Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Synching Keytar to Triton Rack ??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Batsinthebelltower

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Synching Keytar to Triton Rack ?? Reply with quote

Hey guys

I hope youre all keeping well

I have had my korg triton rack and roland ax7 keytar for about 4 months ,
Still getting the feel of the set . Really impressed with the tritons lead sounds, the presets are cool , but when you get editing it really rocks

My problem is , I have some default sounds ive made , and saved them to A001 - A008 , various leads and choirs / synth pads , but i cannot save them to the presets buttons on my keytar , asif the midi doesnt matchup ?

Both sets of " up down " controls for changing patches, allow me to be in the G bank only , and i cannot seem to access other banks using the keytar, meaning im always over at the rack manually controlling the rack

Any idea how to synch them both ?
Batsinthebelltower

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm too add to that i kindof mean like

button 1 on keytar = choir pad , 2 = lead sound , 3 = whatever etc

Rolling Eyes
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like more of an AX7 question than a Triton question. I'd perhaps try to ask somewhere where you'll talk to other AX users.

The problem is getting the AX7 to send the right bank messages - or just ignore bank messages completely. Then you could simply arrange the patches as you want on the Triton.

I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be possible. The AX shouldn't just default to GM bank and not allow you to change it.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Batsinthebelltower

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey X trade

just reading what you said regarding "the MSB and LSB numbers for Triton banks are fairly well documented."

could you explain this a little more ? the keytar manual is utterly useless

It mentions bank and program changes and reffers to C00 C32

i have experience in programming guitar amp midi ; i have a 6 piece rack setup all controlled by midi footpedal, but just cant get my head round this atall

Any help you could give me would be great man !!
Batsinthebelltower

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if this helps atall , ive found a few similar questions on other forums

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?1220253-Configuring-a-Roland-AX-7-with-a-Korg-Triton-LE
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the AX manuals are poor,I have an AX-1 it is detailed into how to save and write but its a little bit scrambled and not the best explanatory friendly manual

It is a little painstaking programming the AX but at least you have the luxury of an LCD on your 7...the AX-1 doesn't...

The AX factory patches are defaulted to GM/GS/XG Parameters,if you want to select non GM device sounds in your synths you need to edit those patches/CC data channel numbers etc in the AX to suit your setup and then overwrite the factory ones,its totally editable/Overwritable to your own setup and midi channel allocation,the AX is simply put a dummy controllor so unless you plan to use it to control GM/GS parameters out of the box,you need to set it up for your own needs,like you would with any other Midi controller

Basically You choose whether you want to edit the Upper or lower section on the AX-1(I presume the AX7 is the same) in either a split or layer or single option you have to put the unit into free panel mode/Edit mode,insert the Midi channel number and then insert the CC0/CC32 values and then program(patch number value)you should then write this to one of the patch locations in the AX your values and channel and everything else will be saved within that location

The CC0/32 select banks,with values(Say CC0-Value 0,then CC32 Value 2 would say select bank A on the Triton as an example if you wanted to select bank B change the CC32 value to 3 etc etc,) then you need to insert a Program change to select a sound in that bank,this data is stored inside a patch location on the AX ater you have programmed it yourself.

Make sure the Midi channels also match up,if your using the Triton in Program mode then the midi channels in the AX Stored patch data should match the global midi channel,if your using it in seq mode/Combi mode then the channel numbers should match whatever channel/Track your wanting to select in those modes
Batsinthebelltower

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 , thanks for that info , it is a little easier understood than what ive currently got... about to loadup the triton here and give it a go

expect me back shortly with more n00b questions :p

cheers man
Batsinthebelltower

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAHHH!!!

this is driving me mad !!

i have my triton on , keytar connected , in PROG mode.

My lead is A001 on triton , midi channel 1

my keytar is also on midi channel 1

C00 is set to 0 , C32 is set to 0 , and PC is set to 1 .

If i change C00 or C32 nothing happens atal;l on the triton

If i change PC from 1, 2 ,3 etc it just takes me immediately to triton bank G and goes through the presets

changin C00 and C32 does nothing , and the bank remains the same on the triton

absolutely lost
Batsinthebelltower

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so i can now save patches to the keytar memory ;

i have managed to save a nice jens johansson type harpsichord preset to A11 on my keytar

Its location is 007 in bank G

prg change is set to 007 on keytar, so yea they match

however CC0 and C32 do nothing still, im still trapped in bank G

when i change C00 and C32 the bank stays exactly the same, however when i go up and down PRG Change, the patches change accoprdingly.....
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like your patch change buttons are sending a change to the GM bank. Typically, when something sends a patch change and supports bank messages, it sends MSB, LSB, and PC, straight after the other. This is the kidn fo standard for changing patches between banks. If you jsut send CC0 and CC32 it won't actually change bank until it receives a PC too.

Also might be an idea to make sure - I can't remember if there is a setting or not, but it's not inconceivable that there would be a setting in the Triton's Global Mode which tells it to always default to the GM bank. This is quite common when using as a sound module for MIDI files and other scoring duties.

This page may help a lot:
http://www.korguksupport.co.uk/page.cfm?pageid=369#176
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Batsinthebelltower

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys

Id like to thank you all for your input , i took a little bnit from each answer and finally figured this out

the same issue is on loads of forums , so rather than just get it fixxed and go off to play, i thought id give a walk through on how to synch them completely

- With keytar connected to triton rack , goto global settings, midi , and tick the box "enable program change"

- Goto globnal again and change bank map to KORG

- find the sound on the triton that you would like to set as A11 on keytar. on keytar , hold down WRITE , and dont let go. whilst doing so type in A11 , then press enter , now let go of WRITE

- find the second sound on the triton you would like to set as A12 on keytar. on keytar , do the same WRITE hold process , enter A12 , then enter , then let go of write

- You can now go between A11 and A12 and they will bne the sounds you saved to each location.

- As for CC0 and CC32 , i have bnoth set to zero. for program change (PC) you will find pressing up and down will change patches in realtime on the triton ; if you already have the sound you wish selected, dont worry about PC , alternatively you can use this to browse patches and then save them to whatever A/B numbner you like

Hopefully that will help anyone else with this issue

Many thanks again for all your help guys !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Rack All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: