Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS RAM UPGRADE 2Go to 4 Go
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
madbeatzyo111

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as 3.25Gb lets you load all the native sound sets, plus gives you enough room for sampling, I think this solves the problem that many had with the Kronos (vs the XF with its expandable flash).

Besides 2Gb modules are so cheap I wouldn't mind losing the .75Gb.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGT wrote:
The speedometer of my car indicates 300 km/h and I will never get to use it Wink

You should Wink

The speedometer of my Nissan 350Z :

(picture taken on a German highway where there is no speed limit)

Last edited by EXer on Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chriskk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well of course. If I put 4 GB in Kronos, I would want to use ALL 4 GB that are in there, NOT A MEGABYTE LESS.

That's not going to happen in the computer world anytime soon. Check out the hdd in your computer. The useable space is less than its true capacity due to the file system structure, etc. A 2GB DDR2 memory module costs something like $25. Losing .75GB is not something to lose sleep over.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGT wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
Well of course. If I put 4 GB in Kronos, I would want to use ALL 4 GB that are in there, NOT A MEGABYTE LESS.

That doesn't make sense to you?

The speedometer of my car indicates 300 km/h and I will never get to use it Wink

That's not my problem. Razz

750 MB is quite a lot for workstations and it can be put to very good use. The difference of 1 GB available for samples versus 3 GB is huge. But between 1 GB and 2.25 GB... doesn't look as impressive. Smile
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
Quote:

That's not going to happen in the computer world anytime soon. Check out the hdd in your computer. The useable space is less than its true capacity due to the file system structure, etc. A 2GB DDR2 memory module costs something like $25. Losing .75GB is not something to lose sleep over.

Well, hard drives and RAM memory are different things. Memory doesn't have formatting like hard drives, so it doesn't lose capacity because of that. If you have 2 GB of RAM in your computer, you're using all 2, not 1.5. Right? Right. Hence, limiting RAM to 3.25 GB when you have full 4 GB is simply not justified from my point of view, and yes it's worth losing some sleep over it.

Wrong argument there, pal.

Last edited by EvilDragon on Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: KRONOS RAM UPGRADE 2Go to 4 Go Reply with quote

PGT wrote:
Hi all,

Today, I've decided to add 2 Go of memory to my new K61 Very Happy

In fact : 2Go >>> 4Go = 3.25 GB (see img bellow) (32bits limitation)

When I load all options, I have 1124 Mo of free RAM Wink

I Have used : Corsair 4 Go (Kit 2x2Go) DDR2-SDRAM PC6400 5-5-5-18 - TWIN2X4096-6400C5 G

Patrick

You boldly went where most warranty-conscious owners fear to go!

How easy/hard was it to add the memory? How much time did it take to install it? I heard the Oasys had easy access to the memory slot.

Randy
madbeatzyo111

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you made his point since you didn't reach your max speed either. There's overhead in every system, so it's not unreasonable to have to put in disproportionately more to obtain a result--especially as you approach the limit of a system. That last 15kph is probably the toughest I bet Wink
madbeatzyo111

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:

Well, hard drives and RAM memory are different things. Memory doesn't have formatting like hard drives, so it doesn't lose capacity because of that. If you have 2 GB of RAM in your computer, you're using all 2, not 1.5. Right? Right. Hence, limiting RAM to 3.25 GB when you have full 4 GB is simply not justified from my point of view, and yes it's worth losing some sleep over it.

Guys, no point in arguing about this; it's a limitation of the CPU so there's nothing we can do about it besides changing the CPU out too. Which most likely wouldn't work. It would have been awesome if Korg chose to use a core i3 ULV; then we could have put in up to 8Gb.
PGT

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: KRONOS RAM UPGRADE 2Go to 4 Go Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:

You boldly went where most warranty-conscious owners fear to go!
I'assume Very Happy

Randelph wrote:

How easy/hard was it to add the memory? How much time did it take to install it? I heard the Oasys had easy access to the memory slot.
Randy
If I compare the complexity to access the memory slots on the KRONOS versus OASYS : 3x more time for KRONOS / 10x more screws.
Time for replacing the factory 2GB memory to 4GB inside the KRONOS : 15 minutes Wink

Patrick
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madbeatzyo111 wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

Guys, no point in arguing about this; it's a limitation of the CPU so there's nothing we can do about it besides changing the CPU out too. Which most likely wouldn't work. It would have been awesome if Korg chose to use a core i3 ULV; then we could have put in up to 8Gb.

CPU in Kronos SUPPORTS FULL 4 GB OF RAM! Addressing the whole available memory can be adjusted in software (PAE extensions), a new CPU is not needed.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any critical things when opening the Kronos? Or straightforward unscrewing all the bottom side screws without any problems?
How many memory slots?
madbeatzyo111

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:

CPU in Kronos SUPPORTS FULL 4 GB OF RAM! Addressing the whole available memory can be adjusted in software (PAE extensions), a new CPU is not needed.

True true, my bad. Someone needs to try this out then.
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:

We NEVER EVER GET TO USE THE ENTIRE SIZE OF A HARD DRIVE THAT WE INSTALL... HOW IS THIS SITUATION ANY DIFFERENT?

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
PGT

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Any critical things when opening the Kronos? Or straightforward unscrewing all the bottom side screws without any problems?
How many memory slots?

2 slots Wink

MY METHOD:

UNPLUGED your KRONOS Very Happy
WARNING
1) Return your KRONOS, and move it on 2 sweet pillows (for example), 1 for the right side / 1 for the left side. Please, apply a particular attention to the cursors and at the joystick.
2) the screws located under the keyboard are holding an aluminium bar, attention when you unscrew the bar go down
3) unscrew all screws before remove the bottom cover in aluminium
4) locate and remove the original 2GB memory stick
5) put the 2x2GB memory sticks
6) put the cover and screw some screws
7) put in place the front bar and fix it with the screws
Cool PLUG THE POWER CABLE and Power ON your KRONOS
9) Go to the Global menu Page and verifying if you have 3.25 GB Question

Patrick
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apex wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

We NEVER EVER GET TO USE THE ENTIRE SIZE OF A HARD DRIVE THAT WE INSTALL... HOW IS THIS SITUATION ANY DIFFERENT?

RAM IS NOT THE SAME THING AS HARD DRIVE! Read what I wrote above if you're not blind! RAM does NOT have the file system formatting like hard drives, so it doesn't lose capacity! 3.25 GB IS AN ARTIFICIAL SOFTWARE LIMITATION!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: