Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

faulty motherboard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shirreff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: faulty motherboard. Reply with quote

I have a problem with the motherboard on my korg M1. It just has a loud hissing sound with the real sounds just barely noticeable in the background.
Any Ideas?
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it hiss only when notes are played, or even after power up, without playing anything? What happens if you route sounds to outputs C+D? Do those have the hissing, too? Is this the same on the headphone out?
shirreff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same whatever route, headphones too. Crying or Very sad
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only when playing, or even when idle?
shirreff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only when playing, Confused
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are experienced in electronics, you could program a single monoaural signal (e.g. sine panned to the center, no effects) on the synth and test pin 1 of IC 12 on the KLM-1261 board to see what signal comes out there (e.g. via a small headphone amp, or line input to an amp). Should the signal be clean at that point, then you have some trouble in the analogue demultiplexing circuitry.

Should the signal be corrupted on pin 1, then you could have a fault in the digital part (unlikely) , the D/A converter chip, or the opamp you're taking the signal from (pin 2 of the same IC 12 is directly wired to the D/A, but a current output - you can test that carefully, if you know how to do it). Make sure you check voltages as well - the problem you describe migh also be due to a missing power supply rail voltage.

Maybe a short recording of the noise would be more revealing than a description - but the method above is still valid for checking, regardless. Just in case you want to avoid opening the synth at this stage.
probani

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I test the PIN 1 of IC12 on the KLM-1261 board and the wav form is square, this is correct?
with a sound Init
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm afraid it is not. It should be similar to the waveform expected on the line output of the synth - which in case of a freshly initialised program should be something pianolike. However, looking at it on an oscilloscope might be deceiving as all four output channels (L+R+3+4) are present in multiplexed form at this point and switching between the channels might look like square wave. Therefore it is better to listen than to look on an oscilloscope. If it is indeed a square signal, it should result in a quite distorted sound - is that what you're experiencing?

You can check the signal on pin2 of the same IC, if the signal is OK (i.e. different from pin1) then you'll have to check R85 (between pins 1 and 2 of IC12) or maybe replace IC12.

Otherwise the problem is likely in the digital part of the synth, or the D/A converter has to be checked.
woodynat2000

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Faulty Korg Reply with quote

This post is old however I have the same issue and just wondered if you ever found a fix? Cheers, Nathan
shirreff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, sorry. I still have the faulty board
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: