Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is SV-1 only good for Rhodes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ud dude

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Is SV-1 only good for Rhodes? Reply with quote

So I am mainly a guitarist, and LOVE the sound of Rhodes,

I almost bought a Rhodes, then decided I don't really have room for one, nor do I have the knowledge or patience to deal with the maintenance issue that can come up. ( the one I almost bought had a few issues).

So instead of the Rhodes I bought an SV1, and I really dig the Rhodes sounds in it. I LOVE this aspect of this board and so I am happy with this decision.

BUT because it is a digital piano I expected some great piano sounds also

I can't get the acoustic pianos to sound even close to 1/2 as good as the ones in the official demo videos.

I can't get the amps sims to sound good either ( have tried tweaking in the editor software) they are just too noisy, I know they are emulating tubes amps which can run noisy, but I got way better sounds by running it through the amps sims in fender mustang, zoom multi effects, boss multi effects, and Tech 21(Fender Black Face) amp sim pedal.

I am not too worried about the amp sims as I have other gear that does this really well, but any advice on how to get a good ac piano sound would be appreciated.

(I have tried running it through a Fender Mustang III, my studio monitors, and a 100 w GK bass amp. The bass amp is by far the best sounding option, Fender Mustang a close second. ) ( I have tried adjusting the amp EQ when changing patches from rhodes to Ac piano, in realizing that different eq may be requrired, but I dit not have success in getting a nice acoustic piano sound yet.

Please help.
CowboyNQ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some tips to get a better AP sound from your SV-1.

1. Run it through a good quality powered speaker.
2. Adjust the EQ Settings to taste, and when you hit one that sounds nice, save it as a favourite. Your needs will differ here depending on if you're playing solo or if you need to cut through a band, etc.
3. Don't run your AP sounds through your outboard amp sims.

Good luck!
i_am_binky

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seconded... don't put the Grand Piano thru outboard

~
other thoughts

if you're using Grand Piano 1, i never got that one to sound good to my ears.

like Grand Piano 2 (Steinway).. only Grand Piano 2 patches are usable piano for me (i keep one of the yamaha grands around just to hear if i ever like it), the others are steinway variations (diff pads mostly) and an upright (not bad, but the Steinway grand is great.

also like the Reed EP1 Wurlitzer (don't like the others as much). use the more muted RMI (Euro E.P.) and both versions of the ElectraPno (1 sus off, 2 sus on iirc) for genesis carpet crawlery stuff.

clavs are nice, but rarely use them. ditto organ, just once in a while; hard to play on weighted keys... like a diff instrument.

pads/strings are great! Rhodes, Wurlie, Steinway, Strings, Mellotron, Solina are my 6 goto sounds on the SV-1... also like the synth sounds, but very selective and weighted keys make playing different... fun to mess with tho.
Gambold

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, the principal strength of the SV-1 is as a Rhodes emulator. Just like the Nord Electro's flagship sound is its Hammond B3.

As others have posted, the acoustic pianos on the SV-1 are just ok. The organs are workable in a band environment but without drawbars you are seriously limited - and the Rotary is only so-so.

I do think the orchestra samples do well in a band mix. If your band is asking you to play synth sounds - find another band, you are better than that.

The rest of it - Clavs, Wurlis, and vintage things like Pianets and SG-1s - I don't use those. I bought it for the Rhodes - and it even kind of LOOKS like one Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: