Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New song from new contributor: I Want To Lose My Faith

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract
View previous topic :: View next topic  
korgvuer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: New song from new contributor: I Want To Lose My Faith Reply with quote

Hello to all. I asked a couple of weeks back if it was too late to enter the OSAM contest and was told it wasn't, so here is my first entry for January. Another for Feb. is forthcoming. Look forward to your comments. Thanx,

korgvuer a.k.a. Little Owl and the Spirits of the Night

"I Want To Lose My Faith"
http://soundcloud.com/little-owl-and-the-s-o-n
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, makes me think of a carnival or fair. I like the topic too, speaks to me. Did you record a few acoustic instruments for this song?

Vocal can use auto tuning. There are free trials for auto VST's like Antares' Evo: http://www.antarestech.com/download/demoform.php

or iZotope's Nectar: http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/nectar/download.asp

You don't have to hard-tune your vocals, just clean them up a bit. I can help you out with programming too.

The song is nice and long. Makes me think of a Phish concert or something where those guys will go on 1/2hr jams and such. With that being said, it could contain more structure and variation like the ABABCB formula of Pop music. Thats only if you're going for general appeal though, if you're making music for you then you can do whatever you want of course.
korgvuer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: "I Want To Lose My Faith" *Look forward to working Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
Interesting, makes me think of a carnival or fair. I like the topic too, speaks to me. Did you record a few acoustic instruments for this song?

Vocal can use auto tuning. There are free trials for auto VST's like Antares' Evo: http://www.antarestech.com/download/demoform.php

or iZotope's Nectar: http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/nectar/download.asp

You don't have to hard-tune your vocals, just clean them up a bit. I can help you out with programming too.

The song is nice and long. Makes me think of a Phish concert or something where those guys will go on 1/2hr jams and such. With that being said, it could contain more structure and variation like the ABABCB formula of Pop music. Thats only if you're going for general appeal though, if you're making music for you then you can do whatever you want of course.

Hey there, Charles. Thank you very much for your feedback. I've listened to your music, read your entries in this forum, and feel that you definitely have a really excellent ear - and you obviously also possess the experience - that combined could enhance my efforts a great deal if you are willing to lend me a hand. Yeah, I am totally open for suggestions; I really appreciate you taking the time to even comment on what I am trying to accomplish. Please dont ever feel the need to hold back in order to spare my feelings, okay? I'm putting my stuff out there now for review and assistance. I can take whatever I need to hear.

I want to create music that a) appeals to people and b) has, and serves, its own inherent purpose, so anything you are willing to impart to me to achieve this will always be gratefully appreciated. My goal is not to just make tunes for myself, but to hopefully arrive at the stage where my work is acceptable, competent, polished and intact enough to be appealing and worthwhile to others.

I've never used auto tuning, 'tho I am aware of it. Never thought about utilizing it for myself (that's the kind of stuff I need to hear and am very open to with regards to criticisms and suggestions). I will check in on the link you provided. Thanks for pointing me in a right initial direction.

I did struggle a bit to make the vocals clear and yet retain a touch of power in them. Any help you can give me to clean them up would be great. I use Cubase 6 for recording/mixing & WaveLab 7 for mastering. My equipment in total is at least par, I believe, and perhaps even maybe a notch or two above that, to attain some good results. I just need to get myself out of the way, so to speak, to get there.

I didn't use any acoustics for the song. It's all been done with my Roland V-Synth GT and my 88-key Korg Kronos. With this particular song I did the drums & percussions by multi-tracking in realtime using a Boss DR-880 drum machine. Main beat first, another layer of "electric hand drums" such as bongos, etc., and then scatters of percussions. Bass line was done on the V-Synth. Keyboards and all other sounds done with both synths.

My subject matter tends to be on somewhat substantial thoughts, ideas, and weighty things and concerns of relevance, to me at least; however, I also find myself going back to songs about love on a routine basis, which I guess may be one of the most heavy topics a person could approach. This particular song is the result of many, many nights of staring up into space pondering questions that I imagine we all have from time to time (more for some than for others) as well as after adding up 2 and 2 in my life [so to speak], but coming up with 7, and then left wondering how in the heck I got there and why no one is there to answer that question. I'm glad this song has some resonance with you; now I just have to figure out how to get resonance in my vocals, too!

Thanks again, Charles. I will look into auto tuning this evening. Also, I am preparing another track to submit for the OSAM project. Perhaps it will give you some more thoughts and insights about what I am doing wrong and right here late at night and into the dawn. Look forward to hearing from you...

Peace
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: