Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pa2x PRO - led lights are ON all the time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dimmed leds cannot be repaired, but they suggest me to replace pcb board (they didn't know the price).
I found PCB right panel borad on this site:

If this is the classic PA2XPro LED problem, Korg will replace the boards whether in or out of warranty.
Korg Italy have formally specified in these forums, NOT to replace LEDS but to replace the boards.

I had this problem and even out of warranty, Korg honoured the repair.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete
The issue with LEDs in Pa2X is commonly known , have to do with over-voltage tolerance of LEDs of wrong estimated
voltage of their power regulator , where defected diode is electrically burn in and not dimmed !
Dolenjcek faces different issue , some board LEDs have been soldered and replaced , so dimmed leds
seem to be the cause of LEDs driver chipset as referred above.
All my mates that tried to replace Pa2X board leds , faced exactly the same symptoms until they followed my advices !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
JohnWilliams

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LED burning shouldn't occur - although I've seen it reported with reference to some China imported products before.

Good LEDs have fault at about 0.02%

you may wish to visit my preferred LED group for products and/or information http://www.ledcanada.com/
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnWilliams wrote:
LED burning shouldn't occur -

Definitely any LED will be burned if voltage or current supply is out of tolerance even the bigger 3W LEDs ,
technicians are very aware of what had happened there ...

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
olegnakorg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Quote:
Dimmed leds cannot be repaired, but they suggest me to replace pcb board (they didn't know the price).
I found PCB right panel borad on this site:

If this is the classic PA2XPro LED problem, Korg will replace the boards whether in or out of warranty.
Korg Italy have formally specified in these forums, NOT to replace LEDS but to replace the boards.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy

G'day karmathanever, I've recently cleaned the pa2xpro with pure aclohol (that's what the tech guy recommended) but I still have the problem of the dimly lit led's. The company that was the distributor for Korg in Australia went bankrupt (music link ) Can you please tell me who the current Korg distributor in Australia is so that I can request a board replacement. If I can't get Korg to replace the board I will try Antony Sharman's latest tip using detergent to clean. I'm desperate to keep the pa2xpro in a working condition. It is generally a great instrument with a great keyboard and I have invested a great deal of time in it. I'd be very upset if I have to throw it in the rubbish bin. Thanks........
CodyCurtis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pa2x PRO - led lights are ON all the time Reply with quote

Dolenjcek wrote:
Hi!

Today I noticed some strange thing. Some of
led light keep on burning, even when booting keyboard.
These are Player1 - Play, Harmony, Upper, Performance Select, Piano, Organ & Trumpet.

They light in dimmed state (less than normal).
Any clue what's going on? Everything else seems normal. The buttons are working well.

Oh, forgot to mention. Half a year ago, lower led beside Favorite button stopped working. Synth was purchased in december 2010.

Generally such issues dont occur? Were you able to find the exact reason behind burning lights?

Last edited by CodyCurtis on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dolenjcek

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, burning lights are still there.
Sometimes, when i turn on keyboard at home, lights are normal (they don't burn) for few minutes, than they begin.

Now also Exit button sometimes works, sometimes not so I'm trying to replace whole circuit board, but I can't find where to buy it in Europe. On guitar-parts costs little less than 100$.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote:

What did Korg say - did you contact them regarding this?
I don't know if they will still honour this after all this time.

As I said, I had this exact same problem and Korg fixed it (went via my retailer and distributor)

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Dolenjcek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actualy, Korg Adria did not respond. I'm still waiting, but I've lost any hope.

I have already asked on this forum but nobody answered, where to buy this spare part in EU?
Dolenjcek

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to finish my story.

I bought new pcb board from Master service in Italy, it costed 89€ + shipping, I got it in three working days.

One night later I replaced board on my own (I am not an electrician or so), I've shooted some photos if anyone is interested:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/521589/Korg_Pa2x_changing_board.pdf

File is approx 16MB due to large photos.

Now I have spare right pcb board, with some dimmed led-s Wink

I'd like to thank all of you for your help and suggestions.

Regards,

Dolenjcek
Stratario

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today this problem happened to my Pa2X. Suddenly I noticed there were a bunch of LEDs that were dimly lit on both sides. I have never moved my keyboard from its stand in the house. Never spilled anything on it. The board has never been soldered or messed with in any way.

In the case of the original post in this topic apparently the problem was limited to only the right side. In this case the problem exists on both sides. So I am thinking it cannot be a bad board. I have sent an email to the Korg distributor in Canada but I have not heard back from them. Any thought on the subject would be appreciated.

Also regarding Anthony Sheraman's recommendation to soak the board in strong detergent, I am wondering what kind of detergent. Something like a dish washing detergent? Dilute it with water, or straight detergent? Can you please be more specific? Thanks.

Fred
Dolenjcek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In PM I sent you link with my file and file Pete sent me to open your toy.

In my (of course non professional) opinion, these boards just have bad design. Try to clean contacts first. I doubt it will help though.

Dolenjcek
Stratario

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Dolenjcek for sending the files. It's much appreciated.

Fred

Last edited by Stratario on Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dolenjcek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem at all. We're here to help each other.
If you have any other questions regarding this, just ask.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under Request ...
Stratario wrote:
In the case of the original post in this topic apparently the problem was limited to only the right side.
In this case the problem exists on both sides. So I am thinking it cannot be a bad board. Fred

Fred , main panel boards have among others , memory logic circuits (flip-flops) that hold the state of a push-on
switch and current drivers that supply leds and there is no intermediate state of dimmed Leds.
The burned out faulty leds is another issue that all know that Pa2X initially had , but there was no dim phenomenon
there so this case is excluded !

Therefore ...
- When you notice a local area of dimmed leds , it can be caused by a not volatile liquid or extensive environment humidity
or (more rare) board malfunction and board must be replaced.
- If you notice the whole panel dimmed with random leds illumination , then this is definitely caused either by any reason
of extreme humidity (over 98%) nor by a non volatile liquid like spilled alcohol or sugar drinks , and must be carefully cleaned
as described above , before damaged under power supply !

I always assume what is wrong in any similar case when investigate it in my lab but I can't make a prognosis of what
can have caused it by correspondence !
The fact is that board logic circuits are malfunctioning 'cause of a conductive leakage between copper strips or IC pins !

Hope I've provided you a comprehensive description !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: