Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pseudo-Moog Taurus bass pedals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Pseudo-Moog Taurus bass pedals Reply with quote

I'm a guitar player and have never played keys. However once upon a time a band member lent me his Moog Taurus I bass pedals which I loved to play. Those 25+ year old pedals are long gone but I would like to play something like them again. I see the new Moog Taurus III is well out of my price range at $2000.

I found a similar type piece of equipment Roland PK-5A dynamic foot pedal and MIDI controller. I know that this is just a controller and won't make any sound on its own but my question is, what can I plug this into to make the sounds I want?

There are lots of used sound modules on the market that can be had for a couple of hundred dollars. If I pick up one of these is there something that I need to pay special attention to to make sure that it will work with a dynamic foot pedal and allow me to play some great bass sounds?
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Pseudo-Moog Taurus bass pedals Reply with quote

Essentially any MIDI capable synth.

Look into a MicroKorg, Moog Slim/Little Phatty, DSI Mopho, etc.

The Slim Phatty may be your best bet for getting the Moog sound at a cheaper price. I think it has slightly less synth parameters than an actual Taurus, but I may be wrong.
ctc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Pseudo-Moog Taurus bass pedals Reply with quote

tpantano wrote:

Ok. But with my limited knowledge of midi, don't the keys and other switches on the midi controller need to be mapped to the synth?

Thx.
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Pseudo-Moog Taurus bass pedals Reply with quote

ctc wrote:
tpantano wrote:

Ok. But with my limited knowledge of midi, don't the keys and other switches on the midi controller need to be mapped to the synth?

Thx.

I'm fairly certain that the pedal just transfers regular old MIDI notes, which require no special mapping for a synth to understand them.
ctc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Bass Pedal Midi Controller Reply with quote

I am unable to find a used Roland PK-5A. Can you recommend a similar bass pedal midi controller?

Thx.
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search "Midi Bass Pedals" on ebay.
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctc,
Not sure where you are located, but Ebay USA has a PK5 listed. There are also two persons selling one octave organ pedals converted to MIDI, and there's a Basyn kit to convert your own pedals to MIDI. Just search for "midi bass pedals" on Ebay.
- phattbuzz
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
ctc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I saw those and am considering my options. I'll also need a sound module. Thx.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about doing this with my microKorg when I get it.

I have some old organ pedals at home and on my old MK I had a really good taurus bass sound..
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
ctc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Pseudo-Moog Taurus bass pedals Reply with quote

tpantano wrote:
Look into a MicroKorg, Moog Slim/Little Phatty, DSI Mopho, etc.

Thx. At the risk of sounding cheap, those are too expensive for this out of work musician. What about all of those $100 - $200 sound modules that I see on craigslist like E-mu Proteus 1000 & 2000, E-mu orbit V2, Roland MT-32, Korg M3R, 360 systems MidiBass dektop sound module, etc.? Can they produce a great big bass tone that you'd be proud of or are these cheap for a good reason?
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of those old units can work very well for what you're doing. Check for You-Tube videos on any machine you plan on buying.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of them are good - just not for what you're after.

That great Taurus bass sound is legendary and most digital (especially sample-based) synths just can't do it justice.

I've got close on my microKorg I just received.. you have to crank up the volume and have a subwoofer to really appreciate it though.
You might get a 2nd hand microKorg within your budget.

I can't vouch for the quality but out of your selection there, the Orbit might be the closest. I say that mainly because it is designed purely for electronic sounds (although aimed mainly at the 'techno' category).

You should really look up what is available (for example use google), listen to sound examples. the MIDIBass for example sounds like an interesting product but is rather limited to emulative bass 'guitar' sounds. The fact that there isn't much on the internet about it also says a lot.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
ctc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phattbuzz wrote:
ctc,
...and there's a Basyn kit to convert your own pedals to MIDI.

yes, that kit looks interesting. The info on the website states that it can work with any 13 trigger device, which I think means any momentary switch - which by definition are not velocity sensitive. Since I'm not an experienced player, I need to ask you, how important do you think it is for bass pedals to be velocity sensitive?
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctc wrote:
phattbuzz wrote:
ctc,
...and there's a Basyn kit to convert your own pedals to MIDI.

yes, that kit looks interesting. The info on the website states that it can work with any 13 trigger device, which I think means any momentary switch - which by definition are not velocity sensitive. Since I'm not an experienced player, I need to ask you, how important do you think it is for bass pedals to be velocity sensitive?

There's a video on YouTube with someone that was having trouble installing the Basyn kit. If you don't have the patience and electronic know-how, I would probably recommend against it.

I've been playing organ for years and I know how to play the pedals quite well. Never had an organ with velocity sensitive pedals. I highly doubt that the Taurus was velocity sensitive.
I think it would take some time to get use to playing pedals with a "Different Touch" and really don't know how rewarding/frustrating it would be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: