Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When did the upgrade bug hit you?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: When did the upgrade bug hit you? Reply with quote

Me and my other (only IRL) buddy were talking other day about the moment we realized "it's time to upgrade...." So im curious to see how some of you found your upgrade path. What pulled the trigger for you (even if you know it now but still havent upgraded...)

for me, I had a triton classic prox and a korg karma. Both of which had i guess slower systems. the day i realized it was time to sell and upgrade was when i went to a guitar center and played a triton studio which has a faster system... When i clicked on something the screen didnt take 2 seconds to come up! I then got a triton extreme... then kronos came out and bam.. I dont think that needs further explanation...

Please feel free to share!

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the speed of the system in the Karma was never an issue for me. It has something like four or five times the cpu power of the original Triton btw, just to power Karma. I upgraded to my current Extreme for the sampling and the touch screen interface. Still miss the extra assignable knobs from the Karma sometimes (as I hardly ever used them for Karma itself).

Kronos is coming now because I've always wanted a machine with a good VA, sampling, good bread and butter sounds AND a good organ engine.
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Actually the speed of the system in the Karma was never an issue for me. It has something like four or five times the cpu power of the original Triton btw, just to power Karma. I upgraded to my current Extreme for the sampling and the touch screen interface. Still miss the extra assignable knobs from the Karma sometimes (as I hardly ever used them for Karma itself).

The karmas CPU was good unless you were sequencing. it could lag with even the smallest projects. Other then that it was great.

I do agree about the knobs though. I dug the fact that it was above the joystick instead of in the main control surface like the triton. I never really used karma, i did use it for the patch remain trick though. The knobs were nice. i used them for a bunch of stuff. The other one thing i missed was having the ability to assign a CC to each. i couldnt do that with my extreme

I got my use out of my karma then my triton... I wanted to do sampling but having that monster without SCSi was useless, thats why i sold both and got an extreme, which worked awesome. Even though my kronos blows them both out of the water...

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, when did the upgrade bug hit me? When I went from piano to a Hohner Pianet N, about 1964.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an old-schooler like Giner -- I started out with a Rhodes, then added Clav and a Yamaha combo organ, and for a while ('78 or so) that was enough.

As soon as you hear or are attracted to a sound that you really want, that's when the "upgrade bug" hits. Especially if your current gear isn't up to the task. For me that came when "synth" sounds as opposed to the amplified/natural tones of the Rhodes/Wurli/Clav became THE standard in pop songs. And still no real piano tones.

For a good long while I've been using "adequate" gear... OK, some of it has been very adequate, but still theres a lag behind that cutting edge - especially for live music. And the standards to which you hold yourself keep rising.

How many posts have we seen here from guys who want the exact sound of some tune down to the compression ratio used and reverb settings of outboard gear? That is, yes, obsessive/compulsive behavior with its best face on, but we all have a bit of that in our emotional baggage. And that's what drives the fever to upgrade our gear.

I could wish for a do-over starting now, with technology that more easily fulfills my musical ambitions.... hey, look Kronos II Extreme Pro (Expanded)!

Nahhh.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just before the Kronos and the Jupiter 80 were announced. Smile
sani

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question!
The upgrade bug hit me since I owned my first Korg workstation, the mighty T3. What a terrific keyboard it was!
Back in that time I was young and i believed that every new model on the market means better sounds. That really wasn't the case at all. However, I had almost every workstation from the T3 up to the M3 (including). I skipped only the 01/w and the trinity.
I'm currently using a Fantom G and for the first time the upgrade bug did not hit me at all.
For some simple reasons:
I'm satisfied with my current instrument. It does what it has to do. I invested a lot of time to make it sounding in the way I like it. I invested an enormous amount of time in creating the needed live setups I use on my gigs. I don't have the nerves anymore to do it know over again just because of some upgrade bug. I'm married. A new toy for me means new toys for her: shoes, bags and so on...
Generally, I'm trying to skip at least one generation, not only on keyboards but on some other devices as well. In that way, when I buy something new, the upgrade appears as a bigger one and it is easier for my to justify the new investment.
Jon Lord

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

December 2010/early January 2011, got bad G.A.S on DSI evolver and some other stuff that I almost bought, but thank god I did not since few weeks later the kronos was announced. ...Well I happened to buy a Virus C anyways but I sold it few weeks later. Also accidently Rolling Eyes bought a 88 Midi controller during those times also, which hopefully will be useful paired with a 61 Kronos later on.
So all in all I think i made the right decision to wait few weeks back in late December.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: