Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pros and cons with the Krome
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
icarusi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a lot about the Krome, sounds, keybed, overall look but the devil is in the details and the Krome has plenty. I don't think it's just the Krome though. I had a look at the competition, and once away from the preset-only boards, they fall well short of the better consumer goods needing 'interfacing'.

I was expecting because it's newer, with a big touch screen it would be better, but the touch screen seems to be more for preset choosing than editing. Once you get into the editing it all seems boiler-plated with little if any attention to how all the parts integrate. On the good side it hasn't crashed yet, and I'd take crash-resistance above all.

One typical aspect, the 'main' screen shows the master and ifx 'status' and you can access some of the levels, but I'd expect on a touch screen to touch those items and be taken to the full edit screen for them, or at least more than just levels, eg. change to different FX.

I didn't even spot the 'category' option til I'd read the manual.

It's really a case of guess the menu, and which button, or touch item invokes it. Even the Parameters doc doesn't show enough screen shots. It's all very well listing all the options if you're not on the right screen in the first place.

It all seems like something from a long time ago, which hasn't been updated for price or legacy reasons. Regular board buyers and users are probably used to this standard, but I expected better.

BTW even after V1.01 s/w the update, the on/off status of the global master and IFX isn't saved.

Numeric keypads with 7 top-left should be binned! It's a calculator/PC-keyboard standard. All phones and consumer IR-RCs (which we use the most) have 1 top-left, that's the *standard* now, so use it!
csteen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So given all of those problems you will have to sell it to me for say , oh I don't know, maybe $100.00 bucks Laughing
You did sound very disatisfied so perhaps $100.00 would be to steep? No?
The M50 is so very easy to navigate that I find it a total mystery how the new improved screen could possibly be a step back form that beauty...
Oh well, life is tuff, and we go on.... Wink
icarusi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csteen wrote:
The M50 is so very easy to navigate that I find it a total mystery how the new improved screen could possibly be a step back form that beauty...

Haven't checked an M50. How many button presses does it take to save to a SMF on an M50?
csteen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No buttons required you can do it all right from the touch screen. And a querty keyboard is included even for naming the file to make it as easy as can be. I am pretty sure the krome does the same thing. You can do the whole thing from media mode.
icarusi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csteen wrote:
No buttons required you can do it all right from the touch screen.
I'm including the touch screen in button presses. Just checked the M50 and it's virtually identical. So in 4 years Korg haven't changed much, in the time we've seen the iPhone and iPad emerge, and they seem to have been around much longer.

Now I've seen the M50 the only changes (AFAICS) are higher res and colour on the touch screen, but they've done very little which takes advantage of those improvements.

I think the microSampler does a more consistent job at organising things given its limited resources.
csteen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief how you consider the touch screen as a button is way beyond me lol. I will take touch screen over your buttons any day dude. lol.. Not to mention the new screen has draggable features .
It is so much easier getting around my sequencer than using buttons I can assure you. Wink
Piano roll is also on touch screen of the krome, now thats pretty cool.
icarusi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csteen wrote:
Good grief how you consider the touch screen as a button is way beyond me lol. I will take touch screen over your buttons any day dude. lol.. Not to mention the new screen has draggable features .
It is so much easier getting around my sequencer than using buttons I can assure you. Wink
Piano roll is also on touch screen of the krome, now thats pretty cool.

In my world the fewer button or screen presses I need to do the better, so 'write' button to SNG is ok, whereas, media>save tab>drop menu>save as SMF>side menu>select sequence>ok, isn't, to do the same thing as 'write' to SNG.
The better option would be to save both SNG and SMF, ideally both, from the same 'write' button, because the Krome *must* have SNG or SMF for loading back after a power-off. SNG is preferable for the Krome and SMF is preferable for every other use, unless Korg furnishes an SNG to SMF file converter for PC, Mac and Linux.
uniformedservices1969

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by uniformedservices1969 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
uniformedservices1969

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weighing the pro's & con's of Korg's touch screen seems fairly trivial....unless of course,one is upset about the missing faders.

Never had much use for faders much,but one thing I will miss a bit,is a ribbon controller....but given the low price of the Krome,it's nearly pointless to even mention the lack of this control.

As for navigating through menus using manual physical controls,that's fine with me,as long has the screen layout makes sense.

With regard to the overall layout of the on-screen menus of Korgs..perhaps I'm a bit biased in saying this(since I've been a Korg user for 20+ years),but I think the navigation though Korg menus are seamless(at least more so than the MOX6 I had).

Can't speak for Roland,as I've never had one.
icarusi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uniformedservices1969 wrote:

As for navigating through menus using manual physical controls,that's fine with me,as long has the screen layout makes sense.

It probably makes sense in engineering terms, but that's the problem. It's not just Korg or keyboards. The trend is to improve products by adding more stuff if you don't come up with anything radically new. But with 'add more' comes complexity and then the problem of accessing it all. First we had lots of knobs, then we had few knobs but screens and menus. Then we went back to more knobs *and* screens and menus.

I think the Krome is Korgs iPhone 4S. If you have an M50 you can probably manage until the Krome2, but iPhones are a yearly update not every leap year.

Quote:
With regard to the overall layout of the on-screen menus of Korgs..perhaps I'm a bit biased in saying this(since I've been a Korg user for 20+ years),but I think the navigation though Korg menus are seamless(at least more so than the MOX6 I had).

Can't speak for Roland,as I've never had one.

I think that's telling. I haven't bothered much with keyboards for more than 2 decades, but I've seen other things move on in useablity. The Krome is 2008 standard usability dropped into 2012, which isn't really good enough. I don't know if it's a numbers game, that they don't sell in enough numbers to warrant rejigging the interface on any but the top tier and use trickle down, not just Korg but all the tech music makers.I had a look at the MOX6 and expected the Krome to be useably better, which it is, but so was the M50 in 2008.

I think it is a Catch 22 though. The mini boards have limited aspirations so it's easier to focus on a narrower feature set. The top end jiust throw money at it, but the mid level they can't do either so more likely to get the short end.
uniformedservices1969

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by uniformedservices1969 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
icarusi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People that own Kronos keyboards,certainly have a valid reason to complain about the features of it's screen functions...since the Krome has more advanced features in that respect...

Agreed.

Quote:
but anyone being hyper-critical about the Krome's screen menus..really should just forget about Yamaha,Korg and Roland workstations and just go buy a StudioBLADE workstation and just buy whatever customized add-ons that they want.

The Krome is a much simpler beast than the Kronos, virtually identical display/menu arrangement to the M50 from *4 years ago*. It should be better, as should offerings from the competition in 2012+.

There's always room for a newcomer such as Studioblade when the established makers are too much 'me too'-ing. I remember looking at new keyboards about 2 years ago and mentioning to sales guys things hadn't seemed to have moved on much since the 2-odd decades since I got a Kawai K1 and nobody disagreed. Apart from the niche VL-1 everything else has been brute force or retro.
uniformedservices1969

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

icarusi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very similar menu layouts-yes,but with DAW-like functionality...which is about as good as it's ever going to get for a budget hardware workstation...as least until such time as Korg-type screens become common-place in all brands of workstations and then,Korg will have to step up it's game a bit more.

Or until the Koreans look for a new market. As a contrast I got a 'new' LG 3D TV recently it was circa 700 UKP initially about 6 months ago. I got it for 500 UKP (admittedly a very good price, even got something off the Krome). It has the instruction manual *in* the TV accessed from a button on the RC. The 'smart' menus are iPad style, L-R scrolling. It's pretty much the standard now iThings, TVs, phones, satnavs. Even on the 'inputs' screen, the most recently used input icons move and group to the left, where the screen commences. It's not all great. Samsungs have a better EPG display and PIP, but passive 3D currently has a brighter display, no ambient flicker, lighter and cheaper glasses. The vertical resolution isn't full 1080 and can show more diagonal jaggies but the overall experience is more restful, not that watching any 3D for long is restful.
solegremusic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Cons- hard to use as a controller Reply with quote

I use the Mpc 2500 as a sequencer so I connect the krome to the midi input and I get no signal when I read the operation guide it showed how you can use it as a controller but the example shows the Korg being connected directly to the hardware module I need it to hook up to the Mpc but that's not the case. Do any of you have any ideas and is there something I need to adjust in the krome to make it work. I know the chances of y'all using the Akai is slim but I'm not asking about the Akai I'm asking about operating the krome if I can get it working I'm sure the Akai will work with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: