Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is 64 polyphony a danger?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
min

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Is 64 polyphony a danger? Reply with quote

As I don't need organ sounds or sampling, the kurzweil 61le should suffice. My only concern is 64 note polyphony. Can anyone advise if this is too redundant for 16 tracks of music and a few arppegiators?
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your type of music. The 64 note polyphony may be actually lot less, if you used layered programs. 32 if two layers, 16 if four layers.. etc.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Kurzweil's darn good voice allocation algorithm, it should be pretty good most of the time, depending on programs you will be using. Some programs play several layers at the same time, and that's where one played key takes more layers of polyphony.

I suspect that you cannot spring a bit further to a (used?) PC3? You'd have double the polyphony and more effects processing power then (which is kinda important when sequencing with a lot of programs).
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With KB3 programs I think there may be an issue. At least with my PC3k, when you load those programs, then the PC3k will immediately reserve a number of fixed oscillators (you specify how many from 2 to 91 and the # 92 is for the key click)

Regarding the polyphony, I have seen that usually the Programs are built with 4 layers (this on the PC3k, maybe PC3LE is different) Therefore, you usually get around 16 notes of polyphony with a single program.

If you're planning Setups with massive layering (many Programs sharing the same key range), you may have an issue. Considering this, I think the LE version is better suited for live performance, instead of composing/sequencing.

I think you would be better getting the PC3-61 if you still can find one Very Happy
Slovenec

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polyphony is a complicated issue! I remember being majorly pissed off when the mighty Korg Trinity was released in 1995 and it had 'only' 32 notes of polyphony when the competion from Roland, Alesis and Yamaha offered 64! However, I never really seemed to have much of an issue when using the Trinity as a sole sound source and found that I ran out of polyphony on my JN1080 in less time owing to the fact that many of it's patches consisted of 4 oscillators with 64 notes of polyphony.

In this day and age, I think that 64 notes of polyphony for a rompler is tight! I'd also bite the bullet and look at a PC3 for not much more money with twice the polyphony and more fx inserts, not to mention the larger LCD and heaps more real time control.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: