Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A fix for sticky keys and clunky B's and C's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pranaearth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange.
My Kronos 88 did not have the cardboard spacers when I pulled the unit out of the box.
All of my white keys are sitting right at the front of the bevel. Near the back of the keys, there is a good strip of felt showing.
Is this normal?
How do I get the cardboard spacers?
They were never in the box.
Here are two pics of my 88:

maphill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't know why yours doesn't have the spacers. But, as long as your key action is good, you're good to go!

Mark
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pranaearth wrote:
Strange.
My Kronos 88 did not have the cardboard spacers when I pulled the unit out of the box.
All of my white keys are sitting right at the front of the bevel. Near the back of the keys, there is a good strip of felt showing.
Is this normal?
How do I get the cardboard spacers?
They were never in the box.
Here are two pics of my 88:

whoa, that 2nd photo is a surprise. I can't believe the keys are level with the bevel ( ? ) or front metal strip.

Your 88 keys should be 1" higher or above the front metal strip
cwall1108

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Spaced spacers... Reply with quote

Hey all... I have a sticky G below middle C, and I slipped a paper in front between the keys and ran it down the length of the keybed top to low and in reverse. Both times the paper stuck at that dreaded G.

I'd love to try the spacer fix by I didn't have any with my Kronos 88. Any recommendations?

Also I'm trying to be super sure on the procedure. I don't see two bolts that stick out more unless you count the rubber feet. The nearest I can see are three screws towards the front ahead of some smaller ones. I think the OP had a 76 so maybe that's the difference?

Thanks in advance
maphill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Spaced spacers... Reply with quote

cwall1108 wrote:
Hey all... I have a sticky G below middle C, and I slipped a paper in front between the keys and ran it down the length of the keybed top to low and in reverse. Both times the paper stuck at that dreaded G.

I'd love to try the spacer fix by I didn't have any with my Kronos 88. Any recommendations?

Also I'm trying to be super sure on the procedure. I don't see two bolts that stick out more unless you count the rubber feet. The nearest I can see are three screws towards the front ahead of some smaller ones. I think the OP had a 76 so maybe that's the difference?

Thanks in advance

I don't think there is a difference. Loosen the large bolts on the bottom, scoot the keybed backward just a smidge, and then retighten. There's nothing magical about the spacer: It's just thick paper (or skinny cardboard). You could use a couple pieces of construction paper for example.

Good luck,
Mark
Chrutil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Spaced spacers... Reply with quote

maphill wrote:
Loosen the large bolts on the bottom, scoot the keybed backward just a smidge, and then retighten.

I have this same problem after getting my K back from repair, and I tried loosening all the bottom large bolts, but my keybed was still rock solid and didn't move when I tried sliding (pushing pretty hard) the spacers in.
Should I have the K upside down, or right side up on a stand when I do this? I did it the right side up on my stand - I didn't dare unscrew anything when it is upside down - and I also didn't dare removing the bolts - just unscrew them a good bit but they're still in.
Thanks,
C
Korg Kronos 88 #444 /3GB, MU modular synth, PPG Wave 2.3, Modal Electronics 002, TTSH, Oberheim Two Voice Pro, Deckard's Dream, Kijimi, MatrixBrute, Access Virus KC, Ensoniq EPS, Korg Microsampler, Behringer Model D, Behringer Pro~1, Roland JP-08, Roland VP-03, Roland JD-08, Roland TR-8, Akai MPC-X, Roland TD-12 V-Drums, Fender Precision Bass, Martin Custom D Guitar, Sterling JP-60 Guitar, PRS Santana SE Guitar (signed), Logic Pro X, Pulsar P900 Series, Arturia V Collection 6 as well as various iPad & soft synths.
Download the Korg Kronos AL-1/Polysix Graphical Editor
maphill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to do it right side up.

Hope that helps,
Mark
Chrutil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Spaced spacers... Reply with quote

Chrutil wrote:
I have this same problem after getting my K back from repair, and I tried loosening all the bottom large bolts, but my keybed was still rock solid and didn't move when I tried sliding (pushing pretty hard) the spacers in.

I have to claim dumb user error on this one.
I had only loosened the large-head-screws on the bottom along the center line and not the ones towards the front. Once I also loosened the screws on the bottom front side the keybed slid back leaving enough room for the keys to go up and down without touching the front bar. This forum is such a great resource!

Thanks all,
C
Korg Kronos 88 #444 /3GB, MU modular synth, PPG Wave 2.3, Modal Electronics 002, TTSH, Oberheim Two Voice Pro, Deckard's Dream, Kijimi, MatrixBrute, Access Virus KC, Ensoniq EPS, Korg Microsampler, Behringer Model D, Behringer Pro~1, Roland JP-08, Roland VP-03, Roland JD-08, Roland TR-8, Akai MPC-X, Roland TD-12 V-Drums, Fender Precision Bass, Martin Custom D Guitar, Sterling JP-60 Guitar, PRS Santana SE Guitar (signed), Logic Pro X, Pulsar P900 Series, Arturia V Collection 6 as well as various iPad & soft synths.
Download the Korg Kronos AL-1/Polysix Graphical Editor
Fabricio1602

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am SO HAPPY TO FIND THIS, people at guitar center and other musicians thought I was going crazy.

MAke no mistake, this problem with the keys clicking happens with Kronos X also, and I went thru 4 korg kronos. A guy at guitar center said he does not even wat to sell me anyhting because I was annoying. I will work on mine and let you guys know the results.

By the way Korg also thougt I was making it up.... I'm happy to find a group of people that understand these annoying isssues.

Thank you
maphill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sharp,

Can we make this thread sticky? (Pun not intended) It seems to be helping people.

Thanks,
Mark
siliconsparrow

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I just want to say that I have a Kronos X 73 only two weeks old which developed a sticky B on the lowest octave with associated clunking noise.

I was going to send it back but I tried this fix and it totally worked. The keyboard is smooth as ever now. Thank you so much.
maphill

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.

Sharp, what would you think about making this sticky?

Thanks,
Mark
Synthee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help in this thread maphill.
Do I have to loose every screw with large head underneath the kronos or is it enough with the ones in front raw, nearest the keyboard?

Before I try to unscrew the keyboard I tried to insert a piece of paper between the sticky key and the frontpanel, and then take the paper out again, and that helped to get rid of the sticky key problem. Very Happy
So now its only the clonky sound on release that is the problem. And to fix that I guess I have to loosen the screws.
Synthee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now i found out, by another thread on this forum, that the problem I have that make the keys touch the ftontpanel and make a sound, is because Kronos doesent have any support on the middle rubberfeats, only at the edges.
postman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Thanks!! Reply with quote

Thanks a lot! +1. Solved my problem too. (Started after the extra hard drive was installed. Unfortunately the musicshop was bankrupted, so couldn't return to them)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: