Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you are considering a Monotribe..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: If you are considering a Monotribe.. Reply with quote

That & the Microsampler use the same model of PSU.. And workflow-wise they play very nicely together! Very Happy
artpunk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: If you are considering a Monotribe.. Reply with quote

lloydsmith wrote:
That & the Microsampler use the same model of PSU.. And workflow-wise they play very nicely together! Very Happy

Hi Lloyd, that's good to know! I have both but haven't had much of a chance to use either since I've had the monotribe (why does work/life seem to get really busy just when you get new equipment to play with?!)
Could you please give examples of how you have been using them together in your workflow?
Cheers! Very Happy
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy

Yes - time is the enemy for all of us. My observation was based upon quickly sampling the MT into the MS & playing it up & down the keys, & then pattern sequencing to get that TB303 vibe! This is a lot nicer than using the ribbon with a stylus - although perfectly adequate results are possible this way now that the ribbon has a quantize setting. The MS isn't any better or worse at this than anything else - I just happened to have one to hand!

The beauty of the MT is in the the unpredictability of the results - changing swing via sync & chopping out steps spits out all kinds of odd patterns - but it's all too easy (for me) to make the filter squeal or whistle unintentionally. Patterns are 16 steps long at best & it also has to be played on the knobs to get the best out of it - so grabbing the best bits via sampling is the way it works best for me.

The Monotribe has to be the oddest synth I have played to date - sometimes I can get nothing good out of it, other times it springs to life & I can't believe what it has just come up with.. LOL
artpunk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lloyd! Your way of working with both bits of kit sounds very cool, a great use of both the machines strengths! I appreciate you posting a reply...can't wait to try some of these ideas banging around in my head myself!
Re:
lloydsmith wrote:

The Monotribe has to be the oddest synth I have played to date - sometimes I can get nothing good out of it, other times it springs to life & I can't believe what it has just come up with.. LOL

I agree completely! Super fun, but very odd!The ribbon controller is a tad too small for my liking and playing with a stylus isn't my thing. I think I will be doing the midi modification as soon as I get a new soldering iron and a bit of time (& gumption!)
Thanks again!
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Smile

Yeah, takes time to aclimatise to the ribbon - it is fiddly but more workable.
than Monotron.

I found double tracking & gating the drums makes a surprisingly phat beat.

Way too much fun & much more depth & ability than I expected.

Kept me up all night - dead today LOL Twisted Evil
renegade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the monotribe can sync to the MS if you panned a click sound and sent it to the sync input of the tribe? Anyone tried that? You would have to pan all the other sounds in the MS opposite to the click but it could be fun.

Hmm I wonder if the click sound from the monotribe could be sampled to the MS?
Crystalmsc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: If you are considering a Monotribe.. Reply with quote

lloydsmith wrote:
That & the Microsampler use the same model of PSU...

also with the microkorg XL and KP Quad Smile
Korg: Wavedrum/Mini/Global, MS-20m, Volca Beats/Bass/Key, Trinity Pro, Karma + Moss Board, 01R/W, Wavestation/SR/EX, microKORG XL, Kaossilator Pro, iKaossilator, Kaoss Pad Quad, Monotribe, Monotron/duo/delay, DS-10, Korg Collection V2, Korg Gadget, microKEY25
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: