Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Want to reset to factory sounds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blair

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Want to reset to factory sounds Reply with quote

I want to reset my korg karma to factory presets. My original factory floppy disk is corrupted. My apple macbook pro & imac (both 2011 models) don't have floppy drives so that i can download the preset files available from the korg uk website. I live in India.

I love korg sounds & karma function. Apart from my karma i have only access virus ti2 polar & logic studio 9.

Should i sell karma ?

http://soundcloud.com/blair-s-constance
zestay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont sell your karma. get a usb floppy drive
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blair,

Factory .PCG files for the KARMA are available here and can be downloaded to your keyboard via MIDI - no need for a disk to get back to factory.

On the other hand, if you'd like to have a floppy for back-up and emergencies at gigs where a computer is not an option, then it's a +1 for zestay's suggestion. A USB floppy drive that is compatible with your Mac is $25 or less US (? ~1,400 INR) and available in almost any computer store or internet outlet.

For triton voices, 2x EXB expandability, chord pads and KARMA functions there's not a lot that can touch the KARMA.

-------

There are a lot of shareware/freeware soft-synths available that run on the mac just fine and many paid synths are available in lite versions for very reasonable prices. You have Logic - get Mainstage to help integrate your mac into live set-ups - $29 US. Look for free or lite versions: at Arturia.com "Player" $100 for 1000 classic/vintage voices; CamelAudio.com, free version of Alchemy soft-synth, Native-Instruments.com has 5 free plugins for guitar FX, keyboards and sound. Look for bundled software when you get things like computer audio interfaces.

If you only have 2 music programs on your mac you've barely scratched the surface of what you an do.

Remember that your Karma can also serve as a midi controller - and a mac, via midi, is what the EXT option in your KARMA's combi settings is all about.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Blair

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello ! Smile Please tell me how can i load factory presets via midi . For that files should be available in sysex format. Are there sysex files here ?
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blair,

They (the files in the download section) are .pcg which is Korg's disc format and if you burn this to a floppy your Karma will accept and load them just fine.

To load any other way you'd need another program (just as you would for loading sysex data) but the simplest solution is to keep files in the .pcg format and use an editor/librarian, of which there are several freeware versions and which should load using a MIDI cable as the data conduit (what I meant by loading via MIDI).

PCGTools and LeLibby are two freeware programs for PC and Java Run Environment respectively that will do the job.

BB

+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:
Blair,
PCGTools and LeLibby are two freeware programs for PC and Java Run Environment respectively that will do the job.
BB

Thanks for mentioning PCG Tools. You can obtain it by PM-ing your email address (see for more info the link in my signature).

Btw, my app only works on Windows (or with an emulator on Unix or Mac).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Blair

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lelibby can't send sysex messages to karma workstation, it works only as librarian, I tried it about a month ago.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"works only as a librarian..."

A librarian is exactly what you want in order to load a .pcg file, which the factory preload is. The factory preload contains the files for programs, combis, global settings and, in the case of KARMA, the stock GEs for playing interactive patterns.

No translation into sysex is required - if LeLibby's librarian function works and your KARMA plays the preload banks then you can save to KARMA's own floppy and you've essentially recreated the "original factory" floppy in every way possible except the label.

Data is data... the Korg label is does not convey any magical properties to a .pcg -- a continuing argument I have with my seven year old who insists that the Mac'n'Cheese with Spiderman on the box tastes better.

Good luck.

BB

fugmann

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very easy to to the job via diskettes. I did it last night. I purchased a floppy drive on Ebay (very cheap) which is connected to any PC via USB2.
Diskettes (1.44 MB) are still available on the market.
You will find an instruction included on the ZIP-file you download on www.korg.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Karma All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: