Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M3 problem with sounds - please help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
m3styles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: M3 problem with sounds - please help Reply with quote

Hi, it seems I have bad luck with my M3.

After playing the sounds in program mode I found out that after few minutes the sounds suddenly stops. Actually only one layer (sample) of the sound stops, which is for some sounds not immediately apparent. It is most notable at some pianos and with some Radias sounds. Most of the time sound stops at the moment when I play a bit harder, but not always. I was trying to figure it out and it looks that the most of the time first sample gets muted.

I tried to update the software again, loaded factory settings, changed aftertouch settings with no luck.

Any ideas? Is my m3 faulty? Thanks!

Last edited by m3styles on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Muji

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I would have said that the sample for that one velocity layer was inadvertently erased, but if you've updated software and reloaded factory settings, that doesn't seem to be correct. Are the missing sounds belonging to one of the EXB-PCM sets? Perhaps you need to redownload those to your USB stick? (Or resave them to the internal SD card if that is where they are being accessed.)

If you figure out which sample is screwing up, you could try using that sample in a different program (maybe one with a single velocity layer) and see if you can get it to work there.

Korg Microkorg
StudioLogic VMK-176+ Keyboard Controller
Ketron SD2 Sound Module
Alesis SR-16
m3styles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, actually the sound plays from the beginning for some time (seconds, sometimes more) and then a part of it stops suddenly, so I think it is not erased. Also, it is the same with Exb Radias sounds. Most of the time it stops after playing harder.

After checking further I found that maybe there is an issue with low-pass filter - if I disable it (thru) then the sound is on again, but sounding a bit different of course.

Any help is highly appreciated.
Muji

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't sound good, but...

when you say that it plays when you hit lightly, but not when you hit harder, does it start up again fine when you hit lightly again? In other words, is the problem with only the notes that you hit relatively hard? That would suggest that certain velocity layers are set up strangely.

If the problem is not repeatable with any kind of understandable regularity, I'd say that you have some electrical/mechanical issue. Can you try sending notes to the M3 module from another midi keyboard? Same issue?

Korg Microkorg
Ketron SD2 Sound Module
Alesis SR-16
m3styles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the sound stops it doesn't come again if I play quietly. I need to select another program and then back.

Ok, I tried to connect it to my midi keyboard and surprisingly it seems to play well, no stops. Could the issue be in aftertouch? Hardware fault?
Muji

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like your keybed is mechanically messed up (or maybe bad/loose electrical connection inside it). A while back Big Grime got some coins dropped into his keybed by a young visitor, so he had to open it up and retrieve them. You might try doing the same, just to see what you can see. Maybe just cleaning it out could help.

Here is the discussion...

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=62412

This assumes you have no warranty repair possibility.

Korg Microkorg
Ketron SD2 Sound Module
Alesis SR-16
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a loose contact on the expression pedal input? That problem plagued the older Triton series sometimes. Could be that it jiggles ever so slightly and sends a "0" signal. You could see if it helps to set a different parameter to control for the control pedal in the global menu.
m3styles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: i was playing more and it also happens with midi keyboard but much less frequently. In addition I found out that it also happens while playing the pads. I have no pedals attached.

So far the only thing I found to bring a sound back is disabling low pass filter, if this means anything.

I guess it will have to go to service center tomorrow.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vibrations affecting the sliders? That's a common problem with some devices.

Make sure they are all set full-on. Particularly the cutoff control. Or change the control mode. I'm not that familiar with that part of the M3, but hopefully you get the idea?
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
m3styles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I suspect the issue might be in the ribbon controller which is set to control the filter. It doesn't work properly. Is there a way to calibrate it or disable it globally?
Bobcat22

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is years later but, I am finding the same problem and it seems to be the ribbon controller. I will first replace the 9 pin DIN cable as it has a intermittent connection at on end. Will post results.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: