Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

We've been asking
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glued on! Dang I figured they would be bolted on! I wish I could find a set to hear. Might be better going with the plain renown or the new Catalina maple. Or a decent ekit.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran to my mom and pop store they aren't glued on and sound perfect for me. I'm in in about a month! Now to find a way to mount the WD in there!
Kaden

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolted is actually worse in terms of messing with the shell resonance, but I'm pretty much of a purist in terms of acoustic drums; I opted for Starclassics because the logo is a decal rather than a metal plate, and the vent grommet is wood rather than aluminum. The lacquer's still kinda thick though, dammit.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW they have a dw performance set coming I want to look at also, white mop. He says he feels they are just a bit better then the renown. I won't rule it out until I hear it but so far I really like the '57. You probably really hate all the hood ornaments on them. Good thing there are a lot of different kits out there! I do appreciate everyones views though, always good to check it all out first, dog gone drums can be pricey! How do you incorporate your WD into your kit?
Kaden

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to buy an acoustic kit today I'd be all over Craigslist looking for someone dumping last year's model for this year's bright 'n shiny. Function over form every time.

My kit is pretty involved... 6 drums, 14 cymbals, 12 pads, a TD-8, a laptop, a bunch of Kaoss products, a bunch of Akai USB controllers, and the WD, which is usually back by the electronics so I can easily loop it into the KP3.

Wavedrums and Kaoss pads get along really well.

I tried having the WD set up by the snare, but it takes up a lotta real estate and the VDrum pads duplicate a lot of the functionality at half the size. I can get *way* more subtlety out of the WaveDrum using my hands and fingers anyway.

Have you checked out a Manadala drum yet?
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A real mandala? Or an electronic version?
If you ever get a chance it would be great to see your rig! I like the idea of this nord drum and my WD mixed with an a oustic kit. How are you using the males pads? I had a kaoss pro but returned it. I had a ball with it but in the end it was just a toy. I really didn't know how to incorporate my WD with it. Maybe the KP3 is better suited for that? I did do Craig's list but around me there was nothing that really caught my eye. Bits and pieces or entry level kits. There was a decent pearl kit at an auction but of course I was off working. I have been saving for the renown since they came out but I am looking forward to seeing and hearing the mop dw performance kit! Thanks for the info always helpful! Bertotti
Kaden

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one Danny Carey's so big on... http://synesthesiacorp.com/

I'll see if I can find some recent pictures of my rig. It's a pretty cable intensive setup... the laptop syncs everything via Ableton, so I can bung a loop from the wavedrum into the KPro, use the Launchpad to trigger some ambient loops, and bang out a sequence with the MPK Mini and then play some real drums on top of that. I have a KP3 on the master buss of my mixer, so I can do more looping on the VDrums then play back a pad motion on an effect on the whole mixed signal for sweeps or glitchy business.

Getting alla this crap configured and learning how to ergonomically execute the fiddly bits has been a character building experience, and gawd knows, I *need* to find some eager young lad to intern as my tech. When everything works properly and I don't screw up, it's a fairly intimidating wall o' sound.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hangood luck finding a young lad willing to work. Seems in my field they are few and far between!

Your set up sound pretty cool! I hope to have some fun like that although probably not as complex as I am very new to drumming! WD a couple years ago was my first leap into this world and is why I got fired up for a kit! Kind of odd for some one just a bit or two shy of 50.
Kaden

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing this kinda stuff for 45 years... it's waaay easier to weird out now than it was back in the '60's.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are taught how to weird out in school, not sure they learn much else! Anyway thanks for the comments all good food for thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: