Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

promises promises
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comparison between the unfinished OS of the Fantom G and the lack of an editor for Kronos is ludicrous. Fantom G owners are still waiting for an update that I think will remain vaporware. Roland ALSO took a deserved black eye from the failure to develop ARX.

But, with Kronos, you CAN do everything in terms of editing. Yes, it CAN be cumbersome, but, you CAN do it and out of the box, Kronos is doing a LOT better with user satisfaction than the Fantom G did at its release. Come on folks, do you not remember that out of the box, Roland's new flagship did NOT include multisampling??

Patience man patience!! Smile Think of the Fantom G owners and their failed ARX and lack of OS update, and even more so, be happy you have a Kronos. We are so lucky in that we mortals essentially have an OASYS with some added amazing bits. No I am not a Korg fanboy. I am merely stating that this WHINING about the lack of an editor is simply puerile. So sue Korg for using an inaccurate verb tense, or, sell your Kronos to me. I have one and would love another.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
jahrome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's ludicrous is the fact individuals can't read. No one is directly comparing the Fantom G's OS and the lack of Kronos having the advertised editor. And you are a Korg-fanboy based upon your passionate response. (not that it is a bad word).

I made my fair share of jokes at the expense of Roland. But Korg has some things to address as well outside of the falsely advertised editor such as the onboard sequencer which is not up to the standard set by the M3 (they keyboard I wouldn't take if they were giving it away).

By the way...in before the lock. Laughing
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jahrome,

I was not addressing you directly. In fact it was in reading your initial enthusiasm for Kronos that actually built my confidence and your early words were true. I do however resent the fact you imply I cannot read. Go through the thread and you will see a post that DOES compare the lack of an editor in Kronos with the lack of a crucial OS update from Roland.

Jahrome, if you look at my sig, you will see that I have TWO pieces of Korg gear. I have been playing Rolands and switching in Kurzweils. The Wavestation EX I do have I am donating to a school so that some underprivileged kids can have an instrument to play on. I am a fanboy of MUSIC my friend.

As to the sequencer and other issues, I would say that yes these are needed. I would also add that if you compare the presence of Korg reps here and Dave Weiser's presence at Sonikmatter for Kurzweil versus the LACK of presence on the part of Roland at Roland Clan, I would offer that we Korg users have a better chance to be heard and indeed Dan HAS and does answer questions. Roland should HIRE Artemiy Pavlov actually. I am convinced he knows Roland instruments better than Roland Wink

Time will tell concerning the updates and the editor of course. The only point I was trying to make in the end Jahrome was asking that we have a bit of patience. The Kronos even for its shortcomings is in my opinion a wonderful instrument. Our mileages may vary and that is cool. The more time I spend with this instrument the more I realize that it has filled a need in my home studio and live rig such that barring a bargain on a used Kronos in six months, I can say that that my keyboard rig is complete.

If the editor never comes out I will not hate Korg. But, I recognize that that for you the editor is important and that too is cool. I suppose from years of programming Kurzweils which admittedly have a byzantine interface that I am not really in need of an editor; the Kronos IS easier to navigate.

I like your posts Jahrome but I do take issue with your implication of my reading comprehension and that you have taken an observation written in good spirit as an attack on you. That is not the case.

In closing, I again thank you for your early posts on Kronos. You were one of the first here to actually play one and reading your impressions was quite instrumental if you will pardon the pun in my choosing Kronos over the XF.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
jahrome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Vlad_77
I am sorry if you are offended. But I went back and re-read my comments. You should do the same. I did not...I repeat..I did not compare Kronos lack of an editor to the Fantom G's OS. You are taking my comments out of context.

But I will explain it again. We were talking about other workstations having editors upon being released. Fantom G was one of them. The Kronos not having the advertised editor is a gripe. There are several other gripes with Kronos as well (both hardware and software). When I mentioned the Fantom G, I was talking about my gripes with the workstation and the OS. I did not give any other specifics. And I didn't compare it to Kronos' missing editor. The "black eye" I spoke of was about general gripes. I can't explain it to you any clearer than that.

But while we are on the subject...my gripes with the Fantom is the way it organizes files on the hard drive; the way it doesn't take full advantage of the mouse (Kronos doesn't provide support for a mouse), and the fact it doesn't have all of the Fantom Xs sample editing tools. None of these functions on my Fantom G wishlist was advertised by Roland. Again, this has nothing to do with Kronos' missing editor.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Vlad_77!

As a Fantom G owner, I will just throw my opinion in the ring that there is NO comparison between the failed delivery of the FG OS updates, as there is to the KRONOS editor. No doubt....the editor will arrive in a reasonable period of time. And it will ADD a slick new feature to the already FULLY functional KRONOS. The FG on the other hand has been crippled since its birth. In many ways I still love the FG for what it can do and do well. But, in particular with its sequencer, it is simply crippled....such a shame as it had the genuine potential to be the ultimate workstation if it only functioned as it should (for example as the MV8800 DID function).

I can fully respect jahrome's opinion here....in that a promise....heck, more than a promise...a commitment was made when KORG spec'ed the editor on its website. So....point fully taken. However, from a more practical point of view....in a world where everything doesn't always happen as it "should"....I learned right up front....from jahrome in fact (in his original new KRONOS thread) that the editor was not delivered with product or available yet. I know enough to research my >$3000 purchases before I drop the cash, by reviewing forums and asking questions. I made my purchase with my eyes wide open to the simple facts, and I have faith that the editor will arrive soon.

Its fair for anyone to have an opinion on this matter....but at the end of the day, it just one of those things.....it happens. As deficiencies of keyboard releases go.....this is a fairly mild one, IMHO.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
jahrome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Fatom G and Kronos owner...the G has a better sequencer. I will write another thread to go into specific details why I feel this way.
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahrome wrote:
As a Fatom G and Kronos owner...the G has a better sequencer. I will write another thread to go into specific details why I feel this way.

Is that even necessary.... Rolling Eyes
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say, I've kinda lost the thread of this, erm, thread... Laughing
jahrome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillW wrote:
jahrome wrote:

Is that even necessary.... Rolling Eyes

I think so...its as necessary as having a wish list for future updates. And since you claim to own both the Fantom G and Kronos, you should be able to relate.
Mystic38

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

as a new machine, sold at a premium price, the Kronos should be better than the competition across the board. it isnt.

so in fact... comparisons such as these are the WAY to create the wish list for future updates!.... they are not knee jerk left field extractions or pie in the sky ideas .. but an objective identification of comparative feature shortfalls to the competition.. by someone with extensive knowledge of both machies.. we need the same for the motif XF... or is "not as good as a 3yo synth" good enough"?

IMO Korg will not spend R&D $$$ to update the os to improve or add new features if there is not identification and rationale for those changes... this is that process... and, given I dont recall anyone taking issue with jahrome highlighting in depth how good the sampling section was... lets let objectivity flourish.Smile

jahrome wrote:
I think so...its as necessary as having a wish list for future updates.

Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what the Kronos "Wish List" sticky is for.
jahrome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillW wrote:
That's what the Kronos "Wish List" sticky is for.

True. A single place to compile 1,000+ requests. I consider that great for Korg to shift through. However, in addition to that, I think it would be helpful to create specific threads dedicated to each Mode or specific function of Kronos...to include like and dislikes, tips, over all opinions, comparisons with other workstations, and suggestions for improvements.

Otherwise, the forum would just be filled with "Hey, I got my Kronos today," "I love Korg Kronos," "Kronos is the best keyboard ever," "Something is wrong with my Kronos," etc., type threads. There is plenty of room for other types of threads....I will write some of them...
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well FWIW....as both a KRONOS and Fantom G user/owner....I cannot absolutely concur that the FG sequencer is better than KRONOS. In some ways it is....in others KRONOS is better. FG certainly could be the best, by a long mile, its all right there in the hardware and foundation of the software.... but its crippled in some critical ways. Of course, same could be said about the KRONOS, and if it had the M3 Xpanded features, it would be much closer to excellent....but still it would not rise to the potential of the Fantom G's user interface.......again...the POTENTIAL (never realized). This strictly relates to the sequencer. In most every other way, KRONOS rules the FG. All IMHO of course.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahrome wrote:
synthguy wrote:
...considering Japan has recently undergone a disaster on the scale of a small war, and in their manufacturing area - heck, they had to work around power rationing and threats from a failing reactor farm!...

Everyone keeps speculating what is going on in the country I live in. The disaster did not effect the entire country anymore than Hurricane Katrina effected the rest of the US. Korg is less approx 40 minutes where I live. The disaster hit approx 4-5 hours north of us. If Korg was able to manufacturer and ship out keyboards, I don'r believe the disaster had any effect on the programmers coding the software editor.

Well, you're possibly right, though I doubt it. Katrina did clobber our oil production severely, causing fuel prices to hit $4 a gallon, which can only be compared to living in the U.S. during WW II. It pretty much hurt every aspect of the economy.

Japan's economy was in danger of collapse, though the Japanese do know how to knuckle down and survive the most incredible disasters, even one which wiped an entire region off the face of the land.

But, KORG had suppliers up north crippled badly, a few might have ceased to exist.

Even in Tokyo where Polyphony Digital is located, the home of the racing game Gran Turismo, work halted completely for a few weeks. Faced with hackers taking down the Playstation Network, SONY was badly hampered because of the disaster, and was slow to deal with the problem. Of course, in the rest of the world which has no idea what a tsunami even is, all we do is complain. Go figure.

By the way, I hate the new Fantom sequencer with a passion. I wish they would go back to the one used on the XP-80. Or give me the one on the Kronos. I never liked that silly piano roll thing anyhow.
jahrome

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
Well FWIW....as both a KRONOS and Fantom G user/owner....I cannot absolutely concur that the FG sequencer is better than KRONOS. In some ways it is....in others KRONOS is better. FG certainly could be the best, by a long mile, its all right there in the hardware and foundation of the software.... but its crippled in some critical ways. Of course, same could be said about the KRONOS, and if it had the M3 Xpanded features, it would be much closer to excellent....but still it would not rise to the potential of the Fantom G's user interface.......again...the POTENTIAL (never realized). This strictly relates to the sequencer. In most every other way, KRONOS rules the FG. All IMHO of course.

You wrote that with a straight face? You can't be serious. Since you made such a claim with backing it up, here are some specifics.

Kronos
1. GUI - visually lackluster, font way too small
2. 16 MIDI tracks; 16 MIDI channels (internal/external)
3. 16 tracks of hard disk recording
4. No option to zoom/in out in Track Edit
5. MENU intensive; all editing functions are buried in a menu
6. Playhead marker is a tiny yellow triangle you can barely see
7. No piano roll editor
8. Can independently loop tracks
9. Record Standby does nothing to enhance workflow; recording preferences options buried in another menu
10. Swing: Offline process only
11. Locate/Point- Scratching my head on this one. Seems to be only 1 locate point. This must be an error
12. Has multi-record option

Fantom G
1. GUI - beautiful, doesn't strain your eyes
2. 128 MIDI tracks; Up to 64 MIDI channels (16 internal, 16 external, 32 via expansion boards)
3. 24 tracks of RAM-based audio recording
4. Options to zoom in/out (vertically or horizontally)
5. Common ediingt options are displayed on the screen for easier access
6. Has a DAW styled playhead marker/cursor; visually appealing
7. Piano roll edit and MIDI event list editor displayed on 1 screen
8. Cannot independently loop individual tracks
9. Record Standby opens a window to access recording preferences: track select, count in, quantize, swing/shuffle, recording mode, loop settings, audio input setting, etc
10. Swing: can be applied during recording or as an offline process
11. Locate/Markers - has DAW styled locate/marker capabilities (can name markers: intro, chorus, verse, break, etc)
12. No multi-record option; record only 1 track at a time

I can go on. As I am sitting side by side with these keyboards, I really can't find anything that Kronos sequencer has that I would prefer over the Fantom G. You mentioned that Roland Fantom G's sequencer didn't reach its full potential. I agree. But in the same instance, the Kronos sequencer cannot match Roland's 3 year old design. Fantom G's sequencer is better than Kronos by light years. The M3 even has a better sequencer than Kronos.

I can respect your opinion...but give us some specifics....I have. You can even post them here: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=62969

Last edited by jahrome on Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: