Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

About RH3 keybeds
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: About RH3 keybeds Reply with quote

Hi pals.

Looking for some info for a friend interested in the SV-1, I came across this threath about some issues with the 73 RH3 keybeds.

As Kronos will be using the same RH3 keybeds and some of you have expressed your interest in this regard, I think it worths to know the input from SV1 users about such matter:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=56083&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Regards.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
OboKeyDrum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though there were some problems they seem to have been fixed by replacing the keyboards in question...

I have another question about the RH3 keybed: Can you adjust the weight of the keys? I mean the actual feeling when you play the keys, not something like velocity curves...
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's encouraging that a number of people were taken care of! That would be enormously frustrating and off putting to have clicking sounds coming from the keybed!!!

The RH3 has been used in many keyboards from Korg- and this is the first I've heard of this problem- so I wonder if it has anything to do with the SV-1 model in particular, like it was made in a different factory than most other RH3 keybeds, or it had to be modified in some way to accomadate the slim profile of this board.

I've got a lot of mechanical noise from the Fatar keybed on my Nord Stage 88, and its the only thing that I seriously don't like about the Stage- it's like my suspension of disbelief (that I'm playing a real piano with an amazing sound) is disrupted and pulled into the mundane details of a mechanically noisy keybed. Fortunately though there's no loud clicking like that one You Tube video where it could be heard even during loud playing.

Randy
OboKeyDrum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure some M3 or M50 owners or maybe some officials happen to know if one can adjust the weight of the keys of an RH3 keybed... Wink

In this case, I would be more than happy to know. Smile
mackbaz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I would certainly play the thing before you buy it. I have had my keyboard (sv-1 8Cool replaced for this issue, and though it is better than the first. I still have clicking keys. I have just learned to deal with it. I was pretty upset with the fact I had to settle after I had spent $2000. I would be even more frustrated if I paid $3500. My best advice is to come prepared to play some music with dynamics and range across the keyboard.

I think it is interesting that I have seen most complaints about the RH3 on the SV-1. I am curious to find out if its something particular to the design of the keyboard, or a lapse in QC on the RH3 manufacturing process.

I guess my final 2 cents is just to be cautioned. If I ever get a kronos it will be the 61 key synth action.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macbaz wrote:
Quote:
Well I would certainly play the thing before you buy it. I have had my keyboard (sv-1 8Cool replaced for this issue, and though it is better than the first. I still have clicking keys. I have just learned to deal with it. I was pretty upset with the fact I had to settle after I had spent $2000. I would be even more frustrated if I paid $3500. My best advice is to come prepared to play some music with dynamics and range across the keyboard.

I think it is interesting that I have seen most complaints about the RH3 on the SV-1. I am curious to find out if its something particular to the design of the keyboard, or a lapse in QC on the RH3 manufacturing process.

You've learned to live with it and its not as bad as it was- does that mean it only happens on a few keys for you, and its not as loud? With you're first SV-1, did it get worse over time? How about your second SV-1? Did you get any clarification on what was causing it? Very interested 'cause i'll probably get the K73!

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing about this being particular to the SV-1- 'cause presumably there's a lot more M3-88's, M50-88s and other Korg keyboards that use the RH3 keybed, and this is the only RH3 Korg i've heard of with this problem.

Randy
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 points.

1. Has any M3 owners suffered this issue?

2. Korg does take care of it's customers to make them happy. I had a problem with my Triton Pro when I first bought it and they first replaced the keybed then eventually drop shipped me a new one from the factory. Jerry K, thanks again for taking care of this. You will be missed (from Korg of course).
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
mackbaz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
macbaz wrote:
Quote:

You've learned to live with it and its not as bad as it was- does that mean it only happens on a few keys for you, and its not as loud? With you're first SV-1, did it get worse over time? How about your second SV-1? Did you get any clarification on what was causing it? Very interested 'cause i'll probably get the K73!

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing about this being particular to the SV-1- 'cause presumably there's a lot more M3-88's, M50-88s and other Korg keyboards that use the RH3 keybed, and this is the only RH3 Korg i've heard of with this problem.

Randy

Yes. There are only a few keys that seem more loose than the others. They are certainly more susceptible to clicks than the other keys, but it is not as bad as the last keyboard. I could hear the clicks while using my headphones on the old one.

and as McHale pointed out, Korg did take care of me... at least Korg USA. They have little power to actually correct the issue that's inherent to the sv-1, so they did the best with what they had.

I would definitely play the 73k Kronos before purchasing though. I know it seems that the SV-1s are the only ones with the issues, but there is a chance the kronos could suffer from it as well. There's no way to tell before you actually get your hands on it.
Devnor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least in my local GC stores, the 73 key SV1 is not wearing well. There are gaps and the keybed feels "clunky". Other boards (Fantom, Motif XS) play as expected and without these gaps. I can't imagine being in the market for a stage piano and still wanting an SV1 after playing these demo units.
mackbaz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devnor wrote:
At least in my local GC stores, the 73 key SV1 is not wearing well. There are gaps and the keybed feels "clunky". Other boards (Fantom, Motif XS) play as expected and without these gaps. I can't imagine being in the market for a stage piano and still wanting an SV1 after playing these demo units.

After saying that I am surprised you have a keyboard on order with the same keybed.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm told that the KRONOS keybed is slightly different from the SV-1, with different rubber parts for a smoother feel. I don't have any more details, however (keybeds are done in Japan, not by my group here in the states).

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
mackbaz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
I'm told that the KRONOS keybed is slightly different from the SV-1, with different rubber parts for a smoother feel. I don't have any more details, however (keybeds are done in Japan, not by my group here in the states).

- Dan

Who do I have to pay to get that improved keybed in my SV?
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mackbaz wrote:
danatkorg wrote:

- Dan

Probably the same person I'd have to pay to get the new Jetta's engine in my older model, or to get Snow Leopard to run on my G5.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
mackbaz wrote:

Probably the same person I'd have to pay to get the new Jetta's engine in my older model, or to get Snow Leopard to run on my G5.

- Dan

touche'
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
mackbaz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
mackbaz wrote:
danatkorg wrote:

- Dan

- Dan

Well I can see that's a joke. If only I could get a a solid keybed I'd be so satisfied with the SV-1. I suppose I will continue to deal with the noise.

I really hope the issue is fixed with the Kronos, because I like about every other aspect of Korg's products. This could be really damaging to what seems like a great product.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: