Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS RAM UPGRADE 2Go to 4 Go
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
apex wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
Well of course. If I put 4 GB in Kronos, I would want to use ALL 4 GB that are in there, NOT A MEGABYTE LESS.

That doesn't make sense to you?

We NEVER EVER GET TO USE THE ENTIRE SIZE OF A HARD DRIVE THAT WE INSTALL... HOW IS THIS SITUATION ANY DIFFERENT?

RAM IS NOT THE SAME THING AS HARD DRIVE! Read what I wrote above if you're not blind! RAM does NOT have the file system formatting like hard drives, so it doesn't lose capacity! 3.25 GB IS AN ARTIFICIAL SOFTWARE LIMITATION!!!

yawn........

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
panrixx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGT wrote:
jimknopf wrote:
Any critical things when opening the Kronos? Or straightforward unscrewing all the bottom side screws without any problems?
How many memory slots?

2 slots Wink

MY METHOD:

UNPLUGED your KRONOS Very Happy
WARNING
1) Return your KRONOS, and move it on 2 sweet pillows (for example), 1 for the right side / 1 for the left side. Please, apply a particular attention to the cursors and at the joystick.
2) the screws located under the keyboard are holding an aluminium bar, attention when you unscrew the bar go down
3) unscrew all screws before remove the bottom cover in aluminium
4) locate and remove the original 2GB memory stick
5) put the 2x2GB memory sticks
6) put the cover and screw some screws
7) put in place the front bar and fix it with the screws
Cool PLUG THE POWER CABLE and Power ON your KRONOS
9) Go to the Global menu Page and verifying if you have 3.25 GB Question

Patrick
Just to clarify, incase I missed it , did you fit 4Gb into just one slot OR two 2Gb (one into each of the two slots)?
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2x2 GB.
panrixx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks.

One source for those in the UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-TWIN2X4096-6400C5C-800MHz-DDR2-Memory/dp/B0027P9C9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310253377&sr=8-1
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apex wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
apex wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
Well of course. If I put 4 GB in Kronos, I would want to use ALL 4 GB that are in there, NOT A MEGABYTE LESS.

We NEVER EVER GET TO USE THE ENTIRE SIZE OF A HARD DRIVE THAT WE INSTALL... HOW IS THIS SITUATION ANY DIFFERENT?

RAM IS NOT THE SAME THING AS HARD DRIVE! Read what I wrote above if you're not blind! RAM does NOT have the file system formatting like hard drives, so it doesn't lose capacity! 3.25 GB IS AN ARTIFICIAL SOFTWARE LIMITATION!!!

yawn........

I find it hilarious that you don't have a clue what you're talking about yet dismissing someone who does. And you're wrong...
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
panrixx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder who will be the first to produce a YouTube vid of the procedure?
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That procedure sounds very daunting...its was easy to do on the Oasys. I dont think I would want to remove 10 screws and deal with falling bars lol, and what not. Plus, I've ordered an 88, so how many screws will be on the larger unit?

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
apex wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
apex wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

yawn........

I find it hilarious that you don't have a clue what you're talking about yet dismissing someone who does. And you're wrong...

Some people just cannot accept the fact that they're wrong... and clueless. Rolling Eyes
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3.25 gb memory limit reported by Kronos is due to the Intel x86 architecture. It has nothing to do with the OS. Some of the memory address space is reserved for I/O addressing just like any other Intel based PC.

It doesn't matter if real memory is installed or not. Real memory sitting in the I/O address space can not be used by applications.

A 64 bit OS is required to address the full 4 gb of memory. The I/O addresses are moved above the 4gb line. And then if you can fill that entire space with terabytes of memory there will still be some memory that is unavailable due to the I/O address hole.

It would be nice if Korg and others would upgrade to a 64bit OS but that takes a great deal of work and they are building synthesizers, not databse servers so it may be a while.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x86 architecture has little to do with it.

If that were true, 16-bit systems (i386) would've only be able to allocate up to 64 KB of RAM. But 386 PCs back in the day could use up to 16 MB of RAM.

Physical Address Extensions. That's all there is to it. Vista/Windows 7 32-bit Server has PAE, and can see and use more than 3.25 GB of RAM. It's not necessary to update Kronos' OS to 64-bit. Just add PAE.
Chrutil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
x86 architecture has little to do with it.

Physical Address Extensions. That's all there is to it. Vista/Windows 7 32-bit Server has PAE, and can see and use more than 3.25 GB of RAM. It's not necessary to update Kronos' OS to 64-bit. Just add PAE.

Actually the x86 architecture has everything to do with it.
x86 requires 700+ megabytes of address space for mapping io devices, PCI etc, into. If your Northbridge supports it and the memory controller can address 8GB then you can use PAE to map the io above 4GB and potentially use PAE to get the full 4GB of usable memory. The OS and drivers needs to be able to support this though, but I see no reason why Korg would go through the trouble of adding this to the test matrix even if all their code were to support it.
I'd rather see them spending those resources on modernizing the sequencer if it was up to me...
C
Korg Kronos 88 #444 /3GB, MU modular synth, PPG Wave 2.3, Modal Electronics 002, TTSH, Oberheim Two Voice Pro, Deckard's Dream, Kijimi, MatrixBrute, Access Virus KC, Ensoniq EPS, Korg Microsampler, Behringer Model D, Behringer Pro~1, Roland JP-08, Roland VP-03, Roland JD-08, Roland TR-8, Akai MPC-X, Roland TD-12 V-Drums, Fender Precision Bass, Martin Custom D Guitar, Sterling JP-60 Guitar, PRS Santana SE Guitar (signed), Logic Pro X, Pulsar P900 Series, Arturia V Collection 6 as well as various iPad & soft synths.
Download the Korg Kronos AL-1/Polysix Graphical Editor
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x86 architecture has everything to do with it. PAE is basically a hack to address memory above the 4gb line and there are serious limitations there. Its like having a memory based page file. It has to be mapped into the address range of the cpu.

Yes, maybe PAE would be good enough for streaming samples but it is an outdated method of mamaging memory.

The old 386 processors and DOS and early Windows used EMS and XMS. to get around the 16 bit limitations.

Anyway ... this has brought back bad memories of fixing Config.sys files Very Happy
madbeatzyo111

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it would be a miracle if Korg condones this memory expansion procedure in the first place, let alone re-do the OS to 64bit to accommodate 4Gb. I would like to know what Korg thinks about this; surely they must have anticipated it?
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
Anyway ... this has brought back bad memories of fixing Config.sys files Very Happy

Laughing Laughing
cynkh
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now when are we getting the WiFi and/or Bluetooth upgrade? Wink

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16

Jump to: