Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gig bag for the Kronos 88?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farmogoyf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Gig bag for the Kronos 88? Reply with quote

I am looking to get a gig bag for my Kronos 88. I will not be flying at any time, and for the most part it will have nothing on top of it or around it during travel. I would get a hard case, but 2 things make the decision tougher 1) it will often be only me lifting and loading the Korg into my car and to the gig, so an extra 10 pounds off from a hard case to soft is big, and 2) I have a Honda Civic, so I don't have a ton of clearance with the back seat down in the trunk, so some hard cases will be a hair too big.

I do want exceptional padding if possible, and most of the recommendations I have read around here say go hard shell, anyone have good experience with any of the lighter/soft cases?
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on it,even though I've considered gigbags in the past,yes you may be taking the overall weight into consideration and trying to save yourself a hernia with a lighter alternative,but my experiences of gigging even though I'm careful with my gear,if your going to gig regularly,a decent hardcase or full flightcase is a worthwhile investment for such an expensive synthesizer.

A gigbag may give you some minor protection,and save space,but if the unfortunate should happen,its the difference between a costly repair to your synth or a minor repair to a hardcase

I See gigbags as nothing more than padded dust covers with a zip,others may disagree but I Wouldn't gig with anything less these days!

Have you never seen the carousel at the Airport!!!you have two types of travellers those with the soft material cases,trying to get more baggage allowance but end up with damages,and dented cases and those with samsonite hard cases with a few scuffs and scratches

If you had to suffer an impact,would you prefer to be a slug or a Snail! Anxious

Last edited by Kontrol49 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
keekma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a stagg ktc-150 softcase with weels. It is a good protection when youre not put things on top of it. Its light and funtional. I think it will work for you.

Former keyboards:
Yamaha s90es, Virus TI snow, Roland xp30, Roland u20, Roland juno 6
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean a real "bag", I would not chance it. There are some padded soft cases that are OK, but you must be very careful with an 88 or a 73. To use one with a 61 is more practical.
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I could ever use a bag with my K88. I have the SKB molded case and it's pretty easy to get around (lots of handles and wheels too). I mean, as long as you're not trucking it up and down 2/3 flights of stairs daily, it's really not that big of a deal. And I was, at one point looking at possibly getting a civic sedan and took my SKB case to the dealer - with the back seats down, it fits just fine in the trunk.
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google colorado case company they make keyboard cases routinely. They make them to the dimensions you specify! You can see them online under soft cases>keyboards.
Farmogoyf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply's all! I am looking at several of the options presented here to see what will work best for my situation. One thought, does anyone know the specifications of the Korg premade case for the Kronos 88? I called Korg, and Customer Service wasn't sure and refered me to parts, and parts xfered me right back to customer service.

jeebustrain wrote:
I don't think I could ever use a bag with my K88. I have the SKB molded case and it's pretty easy to get around (lots of handles and wheels too). I mean, as long as you're not trucking it up and down 2/3 flights of stairs daily, it's really not that big of a deal. And I was, at one point looking at possibly getting a civic sedan and took my SKB case to the dealer - with the back seats down, it fits just fine in the trunk.

Do you have the model number for that one? I know SKB has a couple molded cases.
CaptLego

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using an older version of the SKB 5820W case (pre TSA latches). I bought this and used it for a Yamaha S90, and recently re-arranged the foam padding to fit the Kronos 88.

It's big. It's heavy. But it has wheels and provides good protection. After risking wrenching my back lifting it into my van, I finally wisened up and now lift it in one end at a time (leave one end on the ground, lift the other end up into the van, then grab the end on the ground and shove the case into the van. This way, I only lift 1/2 the weight at a time.)
Product Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: KORG CASES Reply with quote

This link has been posted before (in Japanese). If you check prices on any of these cases you will find out why they are probably not imported.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.korg.co.jp%2FProduct%2FOption%2Fcase.html%23fc

To protect your Kronos 88 I would avoid a soft case.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where you are but I bought a gig generic gig bag for my Triton Pro X which is a heavy 88 key beast. I live in Canada and bought one at Long and McQuades for about $80. Same thing for me. I'm the only one lifting it. Unfortunately the bag is fairly oversized. That's the problem you'll find unless you get one specifically for your Kronos.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the concerns about a soft case. However, when I downsized from a full size van about seven years ago, my flight case for my Yamaha S-80 no longer fit in my vehicle. I bought Yamaha's official soft case for the S-90 (the S-80 was history by that time). I was concerned about the knobs on the S-80, but never had any trouble.

When I went to the M3-73, I bought a padded gig bag and never had any problems with the M3 itself, though the hardware on the bag wore out.

When I first got my Kronos 73, I actually double bagged it in 2 gig bags. Everything was fine until I had my car accident in October. I spun out in snow on the turnpike and the rear of my car eventually hit the center barrier and crushed in the right corner. This resulted in about five keys getting bent in and ruined. A hard case may have protected the keyboard, but from the way the trunk crumpled, it's far more likely that the case would have crushed also, damaging more of the instrument. If the case had remained intact, it would have been forced into my Bose system packed behind it and ruined that equipment. The moral of this story - don't have a car accident on the way to a gig! Embarassed

Anyway, I ended up getting this soft case:

http://www.kaces.com/detail.asp?product_id=XKP_Series

Like you, I load in and out myself. I never put equipment on top of the keyboard and I'm limited by trunk space. (In my case, a Chevy Impala.) This case is slightly bigger than what I was using, so my Kronos now gets to ride in the back seat.

My salesman fought me tooth and nail on getting a soft case. So I took him out and we measured my car. No way to fit a hard case in it.

If your traveling by car and load yourself, then I think it's an acceptable risk. There are almost always nice people hanging around after a gig who are willing to help tote equipment. I politely - and forcefully if needed -insist that I'm the only one who moves by keyboard. They always understand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: