yesterday, and would like to share some impressions.

First of all, I finally got a chance to actually play a Kronos! They had three units (two 61 and one 73) placed in front of the entrances to their demo booth. What was a bit weird was that all of them were powered up, but none of them had headphones attached. (My guess is that this was probably just yesterday, because on saturdays Musikmesse is usually so f***ing crowded.) Lucky me, I brought my own pair of headphones, so nothing could stop me. Wink
Overall, it sounds fantastic. Especially EP-1 is simply stunning. I have to say I like Nord, but this is better. It is just as authentic (if not more) but in comparison it offers a much wider palette of characters. And playing this thing feels so natural -- quite different from sampled pianos. In my current rig, I am using the Scarbee Rhodes and I was a bit concerned if Kronos could replace that. As of yesterday, these concerns are just gone.

Regarding the actual hardware, my opinion is a bit divided.
Pros: It looks better in person than in all the videos or photos on the web. The casing seems very sturdy and well built. (Mainly metal construction and even the plastic cheeks don‘t bother me.) Also, I like both key-beds. Having never played the RH3 before, I was a bit skeptic at first (judging from various opinions on this forum), but I have to say it has a nice grip to it, just the right weight and is quite responsive. (I like it much better than the PC3K8 e.g.) Of course this is a highly subjective matter.
Cons: The display, even though being clear and bright, requires good eyes. This has been reported in other threads before and I agree that some of the text displayed is ridiculously small (almost like reading the fine print at the end of some contract).
Regarding the controls like faders and knobs, I am a little disappointed. They all bend and wiggle a bit. Particularly the data entry wheel has a cheap and flimsy feel to it. Don‘t get me wrong -- I have seen worse and it certainly isn‘t a deal-breaker, but considering the estimated price tag, it is a bit of a letdown. If you know e.g. how solid a VirusTI feels, that is simply in another league.

Besides checking out Kronos myself, I also got to see some demo sessions. They did a really good job on these! There was a show by Tom Coster playing exclusively on a Kronos plus a bassist and a drummer. Great musicianship by all three of them! Tom didn‘t exactly explore new sonic territory, but it was good to see and hear Kronos in an actual live band context. Luckily I got a chance to tape this. Very Happy

Then I also attended the demo session given by Andreas Gundlach who did an amazing job! He is such a fantastic player and I thought his demo was by far the most musical yet. (I liked it way better than the all demoes we know from Youtube.) For once, he showed the CX-3 in a more jazzy/funky context as opposed to those prog-rock-ish demoes from the NAMM videos. Very much appreciated. By the way, I also taped this session. Very Happy

One thing has to be said about the overall sonic qualities of Kronos: None of the videos on the web even come close to doing it justice. Being in the same room, hearing it directly through the PA without any compression in-between is quite an experience.

Dude ,your giving us a musikmesse report and didn't mention Roland Jupiter-80 one time , are you sure you went or are you a spy because musikmesse was basically the Roland show ? Laughing
GiantSonicRobot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: A short report from Musikmesse Reply with quote

Rocness wrote:
Dude ,your giving us a musikmesse report and didn't mention Roland Jupiter-80 one time , are you sure you went or are you a spy because musikmesse was basically the Roland show ? Laughing

Laughing Well, except for what ever they had inside their demo booth, there was exactly one JP80 on the Roland stand. (sitting on a pedestal and switched off of course)
Right next to it they had four or five V-Drum kits, which oddly enough seemed to attract much more attention. Rolling Eyes

Oh and by the way: Even the Roland guys couldn't resist paying Kronos a visit:

Recognize him? Wink
Teh Mick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what's his opinion on the Kronos
Roland JD-990
Novation Remote SL Compact
Rocness

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A short report from Musikmesse Reply with quote

GiantSonicRobot wrote:
Rocness wrote:

Laughing Well, except for what ever they had inside their demo booth, there was exactly one JP80 on the Roland stand. (sitting on a pedestal and switched off of course)
Right next to it they had four or five V-Drum kits, which oddly enough seemed to attract much more attention. Rolling Eyes

Recognize him? Wink

Yea, I recognize him from all of the Jupiter-80 videos on you tube. What I don't get is how you missed all of the Jupiter-80 stuff but manage to get a pic of the main guy who shows off the Jupiter-80 looking at a kronos. I'm sorry but you sound like a korg rep . Laughing but nice pic. I just don't get how you know nothing about Jupiter-80 when on gearsluts there are thousands talking about it right now but i'm sure you had a great time.
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: A short report from Musikmesse Reply with quote

GiantSonicRobot wrote:
Rocness wrote:

Recognize him? Wink

Yep... that looks like Scott Tibbs.

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
GiantSonicRobot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: A short report from Musikmesse Reply with quote

Rocness wrote:
What I don't get is how you missed all of the Jupiter-80 stuff but manage to get a pic of the main guy who shows off the Jupiter-80 looking at a kronos. I'm sorry but you sound like a korg rep . Laughing but nice pic. I just don't get how you know nothing about Jupiter-80 when on gearsluts there are thousands talking about it right now but i'm sure you had a great time.

I am sorry, but I fail to see the point in that Kronos vs. Jupiter discussion. To me they are very different instruments which cater for very different needs. As a musician, I am just not interested in emulating violins and guitars. If want a guitar, then I work with a guitarist and if I need a Saxophone, I work with a Sax player. So while Roland's behaviour modelling technology is impressive, it is just not my cup of tea.

And one other thing: Musikmesse is vast, so you need to focus on what is really important for you, otherwise you get lost. So I spent my time on what was most interresting for me: The Kronos, the Nord Stage2, the Solaris, the PC3K8 ... oh and of course that Schmidt Polysynth (which is completely mental, yet at the same time a work of art).
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RoboCop Smile

Did you happen to take any picts of the Schmidt synth...there is a nice video of it with the inventer demonstrating it.

Sorry, yeah, i hijack the thread Sad

Regards
Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GiantSonicRobot thanks for the organ info! Bertotti got my interest peaked a bit again. I don't get the Kronos vs Jupiter thing. For me I am more tempted to make a decision between the New Stage 2 88 and the Kronos. Completely different animals, I know but a needs and wants thing I tend to go with what has what I want and need without to much extra and the Kronos is packed with extras, incredible extras. I'm glad I have a year to decide.

Last edited by Bertotti on Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Rocness

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: A short report from Musikmesse Reply with quote

GiantSonicRobot wrote:
oh and of course that Schmidt Polysynth (which is completely mental, yet at the same time a work of art).

WOW ,So will the Schmidt Polysynth ever come out ?
Did you hear what kind of price it might be ?
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: