Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how KORG make algorithm, maybe i have a small idea

View previous topic :: View next topic  
freestok

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: how KORG make algorithm, maybe i have a small idea Reply with quote

Remember,
when i disassemble my WD, under the PCB electronic board i found the DSP chip

is a analog devices chip:
ADSP 21375

all the algorithm is here, inside this chip

and i find on the web the movie about a guy made his DIY DSP processor for guitarist instrument by himself with the old DSP:
ADSP 2105 "by analog devices too"

it's same familly of our wavedrum DSP chip

watch the guy make with it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3wx_jDkcAY

i find Korg use VISUALDSP++ for programming and create the algorithm and compiling it to transmit all that inside the DSP,
analog devices create a VISUALDSP++ software especialy for simulate and developpement for all they ADSP 2xxxx familly.

now i show you how Korg certainly tramsmit the algorithm into the DSP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkBHGB7ibXA

the engeneer explain the DSP familly can make and developpement for many application use audio, this video prouve Korg can make a interface with the USB connector Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder at what cost! Maybe it was just cost prohibitive for a second gen wavedrum, I am takign into account the first WD and it's extremely high cost. I found this WD to be almost out of the question for me. Had it been a couple hundred more I wouldn't have bought one. Now that I have one it is easy to say, yea giv eme USB and some other functions but before I knew what I know now about it it wouldn't have mattered.
freestok

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does you mean Bertotti ?
why you think with the all features it would cost expansive ?
because the first generation of wavedrum sell on 2700 € ?!...is it ?

the first wavedrum cost heaviest because in 1994 all the DSP start , and all technologies starting cost veri hight price like all new advanced industries, but the time have changing all that way, the new DSP in 2011 cost very low price, the old WD is build with many circuit electronic and many CHIP inside, the new WD have only one mainboard with one CHIP

the ADSP 21375 cost only arround 13 $ if you order by 5000 unit package !

and when you see, a movie make by hollywood just release, on a few week later only you have a game software about this movie in your smartphone an computer, playstation, xbox etc...very quickly, i know it because many societies building a game don't have a prevent by hollywood about they release date of movie, ...personaly i know many friend works in a game industrie and many time does happen like that without preview or prevent,

in a smal time the success of the game on a phone change the market, now the game must build in very short time, is the law of worldwide market.

Korg can make quickly a software interface for WD like a quick and speed creating game, it's most minor complicate to release a simply interface in a fisrt step...and increase the fonctionality later by update.

already exist on a mainboard in WD, the connector for programming the DSP it's just hidden, soldering some "pico" to make a contact, connect with your computer....lacks only the software interface !!

why KORG lock this ?....for sell ?, certainly right
for what....sell a new unit each years with some minor features add in ?....again and again ?, it's crazy way

no, i do not agree with it

should we sell libraries of sounds
should we sell libraries of algorithms
should we sell libraries of setting user preset etc...

KORG have many way for make better money without frusted the user of they instrument

the algorithms technologie create by the university...

Take the example of "2BOX" electronic drum with a small price,
all open, the brain drum can buy separately, 4 GO of memories, if you disassembled it you can change the SD-card inside by up to 32 GO memories, load all your sample with a nicely software interface on computer, you can setting 127 layer of sample by PAD, you can make all as you want with this unit, and now 2BOX have a difficulties to follow the order, so it sells.

the time is change, and KORG must change policy...especially when everything is already present inside the Wavedrum for make all open features without increase exaggerated the price...for 100 or 150 $ add only all that is possible.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not knowing the costs I was just tossing out a possibility of why not. I fix industrial electronics and used to work on fighter aircraft. I don't follow chip production of costs. I haven't dissected the WD to see what's going on inside. I was just using the example the first wave drum wasn't a high volume item. I imagine Korg wanted to sell more of this generation of WD, so I was just pointing out that since this was my first drum, other then some bongos, that had the price been just a couple hundred dollars more I would not have bought it. I was a new market for them. All these little additions would have increased cost and that would have been passed on to the retail sale. Only Korg knows how much and if the additional sales at a slightly lower price point was worth it. I do expect to see these additions in a new model WD and now that I am familiar with this silver WD I would be more likely to buy one only because I am hooked now and see he possibilities. A lot of you guys here know amply about this already but hom many WD's this time around went to someone like me? I would be willing to bet quite a few but you probably won't see them here. Just saying. Not arguing just showing a different point of view, I hope.

Anway you've done some great work on the WD and I thank you for sharing!
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anway you've done some great work on the WD and I thank you for sharing!

Amen, this is very promising. Fine work, indeed......freestok !
freestok

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are welcome berlotti and jazlover
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: