Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

setting up a second tier kb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phinnin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: setting up a second tier kb Reply with quote

So lovin' the Kronos, no surprise there huh?

I have a question for you Korg experts out there (Yamaha convert here) regarding a second keyboard.

I want to put a second KB below my Kronos and use it for more then just a weighted option mirroring the sounds above (what I have been doing in the recent past). What I want is to take advantage of the additional real estate to set up more splits/programs, etc. My problem is that in reading the manual, The only way I can make the lower tier play is to have it run on the global midi channel (01 in my case), which precludes it playing different timbre's then the top tier. Or so it would seem. So if that's the case, how do I have it play a different program then the top tier?

Case in point: Simple two manual organ config: Upper tier has perc and one type of program, lower tier is different program. If I make a combi with those two, how do get it to push both channels out the Main L/R? Another common option would be to have a hammond sound on the top tier and a rhodes on the lower, weighted, tier.

I know there must be a simple solution but my attempts to fix this aren't working to date.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
keekma

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: setting up a second tier kb Reply with quote

Phinnin wrote:
So lovin' the Kronos, no surprise there huh?

I have a question for you Korg experts out there (Yamaha convert here) regarding a second keyboard.

I want to put a second KB below my Kronos and use it for more then just a weighted option mirroring the sounds above (what I have been doing in the recent past). What I want is to take advantage of the additional real estate to set up more splits/programs, etc. My problem is that in reading the manual, The only way I can make the lower tier play is to have it run on the global midi channel (01 in my case), which precludes it playing different timbre's then the top tier. Or so it would seem. So if that's the case, how do I have it play a different program then the top tier?

Case in point: Simple two manual organ config: Upper tier has perc and one type of program, lower tier is different program. If I make a combi with those two, how do get it to push both channels out the Main L/R? Another common option would be to have a hammond sound on the top tier and a rhodes on the lower, weighted, tier.

I know there must be a simple solution but my attempts to fix this aren't working to date.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It is easy to set up.
Change the midi out channel for the lower keyboard for example to 2.
On the Kronos go to Combi mode. On part 1 choose a sound you want to play on the Kronos. On part 2 choose a sound you want to play with the lower keyboard. Next chance the midi channel for part 2 in channel 2. Therefore go to timbre parameter. You also can select the keyzone for this part. Go to tab midi filter. So when you change al the midichannels on the 16 parts to channel 2, you can play 16 splits and layers on your lower keyboard.

Hope this helps.

Koen

Former keyboards:
Yamaha s90es, Virus TI snow, Roland xp30, Roland u20, Roland juno 6
Phinnin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply and I tried that. The problem is, any parts selected to Midi Channel 2 on the Kronos won't play out the L/R outputs. Only the global (01 in my case) will go out the mains. Do I need to use assignables? I would really like to allow channel 2, for instance to also go out the L/R outputs.
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you are using standard midi cables or USB for the connection. If you are using standard midi, the slave keyboard should be connected to midi out and the Kronos to Midi in. Does that help?
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
Phinnin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, doing that and If I change the midi channel on the lower keyboard to ch1, I get sound but when I change to ch2, I get nothing. Per the Kronos Manual, it says I can designate the global channel to any ONE channel and it's currently at ch1 (01G) but I cannot figure out how to have ch 2 put sound out.

I think this is a Kronos programming issue, not a midi interface issue as I think everything is working as intended. Just setup wrong. Knowing me, that's a common issue! lol
Phinnin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or it's a user error. Sorry, I think I had my test combi's all jacked up split-wise and it was skewing my results.

Thanks everyone for the help. Might have fixed it.
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the same thing and it's working fine for me...

- Set the MIDI OUT from my secondary keyboard (MIDI controller) to 2
- Create a combi for each song, where I define at least 1 timbre for Gch and a timbre for channel 2
- It can get much more complicated when you want to layer diferrent sounds or make splits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: