Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A short report from Musikmesse
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocness -

Fail to see how a "short" (obviously non-comprehensive) post to Kronos page of Korg forum can be chastised for not mentioning Roland.

Roland forums are burning with excitement over Roland gear? Duh.

That's the right attitude for them and the right forum for it.

---------

GiantSonicRobot, thanks for the impressions.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I heard about the Schmidt Synth he would state a price on it..but the number 20K is what some think it will be. Gawd that demo is incredible.. now thats what I call a synth!!
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few more comments:
Andreas Gundlach presented the Kronos and his show was great. He played some unheared sounds of the EP-1, AL-1 and STR-1 modules, and I can tell you: the sound of this Kronos beast is incredible.
Besides the product demo, Tom Coster played the Kronos in a trio together with Stefan Rademacher (Bass) and Daniel Schild (Drums). Their performance and joy to play music was outstanding. Best performace I have ever seen on Musikmesse. BTW Tom dedicated one of his songs to Tsutomu Kato. It was a 3 generation trio (the artists are around 70, 45 and 30 years old), and they performed like they were playing together for decades.
Superb show, Korg selected fantastic artists this year! I'm very happy to not have missed this event.

Side note: I was on the Jupiter 80 show, too. The Roland show was rather disappointing and boring. Too much of pure advertising, and IMO the JP-80's color shines on the surface only, sound-wise it is not convincing.

The lesson is clear: I must have a Kronos! Very Happy
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones

Last edited by orpheus2006 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
GiantSonicRobot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orpheus2006 wrote:
Andreas Gundlach presented the Kronos and his show was great. He played some unheared sounds of the EP-1, AL-1 and STR-1 modules, and I can tell you: the sound of this Kronos beast is incredible.
Besides the product demo, Tom Coster played the Kronos in a trio together with Stefan Rademacher (Bass) and Daniel Schild (Drums). Their performance and joy to play music was outstanding. Best performace I have ever seen on Musikmesse. BTW Tom dedicated one of his songs to Tsutomu Kato. It was a 3 generation trio (the artists are around 70, 45 and 30 years old), and they performed like they were playing together for decades.
Superb show, Korg selected fantastic artists this year! I'm very happy to not have missed this event..

So you were there on Saturday too? We might have sat in the audience right next to each other without even knowing! Wink

EDIT: A word about Daniel Schild: great talent! It was obvious that even Tom himself was genuinely impressed.

Last edited by GiantSonicRobot on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GiantSonicRobot wrote:
So you were there on Saturday too? We might have sat in the audience right next to each other without even knowing! Wink
Very likely, at least we were in the same room. I visited both shows of Andreas, 12:30h and 17:15h, and watched the trio at 15:30h.

GiantSonicRobot wrote:
EDIT: A word about Daniel Schild: great talent! It was obvious that even Tom himself was genuinely impressed.
Applause Absolutely! There aren't many drummers with such a great feeling, not in Germany and not in the world. As said, the best performance I have seen at Musikmesse.
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones

Last edited by orpheus2006 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rocness

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:
Rocness -

Fail to see how a "short" (obviously non-comprehensive) post to Kronos page of Korg forum can be chastised for not mentioning Roland.

Roland forums are burning with excitement over Roland gear? Duh.

That's the right attitude for them and the right forum for it.

---------

GiantSonicRobot, thanks for the impressions.

BB

fair enough
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GiantSonicRobot wrote:
Oh and by the way: Even the Roland guys couldn't resist paying Kronos a visit:
Teh Mick wrote:
I wonder what's his opinion on the Kronos
I guess he was very disappointed about not being allowed to listen to Andreas Gundlach's demo and/or the Tom Coster Trio. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Rocness

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orpheus2006 wrote:
GiantSonicRobot wrote:
Oh and by the way: Even the Roland guys couldn't resist paying Kronos a visit:
Teh Mick wrote:
I wonder what's his opinion on the Kronos
I guess he was very disappointed about not being allowed to listen to Andreas Gundlach's demo and/or the Tom Coster Trio. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Or maybe he said to himself "my God , it's full of stars " .
Extra credit to those who know what movie that line is from . Laughing
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will any somewhat extensive youtubes from the shows be available?

I only found very few small snippets like this so far:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLkNR9umYcw

p.s. full of stars: 2001 space odyssey (book version) of course
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocness wrote:

Or maybe he said to himself "my God , it's full of stars ".
Extra credit to those who know what movie that line is from . Laughing
It would have been a space odyssey for him, indeed. But he would have noticed that his newest Roland gear is actually from 2001. Wink

jimknopf wrote:

I only found very few small snippets like this so far:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLkNR9umYcw
Thank's for sharing this link.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: A short report from Musikmesse Reply with quote

GiantSonicRobot wrote:
There was a show by Tom Coster playing exclusively on a Kronos plus a bassist and a drummer. ... Luckily I got a chance to tape this. Very Happy
Then I also attended the demo session given by Andreas Gundlach... ... By the way, I also taped this session. Very Happy

Thank you for the report. Any chance for us to hear these great performances?
GiantSonicRobot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: A short report from Musikmesse Reply with quote

Akos Janca wrote:
Thank you for the report. Any chance for us to hear these great performances?

OK, I just bounced two mp3 files (256 kBit/s). They are uploading right now.
I won't post a public link because I fear that this might generate too much traffic for my puny server to handle.
So anybody who is genuinely interrested, just drop me a PM and I will gladly send you the URL.

One note about the recordings: Don't expect high fidelity. I used a small hand-held recorder with only the built-in mics. So what you get is the sound as it was in the room.
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: A short report from Musikmesse Reply with quote

GiantSonicRobot wrote:
...I spent my time on what was most interresting for me: The Kronos, the Nord Stage2, the Solaris - *record screech*

Uhm... not to get too hyjackie or anything, but what did you think of the Solaris? I'm seriously interested in this. Very Happy
GiantSonicRobot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A short report from Musikmesse Reply with quote

synthguy wrote:
Uhm... not to get too hyjackie or anything, but what did you think of the Solaris? I'm seriously interested in this. Very Happy

Ah, the Solaris. It is very much a question of want vs. need, isn't it!
There were three Solaris (no prototypes but actual production units) and they are beautiful instruments. Everything is very well designed and the build quality seems to be quite good.
IMO the best feature of the Solaris is its simplicity. This may sound strange given its deep synthesis architecture, but despite all its capabilities it is just wonderfully intuitive to use. After just a few minutes I felt right at home and had already made a simple but decent bass sound.
Kudos to John Bowen for designing this interface. It really invites you to be creative.
Sound-wise there seems to be great potential (that bass sound certainly had a lot of punch), but there were only a little more than a handful of presets on those demo machines. So it remains to be seen what they come up with in this regard. (Word is that Howard Scarr is also creating some patches for it.) At present, the Solaris' sonic potential is still largely uncharted territory.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as Howard is providing patches for something, you can bet that the device or software sounds good. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: