Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

daisy chaining Wavedrums?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyTheSaint

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: daisy chaining Wavedrums? Reply with quote

If I take the headphone out of one Wavedrum and input that into a second Wavedrum's external input, does that sound OK? I tried inputting a Roland RMP-5 practice pad into my Wavedrum and got all kinds of noise.
freestok

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never put the output of headphone into the IN-LINE of the other audio system, always you have a bad sound, it's normal

i don't have a second wavedrum unit for testing that, but i have a "DTX MULTI 12" of yamaha, and the DTX have the input AUX with adjustable sensitivity build in

i try to connect the headphone output of wavedrum into the AUX IN of my DTX and i have some noise too, for reduce that, you can increase the output of wavedrum on maximum volume and increase the sensivity input of my DTX until the threshold of the sound come distort and the noise problem reduce significantly, but still ever

the wavedrum have a feature for ajusting the sensivity of his INPUT AUX, just look about this in the manual.

then, i decide to use the main output of wavedrum (left and right jack mono 6,35) and put that into the AUX IN of my DTX (AUX IN of DTX is mini-jack stereo like a input of wavedrum) and the sound it's great and ok !

i reverse this think,
the main output of DTX (left and right jack mono 6,35) and put that into the AUX IN of my wavedrum (mini-jack stereo) and the sound it's great and ok too !

all that with a Y cable, two mono jack male 6,35 => one mini-jack male stereo and all the noise problem disapear.

i am shure by this way you can fix that, with the Y cable.

i don't know about the RMP-5, but i think this unit have too a main out with jack left and right separatly, you must use this OUTPUT and put in this into the wavedrum, try it.

a last think, the quality of cable is important too...

best regards.
JimmyTheSaint

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I don't really need to use the RMP-5--it was just a test. But I'm thinking of buying a second Wavedrum, and I need to be able to play at home through earphones, and I'd rather not buy a mixer. Using a Y-cable to send the two mono OUTs into the second Wavedrum's stereo mini IN is fine with me if the sound is passable. Otherwise, I don't want to waste my money on a second Wavedrum
Slabwax

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be missing something here but here I go.

I ran a 1/4" output from WD#1 into the input of WD#2 and into my mixer out to my amp works great. I set the internal mixer at 100% on the WD#2. I've not tried headphone so maybe I'd only get sound out of 1 channel. I hope this helps
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyTheSaint wrote:
Using a Y-cable to send the two mono OUTs into the second Wavedrum's stereo mini IN is fine with me if the sound is passable.

Yup, that's exactly what that AUX IN is designed for (or you can plug an iPod, etc into the AUX IN). But for anyone trying this, be sure to go into GLOBAL Mode and raise the AUX IN level (and you can save this setting), because the Factory Default setting is "0."

The Owner's Manual also recommends to raise the AUX IN level only when it's actually being used. Not sure what problems may arise but that's the suggestion.

Slabwax wrote:
I ran a 1/4" output from WD#1 into the input of WD#2 and into my mixer out to my amp works great. I set the internal mixer at 100% on the WD#2. I've not tried headphone so maybe I'd only get sound out of 1 channel.
It might depend on the type cable that you use. If you use only one side of a stereo cable, then you will only hear one side of WD#1 in the headphones but both sides of WD#2.

Using a Stereo Y-Cable (L/R mono to Stereo Mini) to connect one Wavedrum to another is the best way to go.
Slabwax

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wavedrummer,

I'll get a y cable and I'll check it out. So far it seems to do what I need but always willing to check something new.

Slabwax
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to weigh-in on this topic again. I'm finding that I'm not too fond of the AUX IN after all.

I've used it a number of times in demo situations, and a couple of times live when inputs to the main mixer were limited, but it's not something I usually do on my own. I've been playing around a lot with two Wavedrums and have been programming some sounds designed for the pair, and I decided to daisy chain them. I've been running the L/R output of my Oriental into the AUX IN of my Silver Wavedrum.

I'm not thrilled with the results. Sad

This is the first time that I've really been in an environment where I can closely hear what's going on. It sounds like the Oriental is getting slighted compressed as it passes through the Silver. I'm losing some presence and "openness" compared with Silver.

Another drawback is that the AUX IN does not offer a true "through" signal path. If I'm playing on the Oriental and I scroll through the programs on the Silver, the audio level on the Oriental cuts out until a program is selected on the Silver! The same way it would do if I was playing on the Silver itself.

That is really unfortunate because it would nice to be able to play either one while changing sounds on the other without having to be concerned with the signal path. Of course I can change sounds on the Oriental without that affecting the Silver, but not the other way around. Remember, I'm feeding the Oriental in to the Silver.

One more lessoned learned: When running multiple Wavedrums, always use separate outputs when possible!
martygras

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaveDrummer wrote:

Another drawback is that the AUX IN does not offer a true "through" signal path. If I'm playing on the Oriental and I scroll through the programs on the Silver, the audio level on the Oriental cuts out until a program is selected on the Silver! The same way it would do if I was playing on the Silver itself.

That is really unfortunate because it would nice to be able to play either one while changing sounds on the other without having to be concerned with the signal path. Of course I can change sounds on the Oriental without that affecting the Silver, but not the other way around. Remember, I'm feeding the Oriental in to the Silver.

One more lessoned learned: When running multiple Wavedrums, always use separate outputs when possible!

Wow, that's a big problem. I was going to play ambient background sounds through the aux in.
That's a deal breaker for that idea.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who liek to mod it shouldn't be to hard to put a through signal jack in. Anyone have a schematic for it yet?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: