Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wavedrum and a guitar amp

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickcaroth1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Wavedrum and a guitar amp Reply with quote

Hi, I'm thinking of purchasing a wavedrum but trying to find out some info first.

Does anybody know if you can run the wavedrum out to a guitar amp? If so, does the amp require two inputs?

Also, if the wavedrum is going to a PA system, do you need two channels available?

Thanks!
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out these two threads:

Speaker suggestions
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=58679&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Good amplification for my wavedrum oriental and mini?
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=65440

RE: Guitar amps
Don't got that route. Guitar amps aren't designed to adequately produce the low-end that the Wavedrum is capable of. You'll be missing a lot of sound and probably stressing out the speaker. Also, when guitar or bass amps have two inputs, they are usually designed with different gain levels to accommodate different pickups, so using both won't provide much benefit and the signal level will likely be different between the two of them (this is especially true with bass amps).

RE: PA setups
You only really need to outputs if your using stereo sounds from the Wavedrum and if the PA is actually running in stereo. The factory sounds use mostly settings that are all panned to the center position, so using just one output should be fine if that's all you have to work with. Some of the more effected sounds (with delay, etc) may use some delay but you can always change that if you want in the Edit 1 Mode.

If you use any sounds with wide separation in the L/R panning, then you would want to use two outputs because unlike most other Korg products (and many, many others) there is no default mono output on the Wavedrum (usually the left output on most keyboards, for example).
Gizmo1300

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Re amps Reply with quote

I went to the music store with my wavedrum and tried a whole range of amps and definately found that you need one with good bass. Guitar amps just did not do it. If you are buying from a shop ask them to let you try some amps.
In relation to the mono vs stereo, I purchased a simple mixer with both mono and stereo inputs. This allows me to input my wavedrum, wavedrum mini, electric drum kit and ipod etc and includes a headphone output with the ability to balance them all. Seriously the best $150 spent.
Only problem with the speaker I went for is that it is a little large so not really portable for busking etc if thats what you want but you tend to be restricted to a power source anyway.
AMP/Speaker and mixer cost me around $550. A little high on top of the wavedrum but great.

I would have included a photo but not sure how to do so in the forum
nickcaroth1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers. I know guitar amps are not ideal, but I am doing some stuff with looping and was curious if it worked. Maybe a bass amp would work better?

I guess a single input cable will still work fine (although maybe not the best sound quality) into an amp.

What do you guys think is ideal then for this instrument, a PA system, powered monitors,etc.. ?
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bass amp will usually be better than a guitar amp but it won't be great.
Focus on some of the systems that are designed for electronic kits. Most of them will work quite well. But again, follow the links in my previous post. We covered all of this in fair detail already so the info is all there.

Re: Using one output only
I've been in plenty of live situations where the sound man was ONLY going to give me one channel for my Wavedrum, and it always sounded fine. Unless you are using a lot of stereo sounds or effects, and have a good relationship with the sound crew, don't worry about being limited to only one output. It will still sound awesome.
nickcaroth1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: