Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A fix for sticky keys and clunky B's and C's
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maphill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: A fix for sticky keys and clunky B's and C's Reply with quote

I think I remember someone saying that some of their keys sounded (acoustically) different that others. I had most of the B's, C's and some D's that had a slightly different clunk than others.

What was worse was a couple B's were harder to depress. They were sticking.

I found the problem was insufficient space between the front of the white keys and the front portion of the body. A couple keys were actually coming into contact and sticking.

The solution? With the keyboard on the stand, I loosened the large-headed bolts and then inserted the cardboard inserts that came with the unit. With these bolts loose, the keybed was able to slightly move back as I inserted the spacers. I re-tightened the bolts, removed the inserts, and enjoyed an even, non-sticking feel once again.

I could imagine that the keybed could possibly shift slightly during shipment, especially if the spacers weren't in place and the keyboard was "front down". I can see why Korg recommends using the spacers during shipment as a just in case.

For those of you brave enough to open your unit, I'd recommend the spacers are in place during the operation to ensure proper alignment during re-assembly.

Hope this helps someone.

Mark

P.S. PLEASE! Do NOT clutter this thread with posts about opinions, speculations, and complaints, there are plenty of other threads already covering that. Information and relevant questions only. Thanks.
panrixx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be getting delivery of my K88 on Tuesday, so are the large-headed bolts you refer to obvious?
maphill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrixx wrote:
Should be getting delivery of my K88 on Tuesday, so are the large-headed bolts you refer to obvious?

Yes, there are only 2 bolt sizes: Some very flat-ish ones and then some larger ones that stick out noticeably more. Both are #2 phillips I believe.

Mark
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my 88 yesterday. The keys on this board are strange to say the least. Grab any one of the black keys and pull it forward it bangs against the white keys and then springs back. You can also do the same with the white keys...just press on a white key and pull forward down to the casing, you will hear a bang each time your pull it down and hit the casing. It then springs back...Whats this bull crap about????

Who created this keybed...??

This does not happen on my Oasys88, JP80 or Vsynth.
Why isnt the chasis metal or hard plastic, its that cheap wood mds or whatever its called, rub you hand under the board it feels as though bits of chip wood are going to fall off. I have mine sitting a top of my oasys.
Good luck to all you dudes taking it on the road with you.

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth1 wrote:
I got my 88 yesterday. The keys on this board are strange to say the least. Grab any one of the black keys and pull it forward it bangs against the white keys and then springs back. You can also do the same with the white keys...just press on a white key and pull forward down to the casing, you will hear a bang each time your pull it down and hit the casing. It then springs back...Whats this bull crap about????

Who created this keybed...??

This does not happen on my Oasys88, JP80 or Vsynth.
Why isnt the chasis metal or hard plastic, its that cheap wood mds or whatever its called, rub you hand under the board it feels as though bits of chip wood are going to fall off. I have mine sitting a top of my oasys.

Billy

SAD Sad .....I believe the wood is called "pressed board" or composition. It is the cheapest grade of wood below plywood. They use it mainly on flooring and in places that usually get covered up by another material. It is actually wood chips and sawdust that is glued and then pressed together into a sheet of wood. Dont get it wet either......
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:

SAD Sad .....I believe the wood is called "pressed board" or composition. It is the cheapest grade of wood below plywood. They use it mainly on flooring and in places that usually get covered up by another material. It is actually wood chips and sawdust that is glued and then pressed together into a sheet of wood. Dont get it wet either......

Are you for real? I don't think I've owned an weighted 88 key keyboard in the last 10+ years that hasn't used this same composite wood. No one uses plywood and no one attaches it to metal (the only exception MIGHT be Nord). But check out Yamaha and Roland and you'll see. I've got a Roland RD300GX with the side panel off and it's clearly composite wood. The underside is covered with plastic. This wood is less likely to warp than plywood or solid wood.

I have a Yamaha Avant Grand N3 and the entire case is composite wood.

Busch.
sani

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth1 wrote:

The last time I played a piano, the keys certainly had space and could be slightly moved. I was even able to raise the keys up to a certain extent. It could be that your playing style is radically different to mine, but I usually don't pull the keys back and forward. I just play them by pressing them down. And BTW, you probably know that comparing the Kronos88 keys with the ones on the JP80/V-Synth doesn't make any sense for a couple of reasons!

billysynth1 wrote:

That's very often used on those big 88key versions. You'll find the same under a Fantom or Motif.

billysynth1 wrote:

Thank you. There are actually quite a lot of people touring day in day out with their Kronos or a keyboard with the same RH3 keybed or with a keyboard with the same cheap wood mds. No problem so far. I don't pull on things which are intended to be pressed and I don't bother myself with some conceptual concerns if there is nothing to worry about. It's an instrument and you have to take some care about it. Drums are made of wood and/or wood based components, guitars, amp boxes, and nobody complains. There is no reason to be paranoid about everything.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal isn't actually a popular material for larger and more delicate systems because it expands and contracts more than wood does.

It's called MDF by the way - medium density fibreboard. Basically as said elsewhere here, fine wood dust and chippings reconstituted into a solid material using glue. Not that different to the material used for some hamburgers in certain fast food chains... Rolling Eyes

I think others have got the point quite well here - instruments do have to be taken care of. I don't let anyone else move my equipment unless I really know they will take care of it.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
panrixx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Yamaha MM8 has the same composite base and there have never been any problems. It's a base and for this component of the keyboard it serves it's purpose well.
maphill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: A fix for sticky keys and clunky B's and C's Reply with quote

maphill wrote:

P.S. PLEASE! Do NOT clutter this thread with posts about opinions, speculations, and complaints, there are plenty of other threads already covering that. Information and relevant questions only. Thanks.

A reminder: Post questions or relevant information. No complaining in this thread. Or challenging others approaches. This has a very straightforward thread title, let's stick to it.

Thanks,
Mark
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I can confirm that maphill's solution worked for my Kronos 88, RH3 keybed from Japan.

I had clicking notes on C3-C4 and C5-C6 and by removing those large-headed bolts I was able to eliminate the clicking noises.

I repeated the procedure several times, because when I adjusted some keys, then other (C6-C7) began to make the clicking noise.

My last shot was to put all my bank statements in front of all the keys, then put again those bolts and removing those bank statements. After all, I've found a proper use to those bank acounts LOL Laughing
PinkFloydDudi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth1 wrote:
Billy

WTF?

I heard if you hit the key with a hammer it will act strangely too.

Seriously though - what are you pulling on keys for? If you pull hard enough, you can destroy any keyboard!

if I lift up on any 61-key individual key, it will snap. I blame the manufacturer?

I definitely think the OP had a great solution to what seems to be a problem experienced by a few. Seems like the metal will simply come loose at times - maybe due to the screws not being tightened enough?

Hopefully it helps most of you - but I doubt any solution will solve toddler-like behavior some folks are putting their keybeds through!!!

I don't have any clicking. I'm curious if those of you that are experience it more in the middle of the keyboard or towards the ends? I would think the metal bending woudl cause it to happen more towards the middle of the keys?

Just curious if that may be the case
madbeatzyo111

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My (high end) Roland DP also uses MDF for the bottom panel. It bothers me and I wish they had used a different material, but I assume it's needed for its light weight and acoustic properties--maybe to damp out the hammer action noise, etc. You'll find MDF in most speaker/monitor housing too.

The keys are rock solid and don't move in any way other than up and down. However, they do also make a loud clunking sound--in fact I'm pretty sure PHAIII is one of the loudest hammer actions, probably louder than RH3 and certainly more than GHA.
rockstar898

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: THANK YOU MARK! Reply with quote

Mark - I'm on my 3rd Kronos. My first one had the dreaded double hammer problem so bad it was unplayable, so Guitar Center paid to ship it back and sent me a replacement, which also had the problem, although not as bad.

At that point, GC put me in contact with Korg, who directly sent me a new Kronos last week, straight off of the boat from Japan. It came with the new keybed (I could tell a dramatic difference in feel and playability from the first two), and it had the 1.5.2 OS already installed. With the double hammer issue resolved, I now had this very annoying and loud clonky click on 4 keys: the B below middle C, and G/A/B two octaves higher.

I REALLY didn't want to have to go through another technical support call or possible replacement, and your 5 minute fix completely solved the problem. Now, finally, my Kronos sounds AND plays like a million bucks.

Thanks dude!
J

Gear: Korg KRONOS 88, Korg Trinity 61, Roland V-Synth GT 2, Korg nanoKey2, Presonus FireStudio Project, Novation ZeRO MKII Control Surface
Software: Korg Legacy Digital Collection, M-Tron Pro Virtual Mellotron, Komplete 8, 8dio.com's Requiem & Liberis AllChoir Bundle, 8dio Adagio Violins, Melodyne Studio 3
DAW: Logic 9.1.8 on OS X Lion 10.8.2
maphill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: THANK YOU MARK! Reply with quote

rockstar898 wrote:

I REALLY didn't want to have to go through another technical support call or possible replacement, and your 5 minute fix completely solved the problem. Now, finally, my Kronos sounds AND plays like a million bucks.

Thanks dude!
J

You're welcome! Thanks for the feedback.

My unit is currently at the shop getting the new keybed... I'm looking forward to it. But anyway, I took along my spacers and let the tech know to use them when tightening the new keybed into place.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: