Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does the [Timbre Select] Switch ONLY Allow Timbre Editing???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jive Talking Robot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Does the [Timbre Select] Switch ONLY Allow Timbre Editing??? Reply with quote

It has occurred to me that the "Timbre Select" switch on the front panel does not do what I hoped it would: namely, switch the keyboard from being able to play timbre 1 to timbre 2 in a multi program. What it seems to do is allow you edit timbre 2, but not actually play it directly from the MicroKorg XL's keyboard... it seems you need a second controller to do that! The manual only ever mentions the purpose of the switch is to allow you to edit the 2 timbre, so it reinforces this notion.

"Yes" I have set up the program correctly up as a multi with a second, separate patch on timbre 2 and "Yes" I have assigned timbre 2 to a different MIDI channel. I have it connected directly to my MonoMachine... the MonoMachine "keyboard" (i.e. little trigger keys) will play both of the XL timbres depending on the MIDI track I have selected. So far so good. But flipping the [Timbre Select] switch on the XL+ does not, in fact, allow the XL+ keyboard to play the 2 Timbre... it only allows the knobs to edit it.

Is this correct? Could some kind soul confirm this for me? Or do I have a bum XL+?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multitimbral mode is mostly used for layering two different sounds together on the same keys, or in some implementations (not sure if the MK does this) splitting across the keyboard.

I think changing the MIDI channel is for fairly 'advanced' users. On the Radias though for example, timbre select buttons do make the timbre played by the master keyboard and respond to the knobs too.

If you wanted to play two different sounds with the built in keyboard, they probably just intend you to change patches. It's unlikely to be a 'fault' though. It's probably just the way it's designed.

Faulty hardware would most commonly manifest itself in more random and obscure ways than specifically disabling a specific feature - because there aren't really discrete circuits relating specifically to this feature (besides the button and LED itself. Presumably if the LED is changing then the button is working because the changing of the LED itself will be handled after the software detects the button press).
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Jive Talking Robot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks X. I had it confirmed on GS that this is how the Timbre Select switch is designed to work - at least I know the XL+ is behaving as intended. And at the end of the day, it's not as if the synth has multiple stereo outs, so this is not that big of a deal.

Though "Timbre Select" is technically accurate, I think the term "Timbre Edit Select" or "Layer Edit Select" would have been less confusing. Korg mentioning the synth as multi timbrel in their specs is also techncially accurate, but again, confusing as you can't actually play the 2nd timbre independently from the first (out side of a split) from the XL+'s own keyboard.
Jive Talking Robot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to double confirm, Korg support sent me the following:

"This knob is just for editing and does not toggle between individual timbres of a program. "

So there you have it. May this appear in a google search and answer some future quesiton. Smile
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are your options when trying to play 2 timbres separately with mKXL and mKXL+, however none of them is fully satisfying:

1. Use 2 different programs and store them e.g. as A12 and B12. Use the Bank Select switch to quickly swap between both. It is quick and easy, however it abrubtly cuts the sound of the program that is swapped out and has some delay.

2. Use 2 timbres and select split mode. Choose e.g. C4 as split note. This maps 2 octaves of one timbre and 1 octave of the second timbre over the keyboard. Using the octave switch you can "choose" which timbre is played. Disadvantage is that you need to remember which direction to flip the octave lever.

3. Use the modwheel to mix the 2 timbres. Set your program in layer mode.
Timbre 1:
set the amp level to 127, create a virtual patch to connect the modwheel to control the amp level, set the patch intensity to -63, set vibrato intensity to 0, make sure the modwheel is not in any other virtual patch.
Turning the modwheel up will fade out timbre 1.

Timbre 2:
set the amp level to 127, set the osc1 level to 0, create a virtual patch to connect the modwheel to control the osc1 level, set the patch intensity to 63, set vibrato intensity to 0, make sure the modwheel or the osc1 level is not in any other virtual patch. Create more virtual patches if osc2 and/or the noise oscillator are active as well.
Turning the modwheel up will fade in timbre 2.

Turning the modwheel half way make both timbres to sound at the same moment.

Quite complicated and limiting the sound crafting possibilities. Remark also that in this approach the number of voices is reduced to 4.

Happy tweaking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: