Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS Fan Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During a recent service of my 2011 Kronos, I decided to replace the fan as the factory unit was becoming progressively noisier. (Incidentally, the stock fan is rated for around 30,000 hours of use). Like a few others, I tried the Noctua NF-A6X25 FLX as it was readily available in my region and should be a high quality fan.

I found this fan was still quite noisy on "Auto" mode, but on "Slow" it didn't seem to move enough air to keep temperatures low. On my unit, temperatures were getting up to 80 degrees in a 29 degree room. On auto, the fan speed was much higher, but it still wasn't full speed. It also made an annoying humming sound due to the pulse width modulation.

I entered test mode (Hold Mixer Knobs, Reset Controls, Enter, 2) and actually found it to be quieter on higher fan speeds.

What I discovered is that the Kronos controls fan speed using its own algorithm in the EVA module, and it uses preset fan PWM values that work reasonable well with the stock fan, but don't necessarily work optimally with aftermarket fans. It updates the fan speed about once a second between two values.

I modified my Kronos to use the native Linux WinBond fan speed control algorithm instead, by (essentially) adding these two lines to my inittab:

Code:
# Adjust fan control settings
echo 3 > /sys/devices/platform/w83627hf.656/pwm1_enable
echo [b]68000[/b] > /sys/devices/platform/w83627hf.656/temp1_max

This configures the Linux kernel to ignore the PWM control value issued by the Korg EVA application, and instead target a maximum system (not CPU) temperature of 68 degrees.

It's also possible to manually set the fan speed using a similar technique, however once we set the fan speed manually, we have to prevent EVA from overridding it (the chmod 666 prevents the EVA process from updating the fan speed)

Code:

# Adjust fan speed manually
echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/w83627hf.656/pwm1_enable
echo [b]240[/b] > /sys/devices/platform/w83627hf.656/pwm1; chmod 666 /sys/devices/platform/w83627hf.656/pwm1

I found values between 110 and 240 were reasonable - 110 equated to the default "Slow" setting on the original Kronos, and 176 was the default "auto" speed. 255 should be full speed.

Note that after making these changes, the fan speed can't be changed via the Kronos UI any longer.

If anyone is interested in this, I can potentially look at bundling it up to an unofficial Kronos update (this should be fine legally speaking as doing so doesn't involve reverse engineering or modifying any Korg binaries or code). Let me know!
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
During a recent service of my 2011 Kronos, I decided to replace the fan as the factory unit was becoming progressively noisier. (Incidentally, the stock fan is rated for around 30,000 hours of use). Like a few others, I tried the Noctua NF-A6X25 FLX as it was readily available in my region and should be a high quality fan.

I found this fan was still quite noisy on "Auto" mode, but on "Slow" it didn't seem to move enough air to keep temperatures low. On my unit, temperatures were getting up to 80 degrees in a 29 degree room. On auto, the fan speed was much higher, but it still wasn't full speed. It also made an annoying humming sound due to the pulse width modulation.

I entered test mode (Hold Mixer Knobs, Reset Controls, Enter, 2) and actually found it to be quieter on higher fan speeds.

What I discovered is that the Kronos controls fan speed using its own algorithm in the EVA module, and it uses preset fan PWM values that work reasonable well with the stock fan, but don't necessarily work optimally with aftermarket fans. It updates the fan speed about once a second between two values.

I modified my Kronos to use the native Linux WinBond fan speed control algorithm instead, by (essentially) adding these two lines to my inittab:

Code:

This configures the Linux kernel to ignore the PWM control value issued by the Korg EVA application, and instead target a maximum system (not CPU) temperature of 68 degrees.

It's also possible to manually set the fan speed using a similar technique, however once we set the fan speed manually, we have to prevent EVA from overridding it (the chmod 666 prevents the EVA process from updating the fan speed)

Code:

echo [b]240[/b] > /sys/devices/platform/w83627hf.656/pwm1; chmod 666 /sys/devices/platform/w83627hf.656/pwm1

I found values between 110 and 240 were reasonable - 110 equated to the default "Slow" setting on the original Kronos, and 176 was the default "auto" speed. 255 should be full speed.

Note that after making these changes, the fan speed can't be changed via the Kronos UI any longer.

If anyone is interested in this, I can potentially look at bundling it up to an unofficial Kronos update (this should be fine legally speaking as doing so doesn't involve reverse engineering or modifying any Korg binaries or code). Let me know!

very impressed by all your work 'inside ' Kronos.

By 'EVA module ', are you referring to Kronos PSU or internal power supply ?
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
SeedyLee wrote:

Code:

Code:

very impressed by all your work 'inside ' Kronos.

By 'EVA module ', are you referring to Kronos PSU or internal power supply ?

Eva is the name of the application on the Kronos that provides the user interface and overall system control, as far as I can tell. It runs in userspace, whereas the sound generation components run as an extension of the kernel.

I found that the Kernel module for the WinBond controller actually doesn't do fan speed control on the Kronos, so I'm thinking of putting together a little C utility to do simple PID fan control, possibly based on one of the existing Linux fan control daemons. Interestingly, the Kronos includes a stub of a fan controller, but it doesn't actually do anything.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so a little more information about fan control on the Kronos.

The speed (and hance noise) of the fan is controlled by a Winbond W83627THG-I Super I/O controller using pulse width modulation (PWM). This is controlled by the Linux W83627HF driver, the source code for which can be found here: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/hwmon/w83627hf.c

The Winbond controller has two registers which directly affect the mechanical performance of the fan: PWM width (or duty cycle), and PWM frequency. It appears only PWM Width can be adjusted at runtime via the sysfs on the Kronos - PWM frequency is hardcoded to a static value. Unfortunately, depending on the fan, the PWM Frequency may not be optimal and may produce harmonic noise (buzzing etc).

If your aftermarket fan is humming or buzzing, it may be because the PWM Frequency isn't suitable for the mechanical characteristics of that fan. The easiest option is probably to adjust the fan speed electrically using a resistor in serial, and run it at a duty cycle as close to 100% as possible.

It's also worth mentioning that the minimum speed via PWM control differs from fan to fan, so some fans may stop when the Kronos is set to "Slow" fan control.

My advice: stick with the stock fan. Other fans may appear to have similar performance characteristics, but the Kronos works optimally with the factory fan from a noise perspective.

average_male

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:33 am    Post subject: Your Kronos Update Bundle Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
. . .

Hello SeedyLee,

I'd be interested in this update bundle. This sounds very useful.

Thank You.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee, did you consider the Arduino Micro board running independently.
There are enough PWM channels to control not one but two fans.
And there are 12 analog inputs for sensor.
Such project would definitely be easy and perhaps even better what Kronos has to offer.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I recently purchased a new fan to replace the Noctura I've been using for a while. However, I seem to have lost my original screws!

Can anyone tell me what type of fan screws ship with the Kronos for securing the OEM fan? I believe it's a 4mm x 30mm, but the M4 screws I have tried don't fit the thread. I'm wondering if they are perhaps a .5 pitch screw, as opposed to the more typical .7 pitch M4s?

Korg don't appear to sell them as a spare, and the service manual is cryptic in this area.

If anyone has any info (or even pictures), I'd be incredibly appreciative!

voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Kronos version? I vaguely recall the screws on a Kronos X being of the "self tapper" type. Darned if I can find them now....Found them!! They are, indeed self-tappers, so more like a fine-pitched wood screw, outside thread diameter 3.90mm, pitch 1.45mm, length 30mm. There were three screws, not four!

The part number is: BT P 3BBC 4x30: 3 (3-off).

The M4 18tpi screws in this link might be close enough:

http://www.japanesescrews.com/products/class-2-tapping-thread-for-use-in-metal-or-plastic.html

SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are amazing! That would explain why I couldn’t get the other ones to fit!

I will see what I can find that match those dimensions, but that’s a huge help.

Korg don’t stock those screws as spares, and the part number didn’t bring anything up.

In the meantime I have just used some M3 screws with nuts and washers to oss through the existing holes. Seems to have done the trick.

Will also post my findings with this fan - so far, so good though. I tried to find one that matched the specs of the OEM one as much as possible. Though I had to solder on my own 3-pin Molex connector as it came from Mouser I terminated.

voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Kronos X fan was too noisy for a quiet studio environment, so I fitted a quiet fan using some compliant rubber "pull through the hole" mounts, resulting in the Kronos fan being almost totally silent in operation. The only time I can hear it is after several hours use in hot weather, probably down to wear in the fan bearings.

SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which fan did you replace the stock one with, voip?

voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not 100% sure which one was used in the end, as several different fans were bought and the best one picked, but I think it was the Noiseblocker XR2. Make sure it is supplied with the rubber mounting plugs.

hephiroth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:

Code:

Code:

I recently tried the Noctua fan you mentioned here and am noticing similar issues. Is the code change your reference easy and safe to do?

And does anyone know if the Noiseblocker fan responds any better from a temperature standpoint?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24
Page 24 of 24

Jump to: