Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

does the microsampler have attack and release settings?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave303

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: does the microsampler have attack and release settings? Reply with quote

my intention with the microsampler(i have not purchased one yet) would be to use foot controllers to trigger live while i play bass.while on certain occasions i would need a dead stop from one sample into another(organ triad samples changing with live playing,etc.) my hope is to use more ambient and string-like samples and have them blend a bit when i switch samples.
does the microsampler have an attack and release function that can be applied to samples, and if so, can their value be adjusted?
any help on this would be most welcomed. Smile
Telengard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attack adjustment is one of the things that it is lacking on board. You can adjust start point, end point and release of the sample on the keyboard, but not attack.
Dave303

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.much appreciated. Very Happy. In fact only having a release function may be enough for me. I could always record a fade-in onto the samples starting point before putting it onto the microsampler. As long as I can have the first sample stop(with a fade-out) when I trigger the second sample,blending them, I'd be happy with that!
Also, In relation to triggering(I'll be using a midi foot controller preferably), Can I set up the samples so that they hold playing with one hit of the trigger(a 'latch' function) but stop playing (with a fade-out) when the next sample is triggered? or will the sample play through to its entirety regardless of a second or third sample being triggered?

Thanks again for the help!!!
rdorsche

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to do the same exact thing but I'm not getting it, no matter what setting I use for the Decay or Release. Yes, I am looking at the manual. It seems to have no effect on my sample.

I sang an "aahhh" note into the included gooseneck mic.
Turned it into a loop.
Now what I want to do is play this over all keys (in keyboard mode) and when I release a key, I want it to not just abruptly cut off, I want it to have a slow release. It does not work even when I change the settings for Decay or Release.

Any pointers?

I also have
a 6-second finely-tuned loop of my heavily processed voice singing "aahhhh" on my HD. Really sounds like a Fairlight sample. Yes, I made it myself, about 14 years ago on an Akai S-01 sampler.

So anyways: I have this sample. I want to do exactly as described above -- give it a long release. Do I have to build this tapering into the sample, or (hopefully) change some other setting on the microSampler?

Please, post it here.
korakios

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdorsche wrote:

I sang an "aahhh" note into the included gooseneck mic.
Turned it into a loop.
Now what I want to do is play this over all keys (in keyboard mode) and when I release a key, I want it to not just abruptly cut off, I want it to have a slow release. It does not work even when I change the settings for Decay or Release.

Maybe you have the sample on loop mode?Press the sample and check in the "Sample Status" if the "Loop" button is red.If so press it again!
rdorsche

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is in loop mode. That is the point.
I want a looped sample (or any kind of sample for that matter) to have a fading tail when I release the key, not abruptly stop and cut off.

Is there any kind of ADSR envelope on the microsampler?
electrochrisso

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there any kind of ADSR envelope on the microsampler?

Yes, but you can only do Decay and Release, you can find this on pages 29 and 30 in the owners manual.

Quote:
I want a looped sample (or any kind of sample for that matter) to have a fading tail when I release the key, not abruptly stop and cut off.

I have been able to do this with no problems. Smile
rdorsche

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please throw me an example of your settings..
Assume you have a looped sample.
What is your setting for "DECAY" and "RELEASE" to make this happen?
electrochrisso

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manual says if Decay value is less than 127, the volume will continue decreasing as the sample plays, regardless of Loop setting.
With the Release, manual has noted if play type is Loop On the Release parameter does nothing.
I will have a play around with this, it might be that it only works when the Play Type is Loop Off for "One Shot" created samples and work different when sampling "Loop" created samples.
rdorsche

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACtually I think I noticed this in one of the factory sample banks...
one of the samples within actually goes on for about 8 seconds or so, then fades out. meaning, it's in the sample itself, non-looped.
So if you want what I'm looking for, or a sustained note longer than the sampler's memory, you're out of luck.
It truly is just a phrase sampler.
electrochrisso

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is a bit more than a phrase sampler though, it is a creative tool, and when used within its capacity is very good at what it does.
What is missing that some other samplers have is a loop start and loop end point within the waveform itself, besides the waveform start and end. I knew this from the documentation I downloaded from Korg before I purchased, but for what I use micorSAMPLER for I can live without this feature.
You can however set up seamless looping samples easily by using the editor software, mainly for small waveforms or big synth sounds, keeping in mind the problem with clicking in some circumstances, still the micorSAMPLER makes up for this in its ease of use to create different performances easily, within minutes. Very Happy
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electrochrisso wrote:
The manual says if Decay value is less than 127, the volume will continue decreasing as the sample plays, regardless of Loop setting.
With the Release, manual has noted if play type is Loop On the Release parameter does nothing.
I will have a play around with this, it might be that it only works when the Play Type is Loop Off for "One Shot" created samples and work different when sampling "Loop" created samples.

A work around here would be first setting a sample into Loop Mode, then resampling it while it's looping for as many cycles as you need it to be. After that, you can adjust the Release settings on the new sample since you'll no longer need to have it in Loop Mode.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
electrochrisso

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A work around here would be first setting a sample into Loop Mode, then resampling it while it's looping for as many cycles as you need it to be. After that, you can adjust the Release settings on the new sample since you'll no longer need to have it in Loop Mode.

Good tip Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: