Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jazzhooves review
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bohappy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Jazzhooves review Reply with quote

Here is a review I saw on Jazzhooves

http://www.jazzhooves.com/2011/04/korg-pa3x-pro-review/

People that already have/own/played the Pa3X - do you agree with this analysis?
Do you think the styles are that inferior to Yamaha T4?

Constructive opinions are welcomed.

Than you
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear!!! Another Yamaha vs Korg battle is born - here I go again.
Firstly, thanks for the link to the review - always good to read these things.

Well, with no disrespect, I don't think the guy who reviewed it is familiar with the Korg PA style structures at all - neither do I believe that he has deeply reviewed the PA3X - has he really had a Tyros and PA together and truly compared them? I don't think so (I HAVE) - well if he has, then I guess he might work for Yamaha Wink
When Yamaha update their Tyros styles' structure (and make the OS "performance friendly") I will seriously consider getting one - but they have just revamped the same (OS and styles) over and over since PSR days. Korg's styles are outstanding compared to Yamaha's mainly due to the technology behind them - yes, one gets very excited hearing the Tyros' megavoice intros - many of them are absolutely fabulous, but it is the guts of the styles that really matters - the VARs. Chord variations and configurability are where Korg still leads the way by far. I have owned the Tyros and also the PSR s910 - I re-recorded several of my songs to compare - there is no comparison IMHO - I found myself wanting to go back and tweak, tweak tweak and multi track with my Tyros recordings whereas I can lay down my songs with the PA immediately as I want them. Yamaha Tyros has some nice sounds and as an arranger is pretty good BUT as a professional arranger it is very poor.
I have listed my findings and justifications a few times in the past on these forums - facts, not always "subjective" views. Listen carefully to the very repetitive nature of the Tyros styles and how little they change (if at all) when you play different chord types.

Tend to slightly agree with the "drums" review (BUT on PA2XPro not PA3X - I don't have mine yet!!) - drum sounds have not been a super strong point on the Korg although they are quite OK.
I can praise the Tyros as a nice arranger - cut above the Casios and Rolands - but I need usability, flexibility and authenticity in an arranger - Korg has it (I think Audya might have too if it only worked reliably).

Do I work for Korg? - NO
Do I worship Korg? - NO
Am I loyal to Korg? - NO
Am I obsessed or unconditionally biased with Korg? - NO
Would Ichange tomorrow if there was a better product that suited my needs? - YES

Korg PA is the best arranger solution for me. Tyros has its place - just not in my studio at this time - Tyros 5 76-note - who knows?? Wink

Just my opinion based on my direct Korg-Yamaha experience.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the guy who writes these reviews for Jazzhooves is a self-avowed Yamaha fan....so I would place NO value in it whatsoever.
Frans N

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's right. I already have had this discussion on the SZ forum where I told that this guy is not an honest reviewer and a BIG Yamaha fanboy.

Ofcourse nobody on the SZ did agree with me Smile
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damned with faint praise ... as the saying goes. I notice he closed the review to comments. Wink

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Jazzhooves review Reply with quote

Too Bad,
sounds like he spent an hour or 2 tinkering with it, then proclaims it's not quite up to his expectations.

It took me 3 years to get to know what my PA800 os was capable of, and I'm still finding new things out about it.

Took me a couple of months to work out what my psr wasn't capable of & there she sits, basically unused for the last 5 or 6 years.

As for styles, there are lots more styles available for yammies than for korg. It's great that one can buy professional quality styles from websites ( some are fairly pricey , though) .
As for the loads of external styles, I guess he's referring to free User Styles, if so , there's 1,000's of them available. I literally downloaded 1,000's of them. After going thru the first few 100 or so, I gave up. Spent more time trying to sort out good from bad, wasn't worth the effort.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰
Wavesart Japanese Grand Piano

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023

Last edited by rikkisbears on Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
hellboy44

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Review starts off Clear and (seemingly) unbiased, then moves into the Subjective and "catty" territory you folks have described above.

When the Reviewer says:

"and why on earth you need two song players with a fade control has always been beyond me." I see where he's coming from - i.e. little to no playing experience at the kind of Live Gig that somebody like myself does Professionally. The Crossfade is a HUGE reason why I chose Korg above ALL other Keyboards a few years ago. To keep the Dance floor Moving!

Sure, he is (quite rightly) focusing on the Arranger Capabilities - the Styles - but someone like myself uses styles 5-10% of the time at a Gig. I buy Arrangers because I enjoy Songwriting "on the 'Board" - I know I'm in the minority, but it really does give me flexibility in a "Live Performance & Inspiration" kind of way...

In other words, what I'm trying (and failing) to say is: this guy has his own way of working, and he's decided that the Korg doesn't Cater enough for him and his ways - therefore: Bad Keyboard.
skude

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started to read this review, I thought this would be a "pro. review". I guess not even a Yamaha lover would believe all this. When it comes to third party styles, Yamaha is the #1. I know, from many years with the PA 80 and the 800, that they are great KB.s and I'm sure the PA3X is a big step forward. Just waiting to try one. Smile
skude
Frans N

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Yamaha arrangers for years. Believe it or not but the reason I change to Korg are the high quality of the styles and sounds. Most of the Yamaha styles sound like a joke to me if you compare them with Korg styles. As for third party you can buy now styles for the Korg PA series at d-o-o.de
snazzyplayer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Jazzhoove's (Leigh Wilbraham's) review.

I was hoping the PA3X would meet my needs, but it has fallen short, mainly in the area of sounds and styles.

It does have very deep editing features, but, I can see why they were needed, because the sounds as delivered are not quite to the level of Yamaha's SA, SA2 and Mega voices.

I will concede that sound is subjective, but my ears are MY guide for an instrument, and it would take a hell of a lot of editing to get the PA3X styles and sounds where they would at least be acceptable, let alone at the level of Yamaha or Roland, for that matter.

My G-70 sounds better, and I am glad I kept it.

I don't agree that Leigh (Jazzhooves) is a Yamaha fanboy...Leigh is a Wersi man true and true, and also a big Roland fan (he loved the new BK-7M), and a newcomer to Yamaha arrangers (he bought a Tyros4) so I tend to trust his judgement far more than what I've read here by the more ardent of the Korg fanboys (some of whom are clearly in denial).

Unfortunately for Korg, they have lost my business with the PA3X, and I am seriously considering a Tyros4 to use with my G-70....I may even get the Roland BK-7M and midi it to the Yamaha, eventually selling the G-70.

I wish all you new PA3X owners the very best with your new instrument, and I sincerely hope I can rejoin the Korg fold at a time in the not too distant future.

Peace,

Pete
Frans N

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to start a war here but the G-70 sounds better then the PA3x?
I think the one in denial are you Pete.

I was planning to buy the Roland BK-7m but after hearing this module last weekend I pass. Doesn't even come close to the PA3x.

Here is a guy with a Korg PA3x who also has a BK-7m
http://www.youtube.com/user/majickdo
snazzyplayer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frans N wrote:
I don't want to start a war here but the G-70 sounds better then the PA3x?
I think the one in denial are you Pete.

Nope, the G-70 has a much beefier live sound; the Yamaha has a terrific smooth detailed CD quality sound, the PA3X is somewhere between the Roland and Yamaha, but not in a good way in my opinion, and I've learned I'm not alone in that respect.

No denial Frans, just a healthy dose of reality. I'm a pro player, and I want the best, and I will not settle for less. I hope Korg takes more interest in their arrangers in the future instead of doling out most of their R&D to the synth division, which in this case, was used to develop the Kronos.

I understand you are a dedicated Korg person, so you will probably disagree with my (and Leigh's) assessment, but, you are entitled to your opinion just like I am, and I'm fine with us having different views.

No war, Frans; just the two of us expressing opposite points of view. I suspect you are mature enough not to drag this on more than necessary.

Peace,

Pete
tom van rijn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just became a member to this forum to fully support the findings of Pete in the comparison of Yamaha's T4 and Korg Pa family. Pete you are right on with your comments!
The entire concept of Korg as an on the job useable arranger keyboard is miles ahead of the Yamaha T4 with its corny repetitive styles.
When it comes to bass lines, drum tracks, mixing up the turnaround patterns in 8/12/16 bars depending which variation you use in a certain style, thereby creating the real groove and feel makes the Korg Pa pro a real hip advanced instrument in a live setting.
Yamaha makes a darn nice stage slab piano (P155) but they never were a musical player in their arranger approach for comptemporary/jazz/latin styles. Tom Van Rijn
PS I do not work for KORG, and own about 10 keyboards of Roland, Korg and Yamaha.
Colleen500

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous post, Peter. +1

snazzyplayer wrote:

I was hoping the PA3X would meet my needs, but it has fallen short, mainly in the area of sounds and styles.

It does have very deep editing features, but, I can see why they were needed, because the sounds as delivered are not quite to the level of Yamaha's SA, SA2 and Mega voices.

I will concede that sound is subjective, but my ears are MY guide for an instrument, and it would take a hell of a lot of editing to get the PA3X styles and sounds where they would at least be acceptable, let alone at the level of Yamaha or Roland, for that matter.

Peace,

Pete
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colleen500 wrote:
Fabulous post, Peter. +1

snazzyplayer wrote:

Peace,

Pete

What the hell is fabulous (meaning fabled - or fantasy) about misinformed, subjective and "paid for" comment?

And as for the G70 being better, well I nearly choked on my morning coffee. I OWNED a G70, and a Tyros 4, and really the Yamaha is closest, but the G70 is a dinosaur, sounds like a dinosaur, looks like a dinosuar weighs about the same as a dinosaur....

The Tyros 4 IS quite good, for home players, but is not at all suitable for live gigging (although some do use it for such)...

Its restrictive style pattern sizes do make the styles repetitive, it is why Yamaha have to have so many sounds plinking away in them...mute a couple of the sounds playing in styles, or try some with just the bassline and the drums and you quickly see how "good" the styles are.....they remind me of the old electone organs (circa 1980's)...

No, for any serious muso, it has to be the Korgs really....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa3X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: