Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pros and cons with the Krome
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spinoria

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Pros and cons with the Krome Reply with quote

Just some short videos yet but what are the pros and cons so far?????

My 2 cents...

Pros
+ Good price
+ Light weight? (indicated by a video)
+ Should be good pianos for the money
+ Probably good synth sounds to

Cons
- No audio interface like the mox
- To few controllers
- No DAW integration
- No Korg komponent system
- Crappy organ sounds
- Even more crappy hammond sounds
Novation Ultranova, Korg M3 73, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Korg Poly 800 MK2, Korg Kaossilator, Korg Trident MK1, Nord Electro 3, Kurzweil PC3X, Kurzweil K2500X, Virus TI 61 , Alesis Micron, Kurzweil K2000, Kurzweil K2500R, Yamaha SK20, Hammond C3+ Leslie R22, PC running Brainspawn Forte with EMU Soundcard + IK Multimedia Sampletank 2.0 + Sonik Synth + Miroslav Philharmonik, Logic Mainstage Smile
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons with the Krome Reply with quote

spinoria wrote:

- No DAW integration

From KORG's website....

The Krome Editor and Krome Plug-In Editor allow you to edit your Krome from your computer while viewing large numbers of parameters simultaneously, or to use Krome in your DAW as if it were a software synthesizer.

Regards
Sharp.
javaj

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no aftertouch. Yeuck!
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

javaj wrote:
no aftertouch. Yeuck!

Same as the M50 which it's very likely the target audience considering the price.

It's an awesome deal.

Regards
Sharp.
Stargazer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ Full Polyphony (120)
+ Bigger screen
+ Extra Piano section

- Same "old" tone generator from M50
- Same effect section
- No aftertouch

There are a few other things worthy of later inspection, such as build quality and reliability, which was a minus of M50. These will be answered by time.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the amount of PCM.
The KROME has 3.8GB of PCM data.

The M50 has 256MB.

Regards
Sharp.
Stargazer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good marketing to come up with the 3.8 GB, but in fact in has the same old 256MB, while the rest of PCM memory is dedicated solely to the Piano section.

Although I don't own M50, those 256MB, for what I heard, are really good. But, it could have been better if they took over the Kronos engine with 314MB. Still, the price is good for what it offers. Of course, it's not flagship, so it is cut down here and there. Looks like a great board to me, but M50 does not look much inferior to it.
Ojustaboo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stargazer wrote:
It's a good marketing to come up with the 3.8 GB, but in fact in has the same old 256MB, while the rest of PCM memory is dedicated solely to the Piano section.

Although I don't own M50, those 256MB, for what I heard, are really good. But, it could have been better if they took over the Kronos engine with 314MB. Still, the price is good for what it offers. Of course, it's not flagship, so it is cut down here and there. Looks like a great board to me, but M50 does not look much inferior to it.

This YouTube clip has a korg guy saying many other sounds are from the kronos too.

http://www.youtube.com/v/OgF0aARbGeE&feature=player_embedded&autoplay=1
alfredokiwi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expected that the new version of the M50, the newbie Krome will incorporate DAW over USB, but it seems to use the old EDS engine or maybe a similar approach. This means that you need to perform a DAC to ADC conversion to record its sounds on a performance, a big drawback due the complexity and insertion of noise on the recording process. In other word the new Krome series donīt follow the advantages of other brands, for example Yamaha MOX with direct DAW over USB recording. No direct digital recording capabilities and this sounds very strange on a 2012 design.
alfredokiwi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ojustaboo wrote:
Stargazer wrote:

This YouTube clip has a korg guy saying many other sounds are from the kronos too.

http://www.youtube.com/v/OgF0aARbGeE&feature=player_embedded&autoplay=1

The current EDS synthesis has a very similar approach to the previous HI synthesis on the Trinity & TR series, because 256 MB linear memory is in reality 128 MB, and the TR with full expansion of RAM banks memory has the same amount as the M50 with only real 128 MB.
Only the five stages effects unit is one of the improvements on the M50 adverts, but because a DSP is managed via software algorithms maybe the TR engine has the capabilities of more insertion effects, maybe.

I canīt understand why Korg remains on the same PCM DSP platform without DAW and digital out capabilities, a feature much more important as 2 GB of samples for an "unlooped Grand Piano"..... is my point of view.

Watching the last video on youtube from andertons.co.uk is amazing the unit.... my congratulation to Korg about its new release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgF0aARbGeE&feature=player_embedded
andersborg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfredokiwi wrote:
I expected that the new version of the M50, the newbie Krome will incorporate DAW over USB, but it seems to use the old EDS engine or maybe a similar approach. This means that you need to perform a DAC to ADC conversion to record its sounds on a performance, a big drawback due the complexity and insertion of noise on the recording process. In other word the new Krome series donīt follow the advantages of other brands, for example Yamaha MOX with direct DAW over USB recording. No direct digital recording capabilities and this sounds very strange on a 2012 design.

Has it been stated that it doesn't support audio over USB?

The synth engine has nothing to do with whether audio would be transferred digitally over USB or not. It's all CPU/DSP software, and the output from the engine is of course digital.

I really hope they've added digital audio over USB, as it doesn't cost anything extra, and would make recording to a PC so much simpler. That was one of my main complaints about the M50.
alfredokiwi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andersborg wrote:

Has it been stated that it doesn't support audio over USB?

The synth engine has nothing to do with whether audio would be transferred digitally over USB or not. It's all CPU/DSP software, and the output from the engine is of course digital.

I really hope they've added digital audio over USB, as it doesn't cost anything extra, and would make recording to a PC so much simpler. That was one of my main complaints about the M50.

Of course, the EDS synthesis chip had an SPDIF output on one of its pin outs and maybe it would be possible to have a digital out on a M50, Pa500 and so. From DAC perspective this devices use more as 1 wire on its I/O data interface and here the only solution is to integrate an spdif external converter to the DAC digital bus in case the EDS spdif out is disabled from factory. I donīt know exactly if something external to add to the DAC bus is available in case the digital serial stream or SPDIF is not logical available on the EDS engine.

The PCM sound data stream is managed by the EDS PCM DSP on previous models and would be the same on the Krone. Because it manage not only the PCM ROM waves interpolation (sound mixing and playback), also the DSP for effects on each patch, EQ, etc, the CPU dosenīt care about sound generation. The CPU only manage the keybed pressed key/status scan, LCD screen, MIDI/USB interface, memory banks patch storage and retrieve to the EDS engine and panel board functions. Yes in the case of sound over USB in the same way as the Yamaha MOX the CPU should receive the digital stream from EDS sound chip because the EDS don't integrate a USB interface.

Also to have "audio in" you need to integrate an ADC converter, this would enable the Krone as sampler if RAM memory is integrated on the EDS engine and realtime vocoder and other voice effects if the DSP engine handles real time stream processing, is only an opinion.
andersborg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfredokiwi wrote:

Of course, the EDS synthesis chip had an SPDIF output on one of its pin outs and maybe it would be possible to have a digital out on a M50, Pa500 and so. From DAC perspective this devices use more as 1 wire on its I/O data interface and here the only solution is to integrate an spdif external converter to the DAC digital bus in case the EDS spdif out is disabled from factory. I donīt know exactly if something external to add to the DAC bus is available in case the digital serial stream or SPDIF is not logical available on the EDS engine.

The PCM sound data stream is managed by the EDS PCM DSP on previous models and would be the same on the Krone. Because it manage not only the PCM ROM waves interpolation (sound mixing and playback), also the DSP for effects on each patch, EQ, etc, the CPU dosenīt care about sound generation. The CPU only manage the keybed pressed key/status scan, LCD screen, MIDI/USB interface, memory banks patch storage and retrieve to the EDS engine and panel board functions. Yes in the case of sound over USB in the same way as the Yamaha MOX the CPU should receive the digital stream from EDS sound chip because the EDS don't integrate a USB interface.

Also to have "audio in" you need to integrate an ADC converter, this would enable the Krone as sampler if RAM memory is integrated on the EDS engine and realtime vocoder and other voice effects if the DSP engine handles real time stream processing, is only an opinion.

Right, sampling would affect production cost. Audio over USB would not.

To be honest I thought everything was running off of a CPU with DSP extensions to keep cost down. Thanks for explaining that point.
Chriskk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg should have included one VA synth. Then, the Krome would stand out even more.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons with the Krome Reply with quote

spinoria wrote:
Cons
- No audio interface like the mox
- To few controllers
- No DAW integration
- No Korg komponent system
- Crappy organ sounds
- Even more crappy hammond sounds

I still wonder why people come up with such conclusions...why is this a Con?
There is something that has all this...its called Kronos...can't afford it?
Too bad...lets not be nice to each other but be real.
You pay for what you get...Krome isn't meant to replace Kronos or M3,
it is meant for what it is...the Cons mentioned above are EXCATLY why it
is called Krome, why it costs less and why it is not a high end WS.
Spread your legs to how long your cover is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: