Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

coating wave drum mini pad

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you consider coating the mini pad to make playing more expressive/comfortable?
yes
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
no
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

buzzToronto

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: coating wave drum mini pad Reply with quote

has anyone considered coating the WD mini pad? I have thought about gluing fibreskyn (for the texture not sound), fabric or a textured coated surface (like a coated snare drum) for more expressiveness with sweeps of the fingers (like brushes against a coated snare head). Ideas, experiences? Sometimes I wrap a sheet or some fabric around the play area but I want something more professional and permanent.

Gary
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted NO. Sorry. Wink

Personally, I find the Mini to be very responsive to light finger playing, and I wouldn't want to interrupt that level of response at all. Plus, I actually like the feel of the pad surface, and I'd be afraid that having a textured surface would only wear on my skin.

Your idea of securing a piece of actual drumhead to the surface is interesting though, and would probably work. The only other thing that comes to mind, if you really want a textured surface, would be to maybe try applying some strips of Grip Tape like what is used on skateboards.
http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=3416161
You could either cover the entire pad area or just run a few narrow strips across.

The main problem though is that the Mini is not "microphonic" in the same way that the Wavedrum is. With no dedicated acoustic transducer for the main pad area, I'm not sure that you'd be able to achieve any of those "sweeping" sounds with brushes or other implements. I'll mess around with this when I have a chance.

(No electricity in my town all week, but that's why the Mini takes batteries!)

Let us know if you come up with something that works for you.
buzzToronto

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: It is microphonic Reply with quote

Thanks I'll check the tape out!

By the way I don't know why everyone is saying the mini is not microphonic. It is. If you clip the clip onto an acoustic guitar you can hear through the headphones the melody you are playing- on the patches that use the microphonic DSP which not all do. So scratching sounds on many of the minis patches definitely do come through.

Cheers,

Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: