Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need ideas for new equipment!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Need ideas for new equipment! Reply with quote

I may soon have the ability to purchase new equipment, but I'm unsure of what to purchase exactly.

The two areas I feel lacking in at the moment are percussive samples (namely, a variety of powerful club kicks), and non-standard synthesis options.

For the second, I'm considering either Massive or Razor, but those considerations are very tentative.

As for drums, I have no idea. I feel a drum machine would be inconvenient to work into my setup, so I'd prefer software; I simply don't know what's out there for those lovely club/house style samples.

Suggestions for both areas- or just suggestions in general- are greatly welcomed!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard nothing but rave reviews about NI Maschine and I'm pretty sure it comes with a lot of (electronic) drum samples.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BFD (Big F'in' Drums) is another option as far as a sample library for drums.

As SanderX pointed out Native Instrument Maschine is one of the benchmarks for the whole drum groove construction genres, but it'll come with a learning curve and most likely take a while to integrate.

You might want to look at sample libraries that you can integrate into your current set-up - you've posted about kick drum quality before. Big Fish or East West might have something suitable.

------------

Feed your head....

On a different tack, you might try dropping $100 or so on a subscription to music technology mag out of the UK. It's not cheap, but they have two things going for them.

One, they have an enclosed CD ROM/DVD with every issue, these include video tutorials, lite or demo versions of new software, and samples (lots of samples!). Hey, the "free" discs might be enough to solve your problem.

And two, they have a LOT of "how to" session / in-studio interview / "masterclass" articles that take you step by step through someone else's creative process at each step in production from songwriting and arranging, through mastering. Their approaches may not be yours, but they're ones that have been used successfully by real musicians working NOW. Even if I could care less about the latest Manchester Dub-Step Reggae-Tronic hybrid I can probably still get something of value from descriptions of the work process. You too?

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Aciphecs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get good studio monitors yet? I remember in a previous post you mentioned you didn't have proper monitors for mixing/mastering. I would get those first!

BP Facebook Page

BP Youtube Channel
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aciphecs wrote:
Did you get good studio monitors yet? I remember in a previous post you mentioned you didn't have proper monitors for mixing/mastering. I would get those first!

The thing is, my desk really doesn't have room for giant monitors...

I do have a a decent Audio-Technica headset for the moment, which is what I use the most.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent monitors need not be gigantic - typically they (studio monitors) are 5 to 8 inch woofers and a tweeter with maybe a cubic foot of footprint - not massive by any stretch. A sub (if you feel you need one) is omni directional and could be anywhere in the room.

Hmmm, maybe we need to add Mix magazine to that subscription recommendation.

BB

+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS to that,

You can get them off the desk with stands left and right or by wall mounting 'em.

BB

boxlightner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpantano,

Not too sure where your based but you should try www.studiospares.com or phone 0844 375 5000! I just got there FREE catalogue that you can apply for online, they supply EVERYTHING you would ever need and not only that they have got over 1000 price reductions!!!!

Check it out and let me know

Hope that helps

boxlightner Very Happy
EZ-EG Synth Guitar (This is Mindblowingly Epic when hooked to the MK!)
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maschine is great. You won't go wrong there. It goes way beyond being a tool just for rhythms. They recently announced the mini version too.

I have Razor but haven't explored it fully yet.

Do you have Omnisphere already? I also like their Stylus RMX for grooves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: