Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monitors for piano

View previous topic :: View next topic  
synthmanq

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Monitors for piano Reply with quote

Hi, I'm looking for a pair of good (and budget?) monitors for my M3 for playing piano at home. I understand it is almost impossible to get proper bass, but anyway, what should I look for?
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=72044
synthmanq

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm specifically looking for a good piano sound from monitors. I have checked Krks, Yamahas etc in Music Center but they all sounded weak, specially on bass notes. I guess it will be difficult.
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthmanq wrote:
Thanks, I'm specifically looking for a good piano sound from monitors. I have checked Krks, Yamahas etc in Music Center but they all sounded weak, specially on bass notes. I guess it will be difficult.

A 10" or 12" subwoofer will do the trick.
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 @ orpheus2006,

You can use a common sub like that you'd find in a decent computer speaker system (i.e., 2.1 stereo speakers) to get the low end on your piano and the thud for drums and such. They're out there; used and new.

If you aren't strictly looking for audiophile monitoring you might even want to go with just an upscale computer speaker set - it's already matched for cross-over points and should be able to handle low to moderately loud volumes without too much distortion. A speaker at either end of your piano and a sub on the floor would give you enough separation for a stereo audio picture in a small space.

You want to look for a powered sub so there's no extra amp involved.

If you aren't headphone averse there are a lot of high end sets that have very good sound including low end response - also apartment friendly.

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
ajay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:

If you aren't strictly looking for audiophile monitoring you might even want to go with just an upscale computer speaker set - it's already matched for cross-over points and should be able to handle low to moderately loud volumes without too much distortion. A speaker at either end of your piano and a sub on the floor would give you enough separation for a stereo audio picture in a small space.

I'm in the process of getting proper monitors for M3 as well and the idea of computer speakers is interesting. Any recommendations on good brands or models? Thank you.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need a definition of "proper" monitor.

The detailed and industry standard studio monitors have been written up elsewhere. That you're looking at KRK and Yamaha studio monitors means that you've done your homework - and are willing to at least consider the bigger budget needed for these products. That's OK, provided that's the level you are really shooting for.

A $100-200 set of Altec (just as an example) computer speakers (2.1) would do for most computer applications - gaming, video, and listening to music for example - and sound way better than the dinky speakers in the computer itself, both from a volume and fidelity standpoint... and so would also be good for what is an essentially full range program coming from your M3 (esp. w/ drums &/or KARMA running).

I hit on this because I has looking for a system I could leave hooked up with my Emu Command Stations for editing purposes in a very small space. I had tried a couple of small combo amps I had that were less-than-satisfying from the standpoint of sound quality. There was no room for bigger amps. I finally hit on hooking up an old computer sound system I had lying around. This wasn't even remotely 1st tier stuff - I think I had spent maybe $40 at a best buy blow-out - but when I hooked it up it sounded surprisingly good, especially with the sub handing the low end demand.

Such systems tho' are not flat, not without coloration, and are certainly not optimal for mastering your recordings.

The advantage they do have is (1) they're less expensive, (2) the full range is covered (with sub) in stereo, (3) they're multi purpose in that they can be integrated into your computer/instrument/amp set-up pretty simply and (4) physical size means that they can be "in your face" (or more to the point "at your ears") rather than on the floor as keyboard amps would likely be.

BB

+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
ajay

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I don't care about mastering, just good or pleasing piano and karma sounds.

I see Altec and Logitech have a range of products from cheap to expensive. Any particular model recommendation?
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Model) Not really, just budget what you can justify -- if you weren't going to be able to use it as a keyboard monitor would you feel you'd spent way too much for a computer system if it didn't work out? For me that number is around $100 to $150. That's the point that I'd wish I'd shelled out for a set of Dr. Dre Beats, if only for the cool factor as I listened to my iPod.

The more you spend the higher the quality you get, if only considered from speaker diameter and magnet weight (which effect frequency range and volume) - when you hit the point that there's actually a tweeter/woofer combo in the upper speaker you'll be hitting the better sounding range.

One final thought, and that's how you're going to make the connection -- the speakers I used had a 1/8" stereo mini plug to get signal from a sound card. I just stuck on a decent RTS 1/4" adapter and jacked into the headphone output. Voila!

Try to pay attention to ensure that the speaker/computer connection is one that you can easily adapt to the M3 since it is extremely unlikely to be a 1/4" phone plug; mini to phone is easy but you can't find adapters that will allow you to use bare wire (hi-fi) or non-phone/phono plugs (like a proprietary DIN or USB) nearly as easily.

BB

bfburkejr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Monitors for M3 Reply with quote

Try a pair of Samson Resolv A8's they sound great for the $ and have decent bass down to 40 Hz or so. Only way to do better for the $ is make your own and even then you would be hard pressed to make a pair of good sounding powered nearfields with 8" woofers for what the SAmson's Cost. If I remember correctly mine cost arond $300-$400 for the pair. Over 100 watts amplification per speaker. Silk dome os easy on the ears for nearfield use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: