Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Krome killed the SV1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShaunKorg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Krome killed the SV1 Reply with quote

If this thing is going to be priced the way I think it is, why would you buy an SV1? And why would Korg make an SV2?

The Kronos EP's are in the Krome and they are better than the SV1 (from what I've heard at least).

Haven't heard the organs but I doubt they could be worse than the SV1.

The Krome 88 is 10 lbs lighter than the SV1 73.

Plus splits n layers...

Yeah the SV1 is dead.
redrobin62

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the average amount of time between keyboard models anyway? About 3 years. Tastes change so fast it seems almost inevitable they will release a SV-2. I could already see them adding more memory, more velocity layers, etc. If they can find some way of expanding the tone wheel section for the organs they'll have a winner.
ShaunKorg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could go with that logic, but I don't think they could sell an SV2 for less than the Krome.

But I hope I'm wrong.
whirlyberg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MEH.

To be honest, the Krome looks like "Just another workstation"

While your reasons for citing why the Krome may be better sounding than the SV1, it certaintly doesn't have the soul of the SV1. You must not see the appeal of a no-brainer easy to use interface that is made solely for stage/performance. Just looking at the Krome dulls my senses, thinking about having to navigate through some likely complicated interface. There is a looks factor to everything too.

If Hyundai made a car that went faster than a Ferrari, it would still be a Hyundai, and I would still want that hot red Ferrari.

I just checked,

Yes - it's still there.
flyingace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Whirlyberg. One of the reasons I bought the SV-1 was because I wanted a simple, easy to use keyboard with good vintage sounds (mainly piano & EP/Wurly). I didn't want a workstation with tons of menus and buttons, etc. I got exactly what I wanted.

When I go into my music room with an idea or want to show my daughter a vocal line correction, etc. I use my SV-1 first! It comes on quicker than my Roland Juno Gi, Starts on a Rhodes EP sound and is ready to go, no menus, no fuss!

The krome looks impressive and if I get rid of my Juno, I may consider it though.

ALSO, every time someone new comes into my music room, they don't comment about the roland, they say "WOW, that is a cool looking keyboard!" when they see the SV-1. They are usually then impressed with how it "lights" up and then the way it sounds blows the away.
javaj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irony- they call it Krome- but it looks monochrome. Where is the soul?
ShaunKorg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I agree. I like board that is more instrument than computer. I’m not happy the SV2 is doomed. But I think it is…
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Krome will not kill the SV-1. They are completely different instruments for difference target audience, users with unlike taste/needs.

They both can imitate some other common instruments, but the sound, the feel of the keyboard, the interface, the look etc. are not the same - and it's very important.
ShaunKorg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the purpose and feel, but the Krome 88 is only $1,599. It has tons of sounds, can split, layer, and probably automatically do your tax returns.

The SV1 88 has very few (good but old) sounds and does much less. It costs $1,699.00 AFTER the price drop.

I just don’t see how that math works in our favor for getting a SV2.
javaj

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Korg has discovered the secret- re-issue the same technology in different color and keybed combinations. Maybe a blue SV-1 is coming eventually- maybe yellow (just not green- please not green).

A white one would be sick as well- with a Krome and black front panel (hehehe).

You got to admit- it is really heard to improve on the technology in a really meaningful way beyond dropping down the top end stuff to the entry level boards.

Plus with everyone moving to computers, it's a way to differentiate among the rest of the boring manufacturers.
ShaunKorg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to expand on what I said a little because I don’t want to sound like a prick or an SV1 hater.

I’ve had experience working for several manufacturers. At the end of the day customer input matters very little. What matters is input from retailers on what they think they can actually sell. Based on the specs and the past sales of the SV1 I doubt very much that retailers are demanding an SV2.

I want an SV2. But be honest, if you owned a music store and your paycheck depended on trying to sell the Krome or some kind of SV2, what would you tell Korg to do?
flyingace

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaunKorg: Good point! from that perspective... yup, the sv2 would be dead.

Personally I just got done paying off my SV1 back in May (musicians friend card, no interest pay off!) I'm not about to take a loss trying to get rid of my SV1 to upgrade to SV2 or Krome either for that matter.

If I spend money to purchase anything it will probably be something a vintage synth or something that my SV1 or Roland Juno Gi can't do.

Really at the end of the day, for my non-pro needs, what I have takes care of almost all that I am actually capable of.

So I'm contented to own my boards right out and happy with what they do. It will take the manufacturers coming up with something truly groundbreaking at a good price to get me to purchase again... as Korg did when they snagged me with the AWESOME SV1!
ClaytonE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me my SV-1 is the perfect instrument and is not on it's deathbed.
The Korg Krome might have more and various features, but IMHO lacks the soul of an instrument...the look...the feel...the vibe... As technology increases there is always the "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" aspect of any musical instrument... So... I'll keep my SV-1 until I am on my deathbed, not my SV-1s... Rolling Eyes
flyingace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClaytonE wrote:
To me my SV-1 is the perfect instrument and is not on it's deathbed.
The Korg Krome might have more and various features, but IMHO lacks the soul of an instrument...the look...the feel...the vibe... As technology increases there is always the "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" aspect of any musical instrument... So... I'll keep my SV-1 until I am on my deathbed, not my SV-1s... Rolling Eyes

Tell it Clayton! ha ha I agree and it's what made me, after looking at all the over the top confusing menu driven million button workstation/synth/stage keys out there, buy my SV1!

Now if we could just get Korg to quit treating us like the red-headed step-children!!
johnroney

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: lots of speculation Reply with quote

it seems that there's a lot of market predictions floating around here. don't forget that we keep the sv1 alive and promote the concept of the sv2. if enough people buy the sv1 and its accessories, korg will simply look at the data and decide to release an update later on. if not, well, the nord products definitely fill that void.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: