Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keyboard Stands
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can tell you one NOT to get Evil or Very Mad

Granted, not that expensive, and Quiklok used to be very good.

But so far, when initially putting the thing up, it was built incorrectly at the factory(!) - had to strip it down and start again.
Then over the last 5 months, the main "screws" holding the extensions have lost their thread - it's TOTALLY worn away.

I regret selling my Ultimate Apex all those years ago when I stopped gigging. Might be another ebay trawl, I think.
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CfNorENa wrote:
Don't know about that one, but I've been using this Z-stand by Quiklok (first with my M50-88, and hopefully, soon, with a big K) and have been very happy with it:

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=productsMore&iProduct=97&sName=Z-716L

Very sturdy, and one big advantage is that you can "modularize" it by adding all sorts of accessories (second tier, shelves, space for rack gear, etc. etc.).
+1
I also use the Z-716L. A 6-Space Rack Equipment Holder Z-M-91 is mounted on top of the lower crossbar for my rack synths and audio interface:

Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones
Starlin

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see - this is why I LOVE this community!

Thank you all for the wonderful insight + pics (and it gave me a ton more ideas).

I'm definitely convinced QL Z is the way to go...now to figure out which accessories and such.

And "ScoobyDoo555", yeah, I'm avoiding 'X' stands. Hurts the knees...
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently using a dual-tier Quicklock M92 that has turned out to be really robust for heavy gigging:

dustymaestro

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Konig Meyer.

Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orpheus2006 wrote:
CfNorENa wrote:
Don't know about that one, but I've been using this Z-stand by Quiklok (first with my M50-88, and hopefully, soon, with a big K) and have been very happy with it:

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=productsMore&iProduct=97&sName=Z-716L

Very sturdy, and one big advantage is that you can "modularize" it by adding all sorts of accessories (second tier, shelves, space for rack gear, etc. etc.).
+1
I also use the Z-716L. A 6-Space Rack Equipment Holder Z-M-91 is mounted on top of the lower crossbar for my rack synths and audio interface:

Wowsa- that's an impressive setup for a 1 synth configuration of laptop, monitors, music stand, mic stand, module rack and document shelf. I wonder how much that entire setup would cost in the US?

I currently have the same basic setup with a Z stand, but use a sheet of plywood on a second tier for monitors, laptop, mixer, etc.

As someone who would go for your setup, I wonder though about:
? Knee space as you're sitting down (rack modules)
? Weight of the monitors makes it a little unstable
? Monitors are a bit close
? How easy to setup/schleep for performing (but not with rack module or documentation space or laptop holder).

I like having near field monitors- perfectly positioned for a great stereo sound, but with the music stand and those monitors, visually you've got a lot of stuff blocking your view of others for performing.

Randy
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like quick-lok, but those look like a nightmare for setup and teardown. How long does it take you guys? I have an Apex stand and while it's not the best, takes me under 1 minute to setup or tear down.

For stationary in the home, I've been looking at this:

They make one that has a built in rack too, but that's not what I need. To get a lot of boards in one place it's like a cool A-Frame stand. I have 2 keyboards I never get to use, and this would allow me to have those ready at all times so I have something to play when my gigging boards are packed up.

Last edited by NuSkoolTone on Fri May 27, 2011 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
I like quick-lok, but those look like a nightmare for setup and teardown. How long does it take you guys? I have an Apex stand and while it's not the best, takes me under 1 minute to setup or tear down.

The M-92 is as quick, if not quicker than the Apex (AX48) to set-up.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
I like quick-lok, but those look like a nightmare for setup and teardown.

The Z stands?

If you're only using one keyboard, it's 2 HUGE hand screws. Takes about 10 seconds to screw it together.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
? How easy to setup/schleep for performing (but not with rack module or documentation space or laptop holder).

(1) Knee space is not an issue at all, that's the advantage of a Z stand. There's enough space, even with the rack modules.
(2) I use Event TR-8s, they weigh 11,5 kg each. On harder keyboard hits or when turning up the volume, the speaker shelves begin to swing. But it has never been a real problem. I'm not sure if I would buy those again. Separate monitor stands may be better, but (on the other hand) they also tend to swing if the volume is turned up, don't they?
(3) The angle of the monitor shelves can be easily adjusted to preserve the ideal triangle.
(4) The stand can easily be assembled/disassembled, but it is bulky indeed. I use it only in the home studio.

Other hint:
If you store cables and power adapters in a 2U rack tray, then the floor is free of any cables (except for the pedals).
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones
DocAtlas

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:

For stationary in the home, I've been looking at this:

They make one that has a built in rack too, but that's not what I need. To get a lot of boards in one place it's like a cool A-Frame stand. I have 2 keyboards I never get to use, and this would allow me to have those ready at all times so I have something to play when my gigging boards are packed up.

That's sweet! I could use that at home. Is that made by Ultimate? I use one of their A-frames for my performing rig.
Korg BX3; Korg Triton (classic) w/MOSS, Studio Essentials & Vintage Archives; Korg N5EX; Korg O3RW; Kurzweil K2600s; Kurzweil 1000GX;Hammond C3 & Leslie 145; Farfisa Fast 3; Sequential Pro-One; Moog Liberation; Emu Proteus 3; Emu Planet Earth w/Vintage Expansion; Roland JV-880; Yamaha Motif Rack; Yamaha DX21; Yamaha TX216; Yamaha TX81Z; Yamaha TG77.
Jon Lord

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DocAtlas wrote:
That's sweet! I could use that at home. Is that made by Ultimate? I use one of their A-frames for my performing rig.
http://www.jaspers-alu.de/
Can be bought at thomann for example if you are located in the EU.

Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orpheus2006 wrote:
Randelph wrote:

(1) Knee space is not an issue at all, that's the advantage of a Z stand. There's enough space, even with the rack modules.
(2) I use Event TR-8s, they weigh 11,5 kg each. On harder keyboard hits or when turning up the volume, the speaker shelves begin to swing. But it has never been a real problem. I'm not sure if I would buy those again. Separate monitor stands may be better, but (on the other hand) they also tend to swing if the volume is turned up, don't they?
(3) The angle of the monitor shelves can be easily adjusted to preserve the ideal triangle.
(4) The stand can easily be assembled/disassembled, but it is bulky indeed. I use it only in the home studio.

Other hint:
If you store cables and power adapters in a 2U rack tray, then the floor is free of any cables (except for the pedals).

Thanks for the reply!

At least from the picture, it appears as if the front of the rack modules are more or less flush with the front edge of the keyboard, which wouldn't give you knees any room. But on looking again, it may just be that the photo makes it look that way, but actually the rack modules are further back.

For a system like you've got, I would guess that for a full sound and no worries, a 3 way system with a sub would be ideal: keep the weight down for the monitor holders, and if you were performing, you wouldn't have so much between you and your bandmates/audience.

Actually, having a 4.1 system would be even more ideal: a pair of small monitors facing you, another stereo pair stacked on top but facing out, to let others hear what you're playing.

I've been wanting something like that attached to the stand: it's hard to get any better placement for stereo speakers than that!

And having everything attached to a stand is great- for a live setup, if it was reasonable to tear down and setup, it'd be pretty ideal.

Randy
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
At least from the picture, it appears as if the front of the rack modules are more or less flush with the front edge of the keyboard, which wouldn't give you knees any room. But on looking again, it may just be that the photo makes it look that way, but actually the rack modules are further back.
Actually you can't see the upper 2 units of the rack on the picture. Just follow the sides (the Z) then you can imagine that it must be further back.
Phabius

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live, I would go with this:

http://www.ultimatesupport.com/product/AX-90R
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: