Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Optical In/Out ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Kronos Optical In/Out ? Reply with quote

Planing for the Kronos arrival, I was thinking about using the S/PDIF optical connection.
I know that I will be using the out to my interface (Ensemble) and was wondering if or why I would also use the optical back into the Kronos.

I was hoping someone might shed some light on how this could be used and what for? (The return signal) Thanks.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The Kronos has an excellent Vocoder. Mike Conway has some exquisite demos of vocoding voice with onboard HD-1 Choir samples making the OASYS (Kronos) sound like a Choir. Not quite Roland's Vocal Design but never the less, incredibly good. So - you could feed in a mic. from your mixer/interface and through optical into the Kronos.

2. Many synth engines including MS20EX, STR-1 and MOD- accept external audio input, from mics or other synthesizers or DAW audio tracks. So again, optical in takes care of that.

3. Using Kronos's onboard effects on external singnals.

4. When composing on the Kronos sequencer, you can record other instruments / voice onto Kronos HD Audio Tracks.

Kevin.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
1. The Kronos has an excellent Vocoder. Mike Conway has some exquisite demos of vocoding voice with onboard HD-1 Choir samples making the OASYS (Kronos) sound like a Choir.
So - you could feed in a mic. from your mixer/interface and through optical into the Kronos.

So, for instance, in my daw, I could select the output of my mic to the optical out and this would be received at Kronos optical in? Is that correct?

Quote:
4. When composing on the Kronos sequencer, you can record other instruments / voice onto Kronos HD Audio Tracks.

Does this also mean I could run a plug, like say Omnisphere out the spdif and into the Kronos HD Audio?

Thanks Kevin!
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Mike Conway has some exquisite demos of vocoding voice with onboard HD-1 Choir samples making the OASYS (Kronos) sound like a Choir. Not quite Roland's Vocal Design but never the less, incredibly good.

Got a link? Very Happy
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveBoulden wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:
Mike Conway has some exquisite demos of vocoding voice with onboard HD-1 Choir samples making the OASYS (Kronos) sound like a Choir. Not quite Roland's Vocal Design but never the less, incredibly good.

Got a link? Very Happy

Vocoder

More Vocoding
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lou.
Slovenec

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SPDIF I/O means that you can use your choice of high quality external preamp to feed signals into the Kronos' HDR without and sound degradation. My Joe Meek Twin Q (which has both optical and coaxial SPDIF outs) would be perfect for use with the Kronos and there are plenty of other options out there.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slovenec wrote:
The SPDIF I/O means that you can use your choice of high quality external preamp to feed signals into the Kronos' HDR without and sound degradation. My Joe Meek Twin Q (which has both optical and coaxial SPDIF outs) would be perfect for use with the Kronos and there are plenty of other options out there.

Nice channel strip. I was just noticing that it has all of the available outs but there are no AES or S/PDIF ins?
I don't think you can feed signal back into the Kronos with it?
theshinenz

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a similar topic, is there a cable that can connect spdif optical to to slink optical? I wanted to connect my kurzwiel pc3 to the kronos but retain he option of using the analog ins for a vocoding if poss, and want to avoid a conversion box in between, if not I guess i'll have to ditch the vocoding live.

Cheers.

Scott
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theshinenz wrote:
On a similar topic, is there a cable that can connect spdif optical to to slink optical? I wanted to connect my kurzwiel pc3 to the kronos but retain he option of using the analog ins for a vocoding if poss, and want to avoid a conversion box in between, if not I guess i'll have to ditch the vocoding live.

Cheers.

Scott

SPDIF and TOSLINK are two completely different formats for the data stream. So you can't simply 'adapt' the physical connections. As is usually the case, the connections are different for a reason.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are boxes that will convert from SPDIF to lightpipe (Behringer do one although it may defeat the clarity part of the exercise if you used one!)

Reason being that you're going from electrical signal to optical signal.....
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScoobyDoo555 wrote:
There are boxes that will convert from SPDIF to lightpipe (Behringer do one although it may defeat the clarity part of the exercise if you used one!)

Reason being that you're going from electrical signal to optical signal.....

Both are digital so there should be no degradation of the signal.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory, a 1 & 0 are just that: lovely sentiment, but it IS Behringer (without slagging it off! Laughing! ) - I've got one at college where I teach...... it ain't brilliant.
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
RKfan

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related subject, I have a question.

If I use the USB port to transfer MIDI/audio etc between the Kronos and a PC are the midi interfaces still working?

This would be so I can chain the K to my other keyboard without using two USBs and probably confusing my DAW.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RKfan wrote:
On a related subject, I have a question.

If I use the USB port to transfer MIDI/audio etc between the Kronos and a PC are the midi interfaces still working?

This would be so I can chain the K to my other keyboard without using two USBs and probably confusing my DAW.

In most keyboards that support MIDI via USB, the physical MIDI ports are a SECOND set of MIDI ports. Visible via the MIDI out of your DAW. You get 2 complete sets of MIDI IO.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: